Subject: Some Rapid Alchemy
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:42:26 -0500

Elixirs of Utility: Fantasy Alchemists Do More than Potions
By S. John Ross

The repertoire of the alchemist as defined by GURPS Magic is varied and
useful, but a few important things are missing. The elixirs therein are
limited to those creations which affect living things directly, but
traditional fantasy alchemists could produce far more. Three of these
``utilitarian'' alchemical products are detailed here.

Acids
Foul, bubbling concoctions that dissolve steel or flesh; these are
powerful and useful items. They are always liquid; ignore the rules for
elixir forms. One ``dose'' of alchemical acid (about an ounce) will do
3d+15 damage to the object or creature it is poured upon, if it care is
taken to apply it in a single location (you can't just throw it on).
Application takes 5 seconds per ounce. Taking less time causes acid to
splash away wastefully, which can also be dangerous! Tossing an ounce of
acid on a living thing will do only 1d+2 damage if successful. DR
applies for both living things and inanimate objects (see p.B125 for the
attributes of various inanimate objects). Thus, it would take an average
of 2 doses to get through an inch of steel cable. One dose will ruin the
average lock. Glassware is generally immune to alchemical acids, so it
can be stored safely! Exposure to air will give a -1 per dose damage
penalty per hour. $70 in materials; 2 weeks. Cost: $400/$700.

Magic Glue
This strange adhesive is common in fantasy novels and games, more often
for humor than utility, but it can be useful. It is difficult to make
and expensive, and must be kept tightly sealed. A ``dose'' of Glue is an
amount sufficient to coat about 100 square inches (this process takes 1
second per 5 square inches. The cost of the Glue includes a 1'' wide
brush which must be thrown away after a single use). 2d+30 seconds after
being exposed to air, the Glue will dry, bonding permanently any objects
joined by it, even if they are exceptionally porous. Note that the bond
is often stronger than the things being bonded! You could Glue a
hobgoblin to the ceiling by his hair, but the hobgoblin would still fall
(ouch). The bond can only be dissolved by an anti-elixir, which is as
difficult and costly to make as the Glue, but quicker (only a week).
$900 in materials; 2 weeks; -1 to skill. Cost: $1,250/$4,400.

Smoke Bombs
A liquid that, when exposed to air, forms a dark, oily cloud that
obscures vision. Commonly sold to traveling magicians for impressing the
naive, these have an obvious use to adventurers! They are sold in the
forms of small bottles, which may either be opened for effect or thrown,
grenade-style, to be broken on the ground. Either method produces the
same effect: the cloud immediately fills the hex it is opened in, and
grows larger each round by 1 hex (see p.B150 for an illustration of
this). It grows until it has attained a 5-hex diameter (the ``3'' in the
illustration). Smaller clouds can often be specified when purchasing
and totally obscures vision in it and through it (treat as total
darkness, a -10 penalty to attacks). The cloud will last 15 seconds in
still air before thinning out (the cloud rises when it thins, it does
not spread outward). If it is important, assume the cloud loses one
penalty level per 5 seconds after 15 (thus, it takes 65 seconds to
completely dissapear). The cloud can be moved with air spells or steady
breezes; the effects of this are left to the GM. $30 in materials; 2
days; +3 to skill. Cost: $80/$530.

Lesser Elixirs
Another good way to broaden the capabilities of the Alchemist is to
permit the creation of lesser versions of existing elixirs. Simply
reduce the time to make the elixir relative to the reduced
effectiveness. Thus, a death elixir doing 1d instead of 4d would take 4
days instead of two weeks. Material costs do not change. Always round to
the worst for the alchemist or customer in time or effectiveness. No
skill modifiers..MDBO/
------------------------------------------------------------------------