Subject: Alternate GURPS Magic
From: [email-masked] (Basil B Varian)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:24:24 -0400

Below is a magic system I thought up today.  It represents how I view the
mechanics of spell-casting.  Please let me know what you think about it. 
Any advice that would help me "clean up" the mechanics and/or make the
system run smoothly would be GREATLY appreciated.  Mind you, it's a bit
rough, but I think I've covered all the important bits.

AN ALTERNATE SYSTEM FOR GURPS MAGIC
By Merlin273 (B. James Varian)

MAGIC COLLEGE SKILL
	The individual Magic Colleges are bought as Mental Very Hard
skills. This skill represents the fundamental, overall knowledge of that
College.  To possess a working knowledge of the College, at least 1 point
MUST be spent in it (like the learning of spells in the "official
system".

(EX: Darkoth has an IQ 14 and Magery 3, wants to learn the College of
Necromancy.  For learning purposes, his IQ is 17 to learn this College. 
The  player spends 1 point and Darkoth now has Necromancy-14) 

MAGERY
	Works the same as the "official" system; adding to IQ for
learning spells and determining default levels (see below).  

NOTE: However, unlike the "official" system, Magery is NOT a must for
spell-casting or knowing magic.  Anyone can learn a spell or cast it. 
Magery is that quality of affinity with magic that allows a Mage to learn
quicker and be more adept at casting.  

LEARNING SPELLS
	When a Mage wishes to learn a spell within a specific College of
Magic, he adds his level(s) of Magery to his IQ score.  This total score
is the equivalent IQ for purposes of determining the spell's default
level.  Spells are learned as specific maneuvers learned within the
College.  Since each spell is a separate maneuver, prerequisites are not
required (Though I personally think certain spells SHOULD require
prerequisites due to their complexity.  However, this is a GM's
decision).

Spells are purchased like Maneuvers, and if you wish to use the spells
from GURPS Magic or GURPS Grimorie, simply make MH spells Average and MVH
spells Hard. 

(EX: Darkoth wishes to learn 'Turn Zombie' and 'Summon Shade' at a skill
of 16 (or Default +2).  'Turn Zombie' (MH) becomes an Average Maneuver
and 'Summon Shade' (MVH) becomes a Hard Maneuver.  So, Darkoth spends 1
point for 'Turn Zombie', and 2 points for Summon Shade.)

SPELL-CASTING
	When a Mage casts a spell, several things come into play: (1)
Fatigue spent, and (2) the casting time.

	FATIGUE
 		Since (by these rules anyway) magical energy is an
ambient power source in the environment, Mages, who basically "channel"
this energy, normally don't get tired by casting a spell or two.  They
do, however, get tired after casting for a while - much like any physical
exercise.  Like exercise, spell-casting fatigue depends on the Mage's
fitness - or in this case "spell stamina".  This "stamina" is determined
by their skill.  To simulate this, replace the Mage's HT with his Spell
skill level.  With the casting of each spell, make a Skill check.  If the
Mage fails his check he loses 1 Fatigue point for an Average spell and 2
Fatigue for a Hard spell. 

	(EX: Darkoth is casting Summon Shade-16...He rolls 3d twice: once
for the casting success and again to see if it cost him any Fatigue.  In
this example, he fails his roll and - since Summon Shade' is a Hard spell
- - loses 2 Fatigue in the process)

	CASTING TIME
		The casting time of a spell depends on its complexity and
amount of magical energy is placed into it.  For game purposes, use the
casting times listed in Magic and Grimorie with the following modifier: 
		For every +1d damage with an attack spell, add 1 second
(this represents the Mage "charging up" or "building" the attack).
								 CRITICAL
FAILURES	
	My personal belief is that the critical failure of a spell should
be a GM's fiat, having the damage results in some way reflect the spell
and make the character's life interesting or miserable.  However, the
chart listed in 'Magic' is fine as an alternative.

[email-masked]

We apologize for the inconvenience.
                                  - GOD