From: Brandon Quina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:52:24 -0500

NEW ADVANTAGES
- --------------

Full Magery (50pt advantage)

This advantage allows the character to buy the strokes and colors
of magic, and develop them to his hearts content.  No one without
this advantage can use magic--  they can learn the relevant skills,
but would be unable to actually make it work.

One-Color Magery (15pt advantage)

This advantage allows you to buy all the strokes, but you can only
ever learn one color of magic.  This is somewhat useful, but not as
powerful as the full magery.  This advantage *can* be learned after
character creation, but it costs 30pts if earned during play.

STROKES of MAGIC
- ----------------

Each stroke of magic is a Mental/Very Hard skill.  It confers the
ability to manipulate the various colors of magic, and therefore
to cast spells.

The higher your skill level, the less preperation and energy is
needed to cast the spell.  You have to have atleast a skill of 10
to use a stroke.

10-14           Your spell must be cast with both gestures and
                incantations.  Use the listed energy cost.
15-8            Your spell can be cast with either gestures or
                incantations.  Use the listed energy cost.
19-20           Your spell can be cast without any gestures or
                incantations.  It costs 1 less energy than it
                normally would.
21+             Your spell can be cast without any gestures or
                incantations.  It costs 2 less energy than it
                normally would.

Upward          -       This is creation magic, and allows you
                        to create the color from nothing.
Downward        -       This is destruction magic, and allows you
                        to injure or destroy the color.
Diagonal        -       This is transmutation magic, and it allows
                        you to change and mutate the color.
Horizontal      -       This is controlling magic, and it allows
                        you to control a color.
Spiral          -       This is perception magic, and it allows you
                        to percieve a color.

COLORS OF MAGIC
- ---------------

HIGH COLORS             AREA OF SPECIALTY
- -----------           -----------------
White                   Life Magic, Healing, and Protection.
Black                   Death Magic, Necromancy, and Summoning.

LOW COLORS              AREA OF SPECIALTY
- ----------            -----------------
Green                   Earth Magic, Animal Magic, and Order.
Azure                   Air Magic, Time, and Movement.
Red                     Fire Magic, Destruction, and Chaos.
Blue                    Water Magic, Weather, and Metamagic.

CASTING A SPELL
- ---------------

The player first declares what he wants to do with his spell,
and tell the game master.  The game master should check and make
sure that he has the relevant colors and strokes that are needed
for the magic to be attempted, and decide how much energy the
spell will require.  He *does not* tell the player how much energy
will be needed.  Remember to modify the energy cost that you
deicded on if the player knows his stroke at level 19 or higher.

The player spends the required fatigue.  If he doesn't have enough
fatigue to power the spell--  two hitpoints can be used in place of
one point of fatigue.  Unless you criticially fail the spell, however,
you will not kill yourself in this way--  although you can knock
yourself unconcious.

Next, the player rolls to see if he can cast the spell.  The roll
is based on his relevant color.  If he is using more than one
color, the roll is whichever color is *worse*.  Using two or more
strokes has two effects--  first, you use the lowest stroke to
decide the ritual needed to cast the spell and any energy reduction.
In addition, every stroke used beyond the first gives you a -1 to
your relevant color roll.

If the roll succeeds, then the spell is cast correctly.  The game
master should decide the effects.

ENERGY COST
- -----------

The actual fatigue costs of the spells vary greatly, and
the game master should decide what to chage based on the
basic effect that the player wants.  Some effects should
not be allowed at all--  this mode of magic is not as powerful
as some others, although it makes up for that in the fact
that is more flexible.

- --guidelines--
If the effect is minor and has little effect on game play,
then you can safely charge 0 or 1 fatigue for it.  Most
'cantrip' like effects go here.  Using upward red magic to
create floating balls of light and somesuch :)

If the effect is still somewhat minor, but has some effect
on gameplay, then a 1-2 fatigue is a good cost.  Using upward
red magic to start a fire.

If the effect is beginning to get important, but still isnt
too over the top, then 3-4 fatigue is the way to go.  This would
be roasting an Orc alive with upward red magic.

If the effect is beginning to get seriously potent, and makes
things easy for the characters, then the wizard has just entered
into the 5-7 fatigue range.  This would be roasting an entire
group of orcs with upward red magic.

Lastly, if the effect is a major feat of magic that is both
extremely powerful, impressive, and just neat.  This is the 7-10
fatigue range.  A good example of this would be using upward red
magic to engulf an entire house in flames.

Anything more powerful than that should cost even more fatigue,
or just not be allowed.