Subject: RE: a new race write up (warning, long!)
From: "Weiss, Phillip 2-3976" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:34:01 -0500

I liked your posting of Kobolds so much, I took the liberty of editing
your text in terms of its spelling and grammar, and tightened up some
excessive, ackward, or confusing passages.  Hope you don't mind.  Here
is the finished product:

Kobolds

By [email-masked]

Kobolds are small (2' shorter than normal for ST; normal weight for
their height) scaled humanoids.  They have claws, small horns, and a
snout-like mouth filled with sharp fangs.  Their scales range in color
from brown and green to blue and black, and are similar in texture to
those of snakes.  Kobolds seldom wear more clothing other than a kilt or
breeches. 

Advantages and Disadvantages:

Kobolds have ST -2 (-15), DX +1 (10), HT +1 (10), and -2 Hit Points
(-10).  Radical advantages are Claws (15), DR +1 (5), Night  Vision
(10), and 1 level of Silence (5).  Racial disadvantages include Reduced
Move (-5), Bloodlust (-10), Bully (-10), and Reputation -2 (nasty little
bastards) (-10).  Kobolds possess the Racial Quirk "keeps language
secret" and the racially learned skills Brawling at DX-1 (1/2) and
Stealth at DX-2 (1/2).
It costs 5 points to play a Kobold.

Kobold NPCs should be built on 50 to 75 points with the occasional
Kobold hero being built on 100 or more.

Psychology

Kobolds are among the cruelest of the intelligent races.  The same small
size that has contributed to the agreeableness of gnomes and halflings
has produced in Kobolds a terrible maliciousness.
Kobolds derive considerable pleasure from dominating others.  This
applies to their own species as well as to bigger races.  A kobold's
first reaction on meeting someone is to size them up and determine how
far they can push the other person.
Normally, Kobolds live in tribes of 50 to 200 individuals.  These tribes
are usually made up of several extended families.  The strongest family
will be in charge and that family's head will be the tribal chief (who
of course takes great joy in being the one in charge)
Kobolds speak their own language and often know Black Speech (the tongue
of most evil humanoids) as well.  Kobolds living in cities will speak
whatever language the locals do, but will use their own tongue at home.
They will not willingly teach their languages to other races.  They
fancy it a secret language that they can use to malign others in front
of their faces! 
While they do not paint or sculpt, Kobolds usually decorate their own
burrows with ornate carvings of wood and bone.  They are very fond of
jewelry, especially armbands and bracelets.  Many Kobold jewelers are
quite skillful producing beautiful work.

Ecology

Kobolds are primarily meat eaters, although they supplement their diet
with many roots and herbs (but never grains).  They keep cattle and
other livestock, and hunting parties supplement their diet with game.
Male Kobolds are polygamous if they can afford to be.  Having extra
wives means having more people to boss around!  Females are not allowed
multiple husbands.  Pregnancy takes about eleven months and multiple
births are uncommon, but within six or seven months the female can
conceive again so Kobolds are usually able to maintain their population
with little trouble.
Kobolds mature and age fairly quickly, puberty ends at 8 and most are
considered adults by age 12.  Aging rolls begin normally at 40 and
accelerate at 55 and 70.  However most Kobolds die at the hands of
another Kobold.  Those who survive into their later years are probably
quite dangerous.
Magery is quite rare in Kobolds, perhaps one in 200 have magery 1, with
far fewer having Magery 2 or 3.  However, when they do have the
advantage, they can make excellent spellcasters, although their low
fatigue can be a handicap.

Culture

Kobolds on their own normally group into tribes with several families.
One family will be dominant with the families head being the tribal
chief.  He assigns various duties in a fashion that ideally places
members of his own family into positions of authority.
This is not as simple as it sounds, however.  Generally, the chief's
family represents only about 10% of the tribe's members and he must
placate the other families or risk his own ouster.  Since Kobold
coup-de-tas tend to be quite bloody, he has to balance power and keep
the families from uniting against him.
Kobolds constantly vie for dominance in a manner similar to some
carnivore species in nature.  One achieves status by exemplifying the
Kobold virtues of which the most valued is guile.  Stealth, trickery,
and skill are the keys to survival for the smaller, weaker Kobolds in a
world of bigger, stronger opponents, and these are the qualities that
establish worth in their culture.  This does not mean that all Kobolds
are bald-faced liars, however.  A blatant lie is usually quickly
discovered and, since no one trusts the word of a liar, you will never
be given any authority.  A true Kobold coup would be to arrange a great
embarrassment for his enemy without breaking his word, doing it in such
a way that everyone believes the Kobold's enemy is the one responsible
for his own ill fortune.
Kobold Myth tells how their patron deity Karak found them when the world
was young.  The larger races had quickly enslaved the smaller, weaker
Kobolds.  Legend tells that Karak helped Kobolds escape to the "between
places", the barren or uninhabited territories where they now live.  He
taught them the skills to survive there.  Karak also taught them guile
and stealth to better fight the "Big' uns".  An old Kobold saying,
supposedly the first thing that Karak imparted, is "letting your enemy
choose the battlefield is putting a knife to your own throat."
Kobold warriors favor shortswords, hatchets, knives, and crossbows.
Armor is usually boiled leather, although every warrior wants, and most
tribal leaders and chiefs have, chain or scale mail.  Kobold mercenary
units are occasionally encountered and are usually employed as light
infantry, scouts, or skirmishers.
Although magery is rare, every tribe will have at least one good witch,
with larger tribes having several.  There are also usually a few priests
of Karak and his god-clan.  Both groups will be quite skilled (75 to 100
point characters except for apprentices).
Kobolds prefer warm temperate climates and will if possible live
underground.  Natural caves are sometimes used, but they prefer to dig
their own burrows.  Usually, they begin by digging a large pit, roofing
it over, and re-covering the top.  This central chamber will be the
Kobold equivalent of a village square and branching tunnels will then be
dug for individual homes and storage.  Ventilation, chimneys, and the
entrances are all moderately concealed (vision rolls at no penalty to
spot) and there will be at least one secret entrance that is very
concealed (vision at -6 to spot).
Kobold lairs are seldom in the mountains, they usually are located in
barren or out of the way spots in deserts, forests, plains, or hills.
Their relationships with their neighbors are not as stranded as it might
seem.  While it is true that most races dislike them, as long as the
Kobolds are weaker or only as dangerous as their neighbors, they
generally keep to themselves or occasionally even trade with those
living nearby.  However, if the Kobolds are more powerful, watch out!  
Multi-racial cities will sometimes have a Kobold quarter where a large
group of Kobold families live together, but Kobolds usually encounter
other races as individuals.  They are usually well represented in the
lower classes and underworld.  Kobolds make excellent thieves!  Despite
their small stature, a sizable number of Kobold rogues will be muggers,
bravos and extortionists.  Though not large, they are quick and vicious
and can be deadly fighters.  Don't be too busy laughing when a Kobold
shouts "Stand and Deliver!" to draw your sword or you could have your
gullet cut open!
One side effect of the Kobolds desire to establish dominance is that if
a tribe goes to war, they will have a very clearly defined chain of
command.  Kobold troops usually have good discipline, with the notable
exception of orders to take prisoners; in battle, few Kobolds can
restrain themselves from killing the enemy if they have an opportunity.

Kobolds in the campaign (sidebar)

Kobolds are usually the unusual bad guys in a campaign.  While at first
glance they seem like ineffectual fighters, but what they lack in
strength, they make up for in viciousness.
They are different from other sword-fodder races such as orcs and
hobgoblins in more ways than just size.  The most important one is that
they are smarter.  Kobolds have no reduction to their IQ, so they tend
to have more craftsmen and scholars than these races.  Their
intelligence helps them make up for their weakness in combat.  Kobold
commanders usually have above average tactics and strategy skills and
put them to good use.  Without a doubt, the single favorite Kobold
combat tactic is the ambush!
In cities, Kobold craftsmen or tradesmen are not uncommon, although a
greater percentage of Kobolds will be in the underworld than any other
race except orcs.
	Most other races react to Kobolds at -2 except orcs and reptile
men which react at +1.  Kobolds react to dwarves and elves at -2, and to
orcs and reptile men at +1.

Phillip Weiss
"I spat on Daura and cursed him roundly, and the kings as well.  I told
them that, if I was to be skinned, by Crom, I demanded a good bellyfull
of wine before they began, and I damned them for thieves and cowards and
sons of harlots."
- -Conan, "Drums of Tombalku"