Subject: Re: Sociology (Kromm -- erratta)
From: MA Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:07:23 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Hunter Johnson wrote:

>You're welcome, but that doesn't get us any closer to publishing it.
>Like I said, *someone* has to write it -- it doesn't exist, and so
>can't be added until it does.  Either you can write it for use in your
>games, and some GURPS author can write it for inclusion in her book,
>but until then, we're stuck.

I still think its basically Anthropology, why does GURPS need more 
incredibly finely divided skills?  But if you insist:

Sociology  (IQ/Hard)  IQ-6, Anthropology-3, Psychology-6
Sociology is the study of the structures of human social groups, collective
behaviors, institutions and social change.  Sociology skill can be used to 
design meaningful surveys, determine the prejudices and stresses existing
in a group, explain the purpose of particular social institutions, and 
predict the likely responses of a large group to a particular influence.

Anthropology defaults to Sociology-5

Job Table
Survey Taker* (Sociology 8+)  $500  Sociology or Fast Talk   -1d/-2d, arrested
Sociologist (Sociology 12+, alternate skill#-10+)  $2000  Best PR  -2i/LJ

# allowable alternate skills include Anthropology, Criminology and
  Theology [Marxist]

Any GURPS author who absolutely can't live without this skill is welcome
to try to get this writeup into print.

- -- MA Lloyd ([email-masked])

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:19:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Sociology skill?

Then what *would* a sociology skill consist of?

I'd say:

Sociology	M/H	Anthropology-4, Psychology-4, Xenology-4

	This is the study of human society and human social behavior. A
successful skill roll will allow a character to identify the roles of
various social
groups within a society and their interactions with other social
groups. It will also allow him to conduct demographic surveys
and draw accurate conclusions about social attitudes, mores, and
demographic composition from that data.
	This skill will also allow a character to predict the possible
behavior of a distinct social group under certain circumstances.
	Optional Specialization is allowed within this skill. If there is
more than one sentient race in the campaign, then specialization by race
(or closely linked group of races) is required. Sociology for one species
defaults to Sociology (Different Species)-4.
	This skill defaults to Xenology-4 when dealing with an alien race. 

	Thomas Barnes