Subject: RE: Mana-Tech - Genetic Manipulation spells
From: "Geoffrey E. Fagan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 03:01:57 -0500

Joinson wrote:
>Has anyone made up items that combine technology and magic?

More to come, but the following spells came from the old Illuminati BBS
discussion group for GURPS magic. I regret that I no longer remember the
name(s) of the author(s). Tech level of introduction is my own contribution;
this assumes that the concept of tech levels can be applied to magic, which
I will expand in future posts.

Genetic Manipulation Spells
---------------------------
        For the purposes of these spells, a gene is considered to be the
entire gene sequence that is responsible for a certain trait. This would
include, as examples, a gene responsible for night vision, or a gene
responsible for the musculature associated with a Strength of 20. Anything
which the GM rules has a genetic basis can be duplicated.

Find Gene                                                        Information
        Determines if a certain gene is present in a subject. The caster
must
have present a specimen with the genes he wishes to find in the subject or
have cast Analyze Genes on such a specimen.
        Cost: 2.
        Time to Cast: 2 seconds.
        Tech Level: 5.
        Prerequisites: IQ 15+, Magery 2.
        Item: Jewelry, staff or wand. Energy cost to create: 250. Usable
only
by a mage.

Analyze Genes (VH)                                               Information
        Gives full knowledge of subject's genetic make-up.
        Cost: 5.
        Time to cast: 10 minutes.
        Tech Level: 5.
        Prerequisites: Find Gene.
        Item: Jewelry, staff or wand. Energy cost to create: 1200. Usable
only by a mage.

Hide Gene                                Regular, Resists Information spells
        Makes a gene undetectable, resulting in a Contest of Skills when
confronted by a Find or Analyze Gene spell.
        Duration: 1 minute.
        Cost: 2; 1 to maintain. May be made permanent, at an energy cost of
100.
        Time to cast: 1 second.
        Tech Level: 5.
        Prerequisites: Analyze Genes.
        Item: Jewelry, staff or wand. Energy cost to create: 150. Usable
only
by a mage.

Gene Mask (VH)                           Regular, Resists Information spells
        Masks subject's entire genetic structure, making it appear
completely
different, as specified by caster. Contest of Skills as above.
        Duration: 1 minute.
        Cost: 3; 2 to maintain. May be made permanent, at an energy cost of
600.
        Time to cast: 2 seconds.
        Tech Level: 5.
        Prerequisites: Hide Gene.
        Item: Jewelry, staff or wand. Energy cost to create: 900. Usable
only
by a mage.

Alter Genes (VH)                                                     Regular
        Caster can modify one aspect of a subject's genetic code. This could
change appearance, alter strength, or give some unusual abilities, such as
Night Vision, but this would place the recipient in point debt. Furthermore,
a character cannot make an alteration which requires that he expend
Character
Points if he is still paying for a previous alteration; the spell will
simply
fail. Note that changing genetic code in an adult subject may fail to impart
the ability which that gene governs.
        When altering genes, a character cannot add abilities which he has
not "genetically sampled." Thus, a mage would have to use Analyze Genes upon
someone with Night Vision in order to introduce the genes into himself. An
alternative is to conduct Genetic Research, which is simply to invent the
gene, using standard invention or gadgeteering rules, substituting TL9+
Genetics for Engineering skill. (Tech rated skills default to higher tech
levels at -5 per tech level, with a maximum of 3 levels, so genetic research
is barely possible at TL6).
        All genetic alterations are permanent unless reversed.
        Cost: Varies. For alterations which require Character Points, energy
cost is equal to 10 times the point cost. Thus, Night Vision would cost 100.
For alterations which do not cost character points, the energy cost is 90.
        Tech Level: 6.
        Prerequisites: Magery 3, Alter Body, Gene Mask, and Genetic
Engineering skill 15+.

Crossbreed (VH)                                                      Regular
        This rare spell facilitates breeding between different species,
yielding a makara. This process occurs naturally in areas of normal mana,
but
the chance of offspring such a union is very low. If successful, this spell
raises the chance to what it would be for in-species breeding of the less
fertile partner, and the offspring will be healthy. If the spell fails, any
offspring which may result is likely to be flawed in some way by
incompatible
genes, like the Mermecoleon (p. FB45). Crossbreeds may be crossbred
themselves. For example, combining a Giant Eagle and a Horse results in the
formation of a Hippogriff, and further re-combination of a Hippogriff and
another Horse forms a Pegasus. Many races that are part human, part animal
or
combinations of two or more animal types are possibilities, although
Centaurs, Faeries, Merfolk, Minotaurs, Satyrs, and Winged Folk, may not
approve of the notion that they are nothing more than successful wizard's
experiments.
        Duration: Permanent.
        Cost: 25 times the expected HT score of crossbreed.
        Time to Cast: 1 hour per 100 energy points.
        Tech Level: 4.
        Prerequisites: Magery 3, Alter Body, Enchant, and any 3 Shapeshift
Other spells.

Gef