Subject: New Advantage: comments wanted
From: Anthony Jackson <[email-masked]>

Hm...this might not be necessary, but I'd like comments on it.

Partial Combat Reflexes: 2 per level, max 5 levels.
    For every level of partial combat reflexes, add +1 to IQ rolls against
mental stun _in combat_, and subtract one turn from the die roll for total
surprise.  If you have any level of this advantage, add +1 to resist fright
checks for _combat_ effects only.  This will also add to rolls against battle
fatigue, if using the rules from CII.
    This advantage may be purchased or increased after character creation. 
This advantage may be upgraded to full combat reflexes by paying points equal
to the difference.

Clarification on combat reflexes:
    It is possible to be mentally stunned in non-combat situations,
particularly social situations.  Combat reflexes do not help here.  Rapier wit
will count as combat reflexes in these situations, however.

'realistic' combat reflexes:
    The total immunity to surprise given by combat reflexes is moderately
unrealistic.  To be more realistic, assume that total surprise still
automatically makes you mentally stunned for a full turn; however, you may use
that action to take a 'reflex' action, and you do not take the -4 penalty on
surprise actions.  Normally, reflex actions do _not_ include attacking; if you
want your character to have attack reflexes this should be specially noted on
the character sheet, specifying when and how you will attack; if these
situations come up you will be required to make an IQ to _avoid_ attacking, if
attacking is inappropriate.  Note that the 'situations where you will attack'
should be very simply defined, and should not require any information which the
GM might require a perception roll to notice....
    Most people will react at -1 to someone with 'attack' reflexes, if this
fact is known.

------------  Jonathan Lang  --------------+-----------------------------------
   "Dataweaver", mailto:[email-masked]    | The Dogma of Otherness insists
  "BTfL", mailto:[email-masked]   | that all voices deserve a hearing,
  mailto:[email-masked]   | that all points of view have
Web: http://www.io.com/~traveler/site.html | something of value to offer.
Archive: ftp://ftp.io.com/pub/usr/traveler | --David Brin, "Otherness"