From: " Henrik Larsen" <[email-masked]>

Teleportation (TL 15+)

Prolog:
This is thought as an expansion on the teleportation-material in Gurps Ultra
Tech,
 defining the subject more clearly.
The prices included are, of course, only suggestions. Any setting at such a
high TL is
 impossible to predict economically (the Star Trek universe is said to have no
monetary
 system at all). Thus, the GM should only consider the prices guidelines to
comparing these
 items to each other.

Teleportation Mechanics:
Teleportation is achieved by sending an item through another "dimension". This
 dimension is not as much another place as it is a sub-structure of the
universe. Each item
 is designated a set of coordinates in this "dimension". These will here be
called quantum
 coordinates (this is in no way a hint at quantum mechanics making
teleportation possible;
 it is just a fancy name). These make it possible to displace the item
teleported. How they
 are used is indicated in the descriptions of each method of teleportation,
below.

Transfer Teleporters (Matter Transmitters)(TL 15)
These teleporters are the most basic, and the first to be developed. They
transport
 the teleported item or person from one booth to another. Each booth has to be
connected to
 the other enough for information on the quantum coordinates being used for the
transfer.
 Booths can be inter-connected like a modern day phone-grid, allowing someone
to send to or
 from any booth connected to the grid. It is not possible to teleport to or
from several
 booths at once, though (no object duplication).
The cost of a booth is $500 per cubic foot transfered. It weighs 50 lbs. per
cf.
 transfered. A Complexity 15 computer is also needed to communicate the
transfer with the
 recieving end. The price to be part of a grid depends fully on the grid
providers, and the
 setting. Usually, transfers can be made at any distance, only limited by the
possibility of
 the computers to communicate (if STL communication is used across longer
distances, increase
 transfer time by twice the time required for messages to cross the gap (first
time for
 sender to notify reciever, second time for reciever to reply with an
acceptance).
Time required for a transfer is 20 seconds per lbs. (not cf.) divided by
(TL-13)
 (10 seconds per lbs. at TL 15).
Power requirement is 50 mW (mega-watt, or 1000 X kW) per lbs. transfered, not
counting
 the power required by the computer (which must be on during the entire
transfer).
While installing a matter transmitter requires Electronics (Teleporters), using
one
 requires no skill; just push in the target booth number and go! (GMs may
should Electronics
 Op. (Teleporters) to change the booth number, though).

Displacement Teleporters (Displacers) (TL 16)
These teleporters use only one booth. They can either send an object from this
booth
 to anywhere within reach, or snatch something back to the booth. This is
achieved by opening
 the quantum coordinates andfully pushing or pulling the object through before
closing
 (transfer teleporters expect the other side to pick up the object).
A Displacers reach decides whether an object can be send to or grabbed from a
place.
 The basic reach is one yard, but this can be increased by increasing cost and
weight of the
 booth by 10% per additional yard (making far-reaching teleporters like those
for orbit-to-
surface displacements very costly (and large).
The booth itself costs $750 and weighs 100 lbs. per cubic foot transfered. A
 Complexity 18 computer is required to handle the coordinates and displacement,
but
 communication is not necesary. Any displacer-computer comes equiped with
safety features,
 which avoid displaced items or person being locked inside mountains or deep
beneath oceans.
 If such situations are required, an Electronics Op. (Teleporters) must be
made.
Time required is 3 times that for matter transmitters, and power requirements
are 5
 times as much!
Using a displacer requires a roll vs. Electronics Op. (Teleporters) to capture
and aim
 the quantum coordinates. A system can have sets of coordinates permanently
installed
 (another roll), but these coordinates will displace an object relatively to
the *displacer*!
 Thus, if a starship sets its coordinates for displacement at 200 miles below
the ship,
 anyone using those coordinates after the ship has left the planets orbit will
still end up
 *200 miles below the ship*, not on the planets surface as before departure.

Self-sending Teleporters (Endoporters) (TL 17)
The ultimate in teleportation, these teleport *themselves* along, allowing the
user to
 teleport to and from any location, without the need for booths (although the
endoporter
 could be designed to look like one). They project the quantum coordinates
around itself,
 thereby negating the need to move the object (and itself) through.
Endoporters cost $1500 and weighs 120 lbs. per cubic foot teleported (not
counting
 itself, though). A Complexity 20 computer is required to make the transfer.
Time is 5 times
 that of matter transmitters, and power requirement is 20 times (!) as much.
Rolls for quantum coordinates are as for displacers.

All teleporters shrink with advancing TLs; halve weight (and thus size) for
each
 additional TL (although booths will always have to be able to hold the objects
to be sent).
 Power is halved each TL as well, but only for the first 3 TLs after invention
of the
 teleporter type; after that, it is fixed. Range of displacers does not
increase, but the
 size of the displacer gets smaller, as noted, while the range stays the same.

Teleporter-related Equipment:

Telescanners (TL 17)
These devices detect any objects being teleported into or out of any point
within
 their range. They are meant for detecting displacings and endoportations, but
can also
 detect activated booths. They basically give a low blip upon detection, in
addition to
 an indication on a simple view-screen.
They cost $500 X range in tens of yards and weigh 3 lbs., plus 1 lb. per ten
yards
 of range.
For an extra $200, a mapper is installed, adding a holographic map of the
 surroundings to the view-screen.
Another option is a "teletracker", a TL 18 device, which can detect the
coordinates
 from where the teleported object came or is going. It weighs 2 lbs. extra. The
user can
 just tap on the signal of a detection to call up teleportation info.

Interrupters (TL 19)
These are (often highly illegal) devices, which access a teleportations quantum
 coordinates and redirects the sent object to a pre-designated booth.
Interrupters require a fully equiped displacer system, and some special
hardware
 costing $5000 (price often driven way higher by black market influences). A
special program,
 supplied (usually) with the special hardware must also be installed in the
computer.
When an interruption is made, roll a Contest of Electronics Op. (Teleporter)
Skills
 (Expert programs in the computers can be used). On a win by the interrupter,
the transfer
 is diverted. On a loss or tie, the transfer goes as meant.

Beacons (TL 16)
These devices weigh only 1 lb. and cost $200. They use a dedicated Complexity 4
 computer (at this TL, they are miniscule) to find its own coordinates, and
sends them to a
 displacer or endoporter, which can then transfer the object to them
(displacers can also
 transfer from the coordinates, taking the beacon along or not (usually a
pre-set choice,
 with changing it simply a matter of telling the computer; no skill roll).
The benefit of beacons is, that no Electronics Op. (Teleporter) roll is
required to
 connect to a location; simply get the beacon there and push the button. Of
course, getting
 the beacon there can be a tough job in itself.

Reality Stabilizers (TL 16)
These work as in Ultra Tech. They totally counter any attempt by lower TL
gadgets to
 teleport into or out of covered areas. Same or higher TL devices roll a
Contest of TL to
 see who gets the "right of way".

Suggested by H S Larsen.