Subject: Re: NEEDED: Medieval Price Lists (BIG lists included)
From: [email-masked] (Alan Kerr)

[I occasionally post things that I find in old books, in the hopes that
 someone will find them interesting.

 Prices here are of course Pounds(L)/Shillings(s)/Pence,(d) 
 12d = 1s, 20s = 1L
]

A table of Provisions with their prices as established by the king's
proclamation in 1314, (vide Strype's edition of Stowe, book V folio 385; the
like occured in 1274, I edward's time, and in 1572, Eliz. anno) but revoked
in 1326

Best grass-fed ox alive	    0 16 0  Best capon at		- - 2 1/2
Best grain-fed ox	    1  4 0  Best hen at			- - 1 1/2
Best cow alive and fat at   - 12 0  Best chickett, two for	- - 1 1/2
Best hogg of 2 yrs old at   -  3 4  Best young pidgeons, 3 for	- - 1
Best shorn mutton at	    -  1 2  Twenty eggs for		- - 1
Best goose at		    - -  3

from

Portfolio of fragments relative to the hist. and antiquities of the county
Palatine and Duchy of Lancaster

Matthew Gregson esq., 1817

[Wigan Library local history reserve collection]

Lee

-- 
Liam Quin, [email-masked], SoftQuad, Toronto, 416 239-4801; the barefoot programmer
``There ys a great Numbre of Dere longging to this Park, yet hath it almo{t no
other Enclo{ure but Dikes to let the Catelle of the Commune to cum yn. The Dere
trippe over the{e Dikes & feede al about the Fennes, & re{ort to the Park agayn.

========================================================================

     Some quick and dirty numbers on the price of an inn.  Three high 
quality taverns rented together in 14th century London for 200 pounds per 
year, or about 67 pounds each.  From this, I guess the purchase price of 
an inn would be from 500 to 700 pounds.  From a partial list of 
moveables, I would guess to furnish an inn would run from 15 to 25 
pounds.  It might cost 10 to 20 pounds per year in wages to the workers. 

     To translate into game terms, a late 16th century suit of plate 
armor seems to have cost about 3.5 pounds at the cheapest.  Prices of 
14th century jewelry in London were running 15 pounds for 2 gold rings 
with diamonds, about 1.3 pounds for a gold ring with a ruby, three 
strings of pearls for 2.5 pounds, and 6 gold necklaces for 5 pounds.  In 
AD&D terms, my best guesstimate is 400 or 500 gold pieces per pound.

     An inn would thus run about 200 000 to 350 000 AD&D gold pieces.  
Steep, but it would probably pay for itself.

     My primary source was A.R. Myers's _London in the Age of Chaucer_.  
I drew figures for the price of armor from _The Armourer and his Craft_, by  
Charles ffoulkes. 

     I hope this is useful, and if anyone wants more numbers, let me 
know.

                                                --Kenneth Hodges
                                                [email-masked]

======================================================================

     The list of medieval prices which follows is by no means complete or 
thoroughly researched; I merely extracted references from some of the 
books I have, and I thought others might like to inspect it.  The sources 
I used are listed at the end.  If an item is listed several times, it is 
because I had several references I wished to record. 

Money goes as follows:
 1 pound (L) = 20 shillings (s)
 1 crown = 5 shillings
 1 shilling = 12 pence (d)
 1 penny = 4 farthings
 1 mark = 13s 4d
The French Livre, sou, and denier are equivalent to the pound, shilling 
and penny (Latin liber, solidus, and denarius, I believe, which is where 
the weird English abbreviations come from).

For ease, I've divided this list into the following sections: tools, 
horses, food and livestock, books and education, buildings, cloth and 
clothing, armor, weapons, marriage, funerals, travel, miscellaneous 
goods, and wages. 

Of course, a price list is a misleading guide to a feudal economy, 
because so many goods were either produced within a household, or 
supplied by a lord.  Retainers could get money, but they would also get 
food, lodging, weapons (sometimes), and cloth.  Knights Templar were 
provided with clothes, horses, and armor. 
     --Kenneth Hodges, [email-masked] 

                                  TOOLS
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
2 yokes                         4s          c1350       [3]     170
Foot iron of plough             5d            "          "       "
3 mason's tools (not named)     9d            "          "       "
1 spade and shovel              3d          1457         "       "
1 axe                           5d            "          "       "
1 augur                         3d            "          "       "
1 vise                          13s 4d      1514        [5]     27-28
Large biciron                   60s           "          "        "
Small biciron                   16s           "          "        "
Anvil                           20s           "          "        "
Bellows                         30s           "          "        "
Hammers                         8d-2s 8d      "          "        "
2 chisels                       8d            "          "        "
Compete set of armorer's tools  L13 16s 11d   "          "        "
Spinning Wheel                  10 d         1457       [3]     170

                                  HORSES
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
War Horse                       up to 50s   12 cen  (?) [7]     30
War Horse                       up to L80   13 cen      [3]     72
Knight's 2 horses               L10         1374         "      76
High-grade riding horse         L10         13th cen     "      72
Draught horse                   10s-20s     13th cen     "       "
                           
Note: Horse prices varied dramatically; for instance, they doubled 
between 1210 and 1310.  ([3], p. 37).                               

                            FOOD AND LIVESTOCK                      
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Wine:
  Best Gascon in London         4d/gallon   1331        [2]     194
  Best Rhenish in London        8d/London     "          "       "
Wine:
  Cheapest                      3d-4d/gal   Late 13 cen [3]     62
  Best                          8d-10d/gal    "          "       "
Ale (beer comes later):
  Good                          1.5d/gal    14 cen      [2]     201
  Medium                        1d/gal        "          "       "
  Poor                          .75d/gal      "          "       "
Ale:
  First-rate                    1-1.25d/gal 1320-1420   [3]     58
  Second-rate                   .75-1d/gal    "          "       "
Ale (best):
  Somerset                      .75d        1338        [3]     210
  London                        1.25d        "           "       "
Beer, good                      1d/quart    late 16 cen [8]     xx
Dried Fruit (eg raisins, dates, 1-4d/lb, up
  figs, prunes), almonds, rice  to 6d rare  14 cen(?)   [3]     62-63
Spices (cinnamon, cloves, mace,
  pepper, sugar, etc).          1-3s/lb       "          "        "
Pepper                          4s/lb       mid 13 cen  [9]     218
Pepper                          6d/.5lb     1279-1280   [3]     11
Saffron                         12s-15s/lb  14 cen(?)   [3]     62-63
Cow (good)                      10s         12 cen(?)   [7]     30
Cow                             9s 5d       mid 14th    [1]     99
Cow                             6s          1285-1290   [3]     206
Ox                              13s 1.25d   mid 14 cen  [1]     99
Sheep                           1s 5d         "          "       "
Wether:
  Somerset                      9d-10d      1338        [3]     210
  London                        1s 5d        "           "       "
Pig:
  Somerset                      2s          1338        [3]     210
  London                        3s           "           "       "
Fowl                            1d            "          "       "
2 Chickens                      1d          14 cen      [4]     78
2 Dozen Eggs                    1d            "          "       "
Goose (in London)               6d (legal)
                                7d-8d asked 1375        [2]     198
80 lb cheese                    3s 4d       late 13 cen [3]     114
Salted herring (wholesale)      5-10/1d     1382        [2]     198-199
Salt conger                     6d each     1422-1423   [3]     69
Oats:                            
  Somerset                      1s/quarter  1338         "      210
  London                        2s 2d per    "           "       "
                                 quarter
Cost of feeding a knight's or   L30-L60,    15 cen      [3]     199
  merchants household per year  up to L100

Related note: around 1380, these are the average costs per day of feeding 
people on an estate ([3], p. 65): lord, 7d; esquire, 4d; yeoman, 3d; and 
groom, 1d.

                           BOOKS AND EDUCATION
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Monastary School                L2 (approx) 1392-1393   [3]     75
                                per year
Schoolmaster at Croyden:
  Board                         2s/week*    1394        [2]     186
  Instruction                   13s 4d/year  "           "       "
Oxford:
  Board                         104s/year   1374         "       "
  Clothing                      40s/year     "           "       "
  Instruction                   26s 8d/year  "           "       "
University:                     
  Minimum                       L2-L3/year  Late 14 cen [3]     75
  Student of good birth         L4-L10/year  "           "       "
Fencing Instruction             10s/month   Late 16 cen [8]     xx
7 Books                         L5 (approx) 1479        [3]     76
126 Books                       L113        1397        [3]     77
To Rent a book                  .5d-1d per  mid 13 cen  [9]     172
                                pecia**

* Source says 2s/day.  This is not only insanely high, but the text also 
claims that the board was the same as at Oxford--i.e., 2s/week or 
104s/year.

** A pecia is 16 columns of 62 lines of 32 letters, i.e., 31 744 letters, 
or about 7 500 - 8 000 words.  Rental period is not specified, but I 
would guess a year; books were rented to be copied, and copying the Bible 
took 15 months.  See [9], p. 172.

                                BUILDINGS
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Rent per annum for 138 shops on
  London Bridge                 L160 4s     1365        [2]     114
Rent for the three London 
  taverns with the exclusive
  right to sell sweet wines
  (hippocras, clarry, piments)  L200        1365-1375   [2]     195-196
Rent cottage                    5s/year     14 cen(?)   [3]     208
Rent craftsman's house          20s/year     "           "       "
Rent merchant's house           L2-L3/year   "           "       "
Cottage (1 bay, 2 storeys)      L2          early 14 cen "      205
Row house in York (well built)  up to L5     "           "       "
Craftsman's house (i.e., with
  shop, work area, and room
  for workers) with 2-3 bays
  and tile roof                 L10-L15     early 14 cen [3]    205
Modest hall and chamber, not
  including materials           L12         1289        [3]     79-80
Merchant's house                L33-L66     early 14 cen [3]    205
House with courtyard            L90+         "           "       "
Goldsmiths' Hall (in London,
  with hall, kitchen, buttery,
  2 chambers)                   L136        1365        [2]     114
Large tiled barn                L83         1309-1310   [3]     79
Wooden gatehouse (30' long),
  barn, and drawbridge:
  Contract                      L5 6s 8d +  1341        [3]     81
                                builder's 
                                clothing
  Estimated total               L16          "           "       "
Stone Gatehouse (40' X 18'):
  with all except stone         L16 13s 4d  1313        [3]     79-80
  estimated with stone          L30          "           "        "
Tower in castle's curtain wall  L333, L395  late 14 cen  "        "
Castle & college at Tattershall L450/annum  1434-1446    "      81
                                for 13 years
Transept of Gloucester Abbey    L781        1368-1373   [3]     79-80
Stonework of church (125', no   L113        13 cen(?)    "        "
  tower)                        (contract)

note: tithes were often calculated at 1d a week for every 20s of annual 
rent paid (4, p. 208).
  
The following are the estimates of raw materials and labor that went into 
the tower of Langeais, a rectangular, tapering stone tower built in 992-
994.  The source is [6], pp. 47ff.  The dimensions at the base were 17.5 
meters by 10 meters; the height was 16m (3 floors); the walls were 1.5m 
thick, made of two shells filled with loose rock. 
Limestone in building: about 1050 cubic meters, or 2 600 000 kg
Wood in building: 47.5 cubic meters, or 34 600 kg
Nails: 3 400, or 50 kg
Mortar: 350 cubic meters.
To make the mortar:
  sand: 225 cubic meters, or 360 000 kg
  limestone: 40 cubic meters, or 160 000 kg
  green wood: 540 cubic meters, or 286 000 kg
Labor Costs, in Average Working Days (AWD):
  procurement: 14 250
  transport: 2 880
  labor:
    unskilled: 63 500
    mason: 12 700
    smith: 1 600

                            CLOTH AND CLOTHING
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Fashionable gown                easily L10, late 14 cen [2]     53
                                up to L50
Gentry:
  Shoes                         4d          1470s       [3]     79
  Boots                         6d            "          "       "
  Purse                         1.5d          "          "       "
  Hat                           10d, 1s 2d    "          "       "
Craftsman's tabard and super-
  tunic                         3s          1285-1290   [3]     206
Reeve's murrey (dark brown) robe 6s 4d      1349-1352    "      176
Reeve's red robe                5s 3d           "        "       "
Peasants (wealthy):
  Linen Chemise                 8d          1313        [3]     175
  Shoes                         6d           "           "       "
  Woolen garment                3s           "           "       "
  Fur-lined garments            6s 8d       early 14 cen "       "
  Tunic                         3s           "           "       "
  Linen                         1s           "           "       "
Landless serfs' tunics          1d-6d       mid 14 cen   "      176
Cloth for peasant tunics        8d-1s 3d    early 14 cen "       "
                                per yard
Best Wool                       5s/yard     1380        [3]     78
"Tawny and russet"              6s/yard     1479-1482    "      "
Silk                            10s-12s     15 cen(?)    "      " 
                                per yard
Furs added to garment           +L2-L3 to   15 cen(?)   "       79
                                garment
The worth of cloth provided
  yearly by a lord to:
  esquires                      2s 11d/yard 1289-1290   [3]     78
  yeomen                        2s/yard         "        "       "
  lesser servants               1s 7d/yard      "        "       "

Note: loose tunics take 2.25-2.5 yards.  In the late 14th century, 
shorter doubled (lined) tunics, known as doublets, became fashionable, 
requiring 4 yards ([3], pp 175,176). 

                                  ARMOR
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Mail                            100s        12 cen(??   [7]     30
Ready-made Milanese armor       L8 6s 8d    1441        [4]     112
Squire's armor                  L5-L6 16s 8d "           "       "
Armor for Prince of Wales, 
  "gilt and graven"             L340        1614        [5]     20
Complete Lance Armor            L3 6s 8d    1590        [5]     185
Complete corselets              30s          "           "       "
Cuirass of proof with pauldrons 40s          "           "       "
Normal cuirass with pauldrons   26s 8d       "           "       "
Target of proof                 30s          "           "       "
Morion                          3s 4d        "           "       "
Burgonet                        4s           "           "       "
Cuirass of pistol-proof with
  pauldrons                     L1 6s       1624        [5]     189-190
Cuirass without pauldrons       L1           "           "         "
Lance Armor                     L4           "           "         "
Targets of Proof                24s          "           "         "
Cuirass with cap                L4           "           "         "
Armor of proof                  L14 2s 8d   1667         "      68
Bascinet                        13s 4d +    1369         "      88
                                3s 4d to
                                line it
Armor in a merchant's house
  (leather?)                    5s          1285-1290   [3]     206
Total Armor owned by a knight   L16 6s 8d   1374         "      76
Armor in house of Thomas of
  Woodstock, duke of Gloucester L103        1397         "      77
Fee for cleaning rust off
  corselets                     5d each     1567        [5]     80
Fee for varnishing, replacing
  straps, and rivetting helmet
  and corselet                  1s 4d       1613        [5]     90
Barrel for cleaning mail        9d          1467        [5]     79 

Note: mail is chainmail; almost all the rest is plate-armor.  The armor 
of the knight in 1374 was probably mail with some plates; same for 
Gloucester's.  Mail was extremely susceptible to rust, and was cleaned by 
rolling it in sand and vinegar in a barrel.    Pauldrons are shoulder 
plates; morions are open helms, burgonets and bascinets closed helms; and 
a target refers to any of a number different kind of shields.  Armor of 
proof is tested during the making with blows or shots from the strongest 
weapons of the time; if a weapon is listed, the armor does not claim to 
be proof against everything, only that it is proof up to that weapon's 
strength (eg pistol proof is not musket proof, but may be sword proof).  
All plate armor was lined with cloth, to pad the wearer, quiet the armor, 
and reduce wear between the pieces.  This, along with the necessary 
straps, was a significant amount of the expense.  An armorer asking for 
money to set up shop in 1624 estimated production costs and profit for a 
number of different types of armor: I give two examples below ([5], pp. 
189-190). Cuirass of proof with pauldrons: 
  plates:                         5s 6d
  finishing, rivets, and straps:  7s 6d
  selling price                  26s
Lance armor:
  plates                        14s 5d
  finishing, et cetera          40s
  selling price                 80s

                                 WEAPONS
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Cheap sword (peasant's)         6d          1340s       [3]     174
Pair of wheel-lock pistols, 
  with tools for them           L2 16s      mid 17th    [4]     208
Holsters for pistols            6d             "         "       "
Wheel-lock carbine              L1 10s         "         "       "
Shoulder belt for carbine       1s             "         "       "
Pair of flintlock pistols       L2 5s          "         "       "
Flintlock carbine               L1 2s          "         "       "
Musket                          16s 6d-18s 6d  "         "       "

Note: Sorry, folks, that's all I found.  It was mandatory in England for 
all freemen to own certain types of weapons and armor.  (In 1181 every 
freeman having goods worth 10 marks (1 mark = 13s 4d) had to have a mail 
shirt, a helmet, and a spear.  All other freemen should have helmet, 
spear, and gambeson (quilted armor) [4], p. 39.)  Later, the government 
stored arms and armour in churches for use; in the 13th century anyone 
with an income of L2-L5 (wealthy peasants) had to have bows; archery 
practice became compulsory on Sundays and holidays.  You may know that 
the extreme range of the longbow was 400 yards, but did you know that a 
statute of Henry VIII no one over 24 could practice at a range of less 
than 220 yards?  (See [4], p. 95 and elsewhere). 

Note: for guessing prices, see the section on tools (an axe for 5d).  An 
armorer might make 24s a month; say a week to make a decent sword, and 
you might get a price that way.  See the section on books and education 
for fencing instruction.

                                 MARRIAGE
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Sample peasant dowries:         13s 4d,     14 cen(?)   [3]     179 
                                35s 11d,
                                57s, 63s 4d
For serfs, mechet (fees) to lord,
  depending on wealth           1s-13s 4d   14 cen(?)   [3]     179
Wedding feast, wealthy peasant  20s           "          "       "
Wealthy peasant wedding total   L3-L4         "          "       "
Dowry for esquire's daughter    up to L66   15 cen       "      84
                                13s 4d
Dowry for baron's daughter      L1000 +       "          "       "
London parents (both sets)
  each offered couple           L100        1385        [2]     154

Note: these costs will be wildly varying depending on circumstance.

                                 FUNERALS
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Cheap gentlewoman's funeral
  (bell-ringing, clergy, food)  L7          1497        [3]     85
Brass monument, with a figure
  incised, on marble base--
  fitting for lesser aristocrat L8          early 14 cen "       "
Bishop Mitford's funeral 
  (with 1450 guests!)           L130+       1407         "       "
Memorial Chapel for Richard
  Beauchamp, earl of Warwick    L2481       1439-1463    "       "
Bronze effigy on guilded tomb   L400            "        "       "

Note: Christopher Dyer gives as a rough rule of thumb 1 year's income for 
a funeral ([3], p. 85)

                                  TRAVEL
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
Queen's chariot                 L400        14 cen      [1]     99
Lady Eleanor's chariot          L1000       14 cen      [1]     99
Chariot                         L8          1381        [3]     72
Chariot maintence               1-3s/year   14 cen       "      "
Barge                           L10           "          "      "
Iron-bound cart                 4s          c1350        "      170
Guide for a night               1d          14 cen      [1]     129
Ferry ride per horseman         1d           "           "       "
Keeping an earl's warhorse
  82 days in summer             36s 9.5d    1287        [3]     71

Note: [1], pp 126-129, gives the following prices at an inn in 1331.  For 
one day, 3 men with 4 servants spent: Bread, 4d; beer, 2d; wine 1.25d; 
meat,  5.5d; potage, .25d; candles, .25d; fueld, 2d; beds, 2d; fodder for 
horses, 10d.  The four servants staying alone sleep 2 nights for 1d.  
Generally, all 7 spend 2d a night on beds; in London, it is 1d per head.
 
                              MISCELLANEOUS
Item                            Price       Date        Source  Page
6 silver spoons                 14s         1382        [2]     24
2 gold rings with diamonds      L15          "           "       "
Gold Ring with ruby             26s 8d       "           "       "
3 strings of pearls             70s          "           "       "
6 gold necklaces                100s         "           "       "
Fee to enroll an apprentice:
  with mercers (rich merchants) 2s          14 cen      [2]     111
  with carpenters               1s            "          "       "
Fee to join guild at end of
  apprenticeship:
  with mercers                  20s           "         [2]     111
  with carpenters               3s 4d         "          "       "
Fee to join guild               6s 8d-L3    14 cen(?)   [3]     208
Fee to gain freedom of a town
  (to enjoy its exemption from
  feudal duties, I assume)      3s 4d-20s   14 cen(?0   [3]     208
To empty a cesspit in a city    6s 8d       15 cen(?)   [3]     209
Candles
  Somerset                      1.5d/lb     1338        [3]     210
  London                        2d-2.5d/lb   "           "       "
Candles
  tallow                        1.5d/lb     15 cen(?)   [3]     74
  wax                           6.5d/lb     1406-1407    "      "
Vat                             4d          1457        [3]     170
Barrel                          3d           "           "       "
Bottle                          4d           "           "       "
2 buckets                       1s           "           "       "
1 sheet                         4d           "           "       "
1 mattress                      2d           "           "       "
4 pillows                       4d           "           "       "
3 boards for a bed              4d           "           "       "
2 sheets, 4 blankets            5s 8p       1349-1352    "       "
16 bedspreads, 20 sheets,
  8 featherbeds                 L3 1s       1285-1290   [3]     206
Duke's bed of cloth of gold, 
  with blue satin canopy        L182 3s     1397        [3]     77
Table                           6d          1457        [3]     170
Chair                           3d           "           "       " 
Chest with necessaries thereto  2s 2d        "           "       "
2 chests                        6d each      "           "       "
Metal ewer                      6d          1349-1352    "       "
Brass pot                       2s              "        "       "
Basin and ewer                  8d              "        "       "
Basin and ewer                  2s 8d           "        "       "
Towel                           6d              "        "       "
Coffer                          1s              "        "       "
2 stools                        8d              "        "       "
Ceramic cooking pot             .5d         1340s        "      174

Note: most of these come from inventories of peasants' belongings.  The 
fine goods would be more expensive.

Note about lighting: great houses could use 100 lb of wax and tallow in a 
single winter night ([3], p. 74).  Others, not as rich, would go to sleep 
earlier.

                                  WAGES
Profession                      Wage        Date        Source  Page
Mercenaries:
  knight banneret               4s/day      1316        [4]     78
  knight                        2s/day       "           "       "
  man-at-arms or squire         1s/day       "           "       "
Regular Army
  Esquires, constables, and 
    centenars                   1s/day      1346        [4]     79
  Mounted archers, armored
    infantry, hobilars, 
    vintenars                   6d/day       "           "       "
  Welsh vintenars               4d/day       "           "       "
  Archers                       3d/day       "           "       "
  Welsh infantry                2d/day       "           "       "
  Captain                       8s/day      late 16 cen [4]     181
  Lieutenant                    4s/day        "          "       "
  Ensign                        2s/day        "          "       "
  Drummer or trumpeter          20d/day       "          "       "
  cavalryman                    18d/day       "          "       "
  infantry                      8d/day        "          "       "
Laborer                         L2/year max c1300       [3]     29
Crown revenues (at peace)       L30 000     c1300        "       "
Barons per year                 L200-500+   c1300        "       "
Earls  per year                 L400-L11000 c1300        "       "
Sergeant at Law (top lawyer)    L300/year   1455         "      47
Chief armorer                   26s 8d/month 1544       [5]     182
Other armorers in same shop     24s/month   1544         "       "
  except "Old Martyn" who made  38s 10d/month 1544       "       "
Apprentices in same shop        6d/day      1544         "       "
Master mason                    4d/day      1351        [2]     24
Master carpenter                3d/day       "           "       "
Carpenters' Guild stipend to 
  a sick member                 14d/week    1333        [2]     156
Weavers                         5d/day, no  1407        [2]     146
                                food
Chantry priest per year         L4 13s 4d   1379        [2]     24
Squires per annum               13s 4d-L1   14 cen      [1]     116-117
Carters, porters, falconers     5s-8s 8d    14 cen      [1]     116-117
  grooms, messengers            per year
Kitchen servants                2s-4s/year  14 cen      [1]     116-117
Boys and pages                  1s-6s/year  14 cen      [1]     116-117
Wardens of London Bridges       L10/year    1382        [2]     128

Note: sheriffs of London paid 300L per year, hoping to make a profit from 
the fines they collected.

Note: 30 adult sheep could produce about 20s of wool per year in 1299 
([3], p. 114).

Note: To get a VERY ROUGH sense of money, I reproduce the following chart 
from Dyer ([3], p. 206).  These are averages of daily wages in pence.

Decade        Thatcher          Thatcher's mate
1261-70       2                 -
1271-80       2.5               1
1281-90       2.25              1
1291-1300     2.5               1
1301-10       2.5               1
1311-20       3                 1.25
1321-30       3                 1
1331-40       3                 1.25
1341-50       3                 1.25
1351-60       3.5               2
1361-70       3.5               2
1371-80       4.25              2.5
1381-90       4                 2.25
1391-1400     4.25              2.75
1401-10       4.5               3
1411-20       4.75              3
1421-30       4.5               3
1431-40       4.5               3.25
1441-50       5.25              4
1451-60       5.5               3.25
1461-70       4.75              3.75
1471-80       5.25              3.75
1481-90       6                 3.75
1491-1500     5.5               3.5
1501-10       5.75              4
1511-20       5.25              4

[1] _English Wayfaring Life in the XIVth Century_, J. J. Jusserand, trans 
     Lucy Smith, Putnam's Sons, New York,1931 (Orig. 1889).

[2] _London in the Age of Chaucer_, A. R. Myers, University of Oklahoma 
     Press, Norman, 1972

[3] _Standards of Living in the Later Middle Ages_, Christopher Dyer, 
     Cambridge University Press, 1989

[4] _English Weapons & Warfare, 449-1660_, A. V. B. Norman and Don 
     Pottinger, Barnes & Noble, 1992 (orig. 1966)

[5] _The Armourer and his Craft from the XIth to the XVIth Century_, 
     Charles ffoulkes, Dover, 1988 (orig. 1912)

[6] "The Cost of Castle Building: The Case of the Tower at Langeais," 
     Bernard Bachrach, in _The Medieval Castle: Romance and Reality_, ed. 
     Kathryn Reyerson and Faye Powe, Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, 1984

[7] _The Knight in History_, Frances Gies, Harper & Row, New York, 1984

[8] _Methods and Practice of Elizabethan Swordplay_, Craig Turner and 
     Tony Soper, Southern Illinois University Press, Carbondale, 1990

[9] _Life in a Medieval City_, Joseph and Frances Gies, Harper & Row, 
     New York, 1969

>From Mr-Hyde.aoc.nrao.edu!lynx.unm.edu!umn.edu!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!gatech!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!jif.berkeley.edu!hodges Mon Aug 16 23:49:12 MDT 1993

This is an addendum to a previously posted price list (posted about 2 
days ago).  I since bought an intriguing book on the history of the long 
bow, particularly in England, and that gave me some information on the 
prices of weapons, as well as some other background information.  That, 
coupled with things I left out earlier, is what I add here.  

The list of my sources follows after the prices.

                                  TOOLS
Loom and treadle                2s          1432        [3]     172
Spinning Wheel                  1s or less   ?          [3]     172
Plough, total                   3s-4s       14 cen(?)   [3]     171

                                   FOOD
Oatmeal                         2s/28 lb    late 13 cen [10]    44
Wheat (not best quality)        .75d/lb     late 13 cen  "       "
Salt                            16d/28 lb   late 13 cen  "       "
Salt                            3s/28 lb    1300         "       "
Ox carcase                      3s 8d       late 13 cen  "       "
Food for a garrison of 51 men 
  for one year (meat, fresh and
  salted, cheese, eggs, butter, 
  meal, salt, bread, ale)       L24 5s 1.5d 1299        [10]    45
Wine                            2.5d/gallon 1300        [10]    45
Pig                             2s 8d       c1300       [10]    45
A bacon                         9.5d        1305        [10]    45
Ox                              10s         1290s       [3]     116
Beef                            2d/lb       16 cen      [10]    201
Goose                           4d          1290s       [3]     115
Eggs                            4d/100      1290s       [3]     115

                                BUILDINGS
Peasant house, peasant built,
  3 bays                        L2-L3       15 cen      [3]     167
Peasant house, lord built,
  (better quality)              L2-L7       15 cen      [3]     167
To build a flimsy cottage       10s         early 14 cen [3]    166

                            CLOTH AND CLOTHING
Canvas, 20 ells (25 yards)      6s 8d       1300-1305   [10]    45

                                  ARMOR
Bascinet                        2s 2.5d     1300-1305   [10]    45

                                 WEAPONS
Lance                           6d          1300-1305   [10]    45
Small crossbow                  3-5s        late 13 cen [10]    44
Large crossbow                  5-7s        Late 13 cen [10]    44
1000 crossbow bolts             26s-34s 4d  Late 13 cen [10]    44
1000 Iron heads for bolts       14d-16d     Late 13 cen [10]    44
Longbow of bough wood 
  (heartwood is better)         12d         mid 14 cen  [10]    44
Long bow of heartwood           1s 6d       mid 14 cen  [10]    44
12 branchwood bows and 120 
  arrows                        12s 4d      1470        [10]    44
10 bows                         20s         1480        [10]    44
"White" long bow*               1s 6d       14 cen      [10]    83
"Painted" long bow*             2s          14 cen      [10]    83
Best longbow, max legal price   3s 4d       late 15 cen [10]    44
Ann Boleyn's bows               4s 4d each  1534        [10]    135
Bowstaves (unfinished)
  From Salzburg                 L15-L16/100 1574        [10]    128-129
  From Switzerland              L12-L13/100 1574        [10]    128-129
  From East Europe (too cold)   L4-L5/100   1574        [10]    128-129
288 arrows (12 sheaves)         34s 8d      1480        [10]    44
2 Arrows                         .25d       1300-1305   [10]    45
4000 arrows                     52s 5d      1359        [10]    83
Livery arrows                   18d/sheaf   early 16 cen [10]   133
Fee for refitting arrows
  (renocking, refeathering,
  reheading and trimming)       9d/sheaf    early 16 cen [10]   133
Red leather quiver              9d          1480        [10]    44
Quiver belt                     2d          1480        [10]    44

*The distinction between white and painted is not clear.  Robert Hardy 
suggests white bows were not well seasoned, and that painted bows were 
fully-seasoned (better) bows, varnished to preserve the wood.

note: in 16th century the difference between a good and bad bow could be 
as much as 1s ([10], p. 136).  Draw-weights were huge; in bows recovered 
from the Tudor warship the Mary Rose, the draw weights were 100-180 lbs. 
([10], p. 201).  Merchants were often required to bring in bowstaves as 
part of a toll (for instance, 10 staves for every cask of wine, at a 
penalty of 13s 4d in 1483, [10] p, 130).  The fine for skipping archery 
practice on a hoilday was 2 farthings ([10], 129).    

                                  TRAVEL
Cart, wooden (not fit for long
  trips)                        1-2s        14 cen(?)   [3]     171
Cart, iron-shod wheels (fit for
  long trips)                   10s-18s     14 cen(?)   [3]     171
To hire small ship (26 crew)    52s 6d/week 1355        [10]    86

                              MISCELLANEOUS
Cask                            8d each     1300-1305   [10]    45
Sea Coal                        1d/bushel   1300-1305   [10]    45
Spanish iron in England         1s 6d/24 lb 1436        [5]     39
Steel                           L32/ton     1622        [5]     39

                                  WAGES
Armorer                         18d/week    1287-1305   [10]    44
Crossbow repairer               14d/week    1287-1305   [10]    44
Plumber                         3d/day      1287-1305   [10]    44

                                 SOURCES
[1] _English Wayfaring Life in the XIVth Century_, J. J. Jusserand, trans 
     Lucy Smith, Putnam's Sons, New York,1931 (Orig. 1889).

[2] _London in the Age of Chaucer_, A. R. Myers, University of Oklahoma 
     Press, Norman, 1972

[3] _Standards of Living in the Later Middle Ages_, Christopher Dyer, 
     Cambridge University Press, 1989

[4] _English Weapons & Warfare, 449-1660_, A. V. B. Norman and Don 
     Pottinger, Barnes & Noble, 1992 (orig. 1966)

[5] _The Armourer and his Craft from the XIth to the XVIth Century_, 
     Charles ffoulkes, Dover, 1988 (orig. 1912)

[6] "The Cost of Castle Building: The Case of the Tower at Langeais," 
     Bernard Bachrach, in _The Medieval Castle: Romance and Reality_, ed. 
     Kathryn Reyerson and Faye Powe, Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, 1984

[7] _The Knight in History_, Frances Gies, Harper & Row, New York, 1984

[8] _Methods and Practice of Elizabethan Swordplay_, Craig Turner and 
     Tony Soper, Southern Illinois University Press, Carbondale, 1990

[9] _Life in a Medieval City_, Joseph and Frances Gies, Harper & Row, 
     New York, 1969

[10] _Longbow: A Social and Military History_, Robert Hardy, Bois d'Arc 
     Press, 1992

======================================================================

// This is one of a very occasional series of articles from old books; I post
// an installment every few months.  This one is from an 1883 transcription
// of a 16th Century collection of old manuscripts relating to Berkeley (in
// England, not California... Pronounced `barkly').
// The document gives prices from Edward Ist's reign and for two later times.
//
// Notes on Orthography (letters & spelling) and on Units of Money at the end
// of this document.  In general, the original spelling is retained.

*

(The Lives of the Berkeleyes, Vol I, p. 161, 1321)

*

Prices of Corne Cattle Pultry &c.

*Also* theis Accompts will truely informe this noble Family what were the
vsuall prices of Catle, Corne, Pultry and other provisions expended in the
house of this lord, and as the same were vsually bought and sold in fayres
and marketts duringe that twenty and seaven yeares of Edward the first
raigne, wherein this Lord lived a Baron, viz\t.

    Wheat the Quarter at	...	...	2s 4d, 3s, 4s and 5s
    Maslin the Quarter at	...	...	2s, 2s 4d, 3s and 4s
    Barly the Quarter at	...	...	20d, 2s 8d, 3s 4d, and 4s
    Beanes the Quarter at	...	...	2s, 2s 8d, 3s 4d, and 4s
    Otes the Quarter at	...	...	20d, 2s, 2s 4d |	[f.193]
    Pillcorne, from the Mill,
	the Quarter at	...	...	...	3s, 3s 8d
    An Oxe at	...	...	...	...	10s---11s---12s
    A Cowe and Calfe at	...	...	...	9s---10s
    A bacon Hogg at	...	...	...	5s---5s 6d
    A fat porket at	...	...	...	2s---2s 2d
    A fat sheep at	...	...	...	17d---18d---20d---2s
    A Lamb at	...	...	...	...	10d---12d
    A Goose at	...	...	...	...	3d
    A Capon at	...	...	...	...	2d		[p.162]
    A Hen at	...	...	...	...	1d ob~
    A Duck at	...	...	...	...	1d
    4 Pigeons	...	...	...	...	1d
    20 Eggs	...	...	...	...	1d

*And* in the fifteenth yeare of Kinge Edward the second, when thys Lord dyed,
the prices stood thus . viz\t.
  *Wheat*, the quarter	...	...	...	4s
    Maslin the quarter	...	...	...	3s
    Barly the quarter	...	...	...	3s
    Beanes the quarter	...	...	...	3s
    Otes the quarter	...	...	...	2s
    Fetches the quarter	...	...	...	20d
    Malt of wheat the Quarter	...	...	6s
    Malt of Otes the Quarter	...	...	2s 2d
    Malt of Barly the Quarter,	...	...	4s
    A Quarter of Apples	...	...	...	10d
    A Sturgeon in the xix th. of Edward the }
	second sold for			    }	26s 8d
    An oxe at	...	...	...	...	20s
    An Oxe hide 	...	...	...	3s 6d
    A Cowe and a Calfe, at	...	...	12s---13s---15s
    A sheep, beetweene	...	...	...	17d and 2s
    A Sheepskyn, accordinge to the growth of
	the fell, at 4d., 5d., 6d. such as were killed
	for provision of the house.
    A Lambe, at	...	...	...	...	12d
    A goat Skin, at	...	...	...	4d ob~
    A Goose, at	...	...	...	...	3d
    A Ducke, at	...	...	...	...	1d q/r
					The rest as before.
    Threashing a quarter of wheat	...	2d
    Threashing a quarter of beanes	...	1d ob~
    Threashing a quarter of Oates	...	1d
    Wages of a day laborer	...	...	ob~ q/r // laborer _sic_.
    A yeomans bord wages, per diem	...	1d ob~
    A groome or Pages boord wages per diem	1d // orig. p/~ di&e-bar;

// p. 163

    And by a proclamation in the viij th. of this kinge, none might sell
wine in theire Tavernes, above iij d. the gallon.
// Margin note: Claus: 8. E. 2. m: 2.

*In the* tyme of Kinge Edward the third, generally about theis rates as
followe, but the further in his longe raigne of fiftye yeares, the dearer.
As thus viz\t.
    Wheat the quarter	...	...	...	5s 4d---7s---10s
    Barly the quarter	...	...	...	4s---5s 4d
    Beanes the quarter	...	...	...	4s
    Otes the quarter	...	...	...	2s 8d---3s 4d
    Bay salt the quarter,	...	...	18d
    An Oxe from 14s. to	...	...	...	24s
    A Sowe and six pigs	...	...	...	5s
    A boare	...	...	...	...	4s
    A Calfe	...	...	...	...	2s
    A Store pigge or shote	...	...	12d
    Pigeons, the dozen	...	...	...	3d---3d ob~---4d
    An Haggard Falcon	...	...	...	20s
				In the residue little variation  | [f.195]

*And* in the tyme of Kinge Richard the second, for the two' and twenty yeares
of his raigne, the prizes of graine, Cattle and pultry, were rather cheaper
then dearer, but the difference in effect that was, was in
the temperature and season of the yeare.	// prizes, _sic_. for prices.

    A weight of wool (beinge . 21 pound) called pondus,	...	5s.
    A sacke of wool at	...	...	   7li. 6s. 8d.---8li.
    Onions, a Bushell	...	...	...	...	...	8d.
    Eggs . 20 for a peny, which in 150. yeares did never rise nor fall.

*And at* this day, wherein I write, Anno 1622, the Comon prizes of the like
Comodities in the same place, is generally thus. viz\t.
    Wheat the Quarter	...	...	...	36s
    Maslin the Quarter	...	...	...	26s 8d
    Barly the Quarter	...	...	...	20s
    Barly malt the Quarter	...	...	24s
    Beanes the Quarter	...	...	...	20s
    A draught Oxe, about	...	...	5l. // l. [sic] for li.
// page 164
    A Cowe and a calfe about	...	...	3li.10s.
    A Sheepe about	...	...	...	8s
    Eggs 5 for	...	...	...	...	1d

*And* theis prizes stand in resemblance of the like corne and Cattle in my
old former valuations; which as well for the instruction of him that delights
herein, As for avoydance of the like error this lord fell into, I have
clustered here togeather.

*As for* horses in those active old ages of the three Edwards, and of kinge
Richard the second, the lord Berkeleys have payde for horses of service in
the warrs, and for the saddle, and draught, as deere as nowe in our dayes;
100li., 100 markes, 50li., 30li., 20li., 10li. 20 nobles, 5li., &c.

// Margin note:
// Polichr: lib: 7
// cap: 38.
*But* of yeares of dearth and of extremities, when through scarcity prizes
were as deere as nowe, mentioned in divers Chronicles, I have not spoken; But
desire to bee vnderstoode of the comon and usuall prizes in each ordinary
and temperate yeare.

// Margin note:
// com&p-tilde;i predc&t-tilde;. in
// Castro de Berkeley.
*And* theis Accompts will further informe this noble family, That when this
lord was free from forren imployments, hee went often in progress from one of
his Manor and farme houses to an other, scarce two miles a sunder, making his
stay at each of then for one or twoe nights overseeing and directinge the
forementioned husbandries, And soe backe to | his standinge houses // [f.196]
where his wife and family remayned, which was very great, as after appeareth,
sometymes at Berkeley Castle, at Wotton, at Bradley, at Awre, at Portbury,
And vsually in Lent, at Wike by Arlingham, for his better and neerer
provision of Fish: where, for his famous
// Margin note:
// Com: 6. et 7. E:
// 2.inCastro do Berk:
weares of Rodly, Geron, and Put'house, he had a spetiall Officer called
Piscator de Berkeley, whose annuall Accompts, comonly came vnto 30li. per Ann~;
for fish there taken: Some of which doe speake, That of antient custome, the
Constable of Berkeley Castle was vpon the first sunday in Lent allowed a salmon
for his dinner, which in this Seaventh of Edward the second, cost---x d. ob~.

*

Monies, Weights and Measures, and Other Terms:
    Taken from Chambers' English Dictionary, except some marked [SOED] which
    are from the Shorter Oxford English Dictionar (2 Vols, Oxford).

    q/r = quadrans = farthing = quarter of a penny (0.25d)
    ob~ = obulus = halfpenny (0.5d)
    1d is a penny (denarius, plural is danarii)
    1s is a shilling (solidus, plural is solidii), worth 12d
    1li is a pound (librum, plural libra), woh 20 shillings, i.e. 240d.

    a noble was a gold coin worth 6s 8d. (80d, or 1/3 of a pound)
    a mark was the value of 8 ounces of gold or silver; 123 4d (!)

    a Quarter is eight bushels.
    a bushel is (a dry measure of) 8 gallons.
    A Quarter of corn may have weighed about a quarter of a ton at
    one time, I don't know if it still would!

    Fetch = Vetch, a grain [SOED]

    Maslin = Mixed Grain, esp. rye mixed with wheat.
    Also, bread made of the same. [SOED]

    Pilcorn = A kind of oat, in which the glumes or husks do not adhere to
    the grain, but leave it bare.  Also called pilled oats. [SOED]

    Porket = a small or young pig or hog; a young hog fattened for pork
    [SOED]

Orthography:
    \t. is a superscript t with a dot centred below it;
    ob~ shuld have the ~ through the ascender of the b, for obulus, halfpenny
    q/r should be a q with a subscript 3 at a slight angle, for
    quadrans, farthing.  (the "3"is actually a kind of terminal r)
    The signs for currency (li, s, d) are superscripted with a centred dot
    beneath them on the baseline.  Simarly the th in xix th.
    *Blackletter* is thus marked.
    A | indicates a new page in the original, together with the folio;
    I am using the 1883 (and only printed?) edition, and page numbers (marked
    with p.nnn rather than f.nnn) refer to that edition.
    An em dash is indicated as --- and is set (1883 edition) with no spaces
    on either side.
    Notes in [brackets] are as printed;
    // Notes like this are mine (i.e. Liam's)