Subject: Meta Magic System (Draft) v2
From: [email-masked] (Chris Kirby)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 06:48:15 -0800

Here is the second version of my rough draft for my Meta Magic System.
Rather than just having Magery being the only advantage mages can get, there
are now several: 

Magery - How well can I cast spells
Power - Can I go beyond normal limits
Self Power - Powers magic items and long duration spells
Channels - Getting energy from outside sources
Reserves - Extra energy that some mages have

Using this system, each mage in effect creates his own magic system.  While
this takes a little more time to setup, it adds a lot of variety.

BTW this is made up of things I saw on the net combined with pieces I added.

---------------------------------------

LIMITATIONS

[ I am in the process of switching this section over so it will use the
standard 
Supers/Psionics Enhancements and Limitations.  Certain adjustments will have
to be made since the enhancements/limitations will affect many spells, not
just one advantage]

        Magery, Power, Channels and so on help differentiate mages from one
another.  To help reduce the cost of the various advantages, a mage can take
limitations which limit what the mage can do.  It is these limitations,
combined with the selection of advantages, which make every mage unique.

        Some example limitations (based on old article in Roleplayer):

(-50%) Air Mage: Advantage affects Air, Communication & Empathy, Mind 
Control, Knowledge, Protection & Warning, Enchantment (w/o Weapon and 
Armor), and Meta spells.

(-50%) Earth Mage: Advantage affects Earth, Making and Breaking, All 
Enchantment, Necromancy, Body Control, and Meta spells.

(-50%) Fire Mage:  Advantage affects Fire, Illusion & Creation, Light &
Darkness, Movement, Sound, Enchantment (w/o Weapon and Armor), and Meta spells.

(-50%) Water Mage:  Advantage affects Water, Healing, Animal, Plant, Food, 
Enchantment (w/o Weapon and Armor), and Meta spells.

        Each limitation has a multiplier, which reduces the cost of the advantag
e.
A mage with normal magery II costs 40 ( 5 + 15 + 20 ), which is a little
high.  If the player decides the mage will be a fire mage, which has a
multipler of 1/2x, then it would cost only 20 (40 x 1/2).  In addition, for
advantages which a mage has several levels of, he can choose to take make
restrictive limitations on his higher ( and more expensive ) levels and
little or no limitations on his lower levels.  So the player above could
decide to get Magery 0 in everything for 5, and Fire Magery I and II for
17.5 ( 15 x 1/2 + 20 x 1/2 ), or a total of 22.5.  Taken even further, the
player could have the Magery II limited to Fire, Light & Darkness, and Meta
Spells for a 1/3x multiplier.  This would reduce his total cost to 19 (5 +
15 x 1/2 + 20 x 1/3).  

Types of Limitations:
  Limited Number of Colleges
  Penalty to Certain Colleges ( ex. Fire Magery which also acts as -1 Water
Magery )
  Requires Focus ( Staff, Crystal, Charm )
  
  -10% to -40% Accessibility
  -10% to -40% Differential Effect ( -20% Not Against Women, -10% Half Effect 
Against Women)
  -30% Emergencies Only
  -20% Fatigue Damage Only
  -10% to -70% Fickle - Advantage tends to stop working.
  Limited Use
  Nuisance Effect
  Takes Recharge
  Uncontrollable
  Unreliable
  
---------------------------------------

MAGERY

        Magery represents a character's aptitude for controlling the forces of
magic.  It reflects how easily the character can learn magic and determines
the level of magical complexity that the character can handle.

        There are two forms of Magery, Normal and Group.  Humans, elves, goblins
,
and wemics have normal magery.  This is the normal GURPS magery which helps
the character learn spells.  Most dwarvish and reptilians have group magery
where magic is learned by group rather than by spell.  When buying magery,
the character should buy the appropriate type.

        Magery 0 is the minimum amount of magery that allows the character to ca
st
spells.  If a character does not have at least magery 0, they cannot learn
spells.  Magery I, II, and III allow the character to learn more complex
spells.  Magery IV+ are beyond the scope of normal spells.  Spells requiring
magery IV+ would have unbelievable capabilities (and costs...)

Game Terms:

        Magery provides a bonus to the character's IQ when learning spells equal
 to
the level of magery.  Magery 0 does not help the character learn spells,
while magery III gives a +3 to the character's IQ when learning spells.

        The chart below shows the cost for magery at the various levels.  The Co
st
column shows the cost for that particular level only, the previous levels
must also be payed for.  The Total column shows the total cost to get magery
at a particular level.  It is possible to reduce the costs of magery by
taking a reduced version of magery (see Limitations).

        Normal  Magery  Group   Magery
Magery  Cost    Total   Cost    Total
0       5       5       10      10
I       15      20      20      30
II      20      40      25      55
III     25      65      30      85
IV      30      95      35      120

---------------------------------------

POWER

        In GURPS Magic, there are certain limitations placed on what a mage can 
do.
Some spells are limited to 3d, others to 4ST.  In addition, to cast spells
on a large area can quickly become very expensive.  Finally, there is the
Rule of 16 which limits a mage's skill to 16 for resistance rolls.  While
most mages fit into these limitations, some mages can go beyond them.  This
ability to go beyond normal limitations is called Power.  

Game Terms:

        For each level of Power that a mage has, he must do one of the following
:

  Increase Maximum Effect by 1 ( 1d, amount healed, ... )
  Increase Base Hex Size by 1 ( before multiplying for ST spent )
  Break the Rule of 16 by 1

        Ferrous the  Fiery Wizard of Fresno has a Power of 2 for fire
spells.   Ferrous can cast 5d ( 3d max + 2 power ) flame jets.  ( for 15ST!,
but he can cast it... ) [My jet spells cost 1/3/6/10/15/...]  Ferrous casts
create fire (base cost 2) and spends 6ST.  Instead of a 3 hex radius, he
gets ( 1 base hex + 2 hex from power ) * ( 6 ST spent / Base Cost of 2 ) or
9 hex radius!
        Ferrous tries to Control a Fire Elemental he happens upon.  Instead
of being limited to a skill of 16, he is limited to a skill of 18 ( base 16
+ 2 power ) when the elemental is resisting.

        Power must always be used.  If Ferrous want to cast create fire, he must
increase its area since there is no die limitation or need to increase the
rule of 16.  That means the smallest create fire that Ferrous can do is 1
hex base + 2 hex from power, or a 3 hex radius!

Power   Cost for Level  Total Cost
1       15              15
2       20              35
3       25              60

TIME

[ I think this is going to become an enhancement/limitation.  I think it
fits better as a percentage 
bonus/penalty than as a fixed number ]

        Spells require a certain amount of time to cast.  While the casting time
cannot be decreased except through high skill, some characters require more
time when casting.  Taking more time than normal mages gives the character
points which can be spent on magical advantages only.  Certain limitations
are placed on Blocking spells depending on the casting time multiplier.
 
Casting Time Multiplier Spell Limitations       Cost
x1                      none                    0
x2                      a                       -5
x4                      b                       -10
x60                     b                       -20
x3600                   b                       -40

Spell Limitations:

actually using it.  Either the character must win initiative and start
casting the spell, or the character must have declared his intention to cast
the spell at the end of the last round.

---------------------------------------

        SELF POWER

        All magic items require a certain amount of magical power to maintain
themselves.  A character's self power is measure of how much magical power
that the character attracts to himself.  Using this attracted power,
characters can provide the neccessary power needed for their magical items.
A magic item's self power (SP) cost is determined by dividing the cost to
create by some number.  This number can vary widely based on the quality of
the item.  Crude 
magic items may have a cost of 1SP/500ST or 1SP/100ST, while well made items
are usually 1SP/1000ST.  This is for normal magic items, it is rumored that
the SP cost can be reduced through special spells during creation of the item.

        Powerstones tend to have an increased self power cost which is due to th
e
powerstone's nature of drawing power into itself.  Different powerstones
have different levels of leakage, which determines the amount of self power
that the powerstone will require to maintain itself.  This can lead to a ST3
powerstone with a SP cost of 3 and another ST3 powerstone with a cost of
1SP.  Obviously this leads to some powerstones being more desirable than others.

        Besides powering magical items, mages have learned to tap into their sel
f
power to maintain long duration spells.  If the character has open self
power, he can use it to maintain spells.  This can only be used on spells
which have a duration of one minute or more.  Each point of self power is
the equivalent of 1 ST for maintaining spells, but each spell maintained
reduces the caster's effective skill in all other maintained spells.  So if
a caster is maintaining two spells with skill 15 each, the first has an
effective skill of 15 and the second has an effective skill of 14.  If each
cost 1 ST per minute to maintain, the first would be maintained for free
(skill of 15), but the second would cost 1SP to maintain.  The skill penalty
for maintained spells does not effect the skill level for spells cast
normally.  This is different from standard GURPS magic rules, but allows
mages to actually maintain spells.  The GM will also have to examine the
maintenance cost for spells on a spell by spell basis.  The GM should feel
free to modify the cost of maintaining the spell if he feels that the cost
is not high enough.

Initial Value: 10
amount of magic available in the campaign.

---------------------------------------

Channeling

        Mages are always faced with the problem that they often need to cast spe
lls
on short notice.  All these spells require strength that the mage always
finds in short supply.  Where is a mage to find all this strength that he
needs?  Mages get very resourceful in finding external sources for strength.
Once a mage has a source of strength, they need to channel the strength from
it.  Mages deciding to channel need the channeling skill.

Channeling (Mental/Hard)        Default to IQ-6
        This is the skill of tapping into external energy sources and channeling
energy to the mage.  When a mage determines the source of energy and the
amount he wants to channel, he multiplies this amount by his channeling
modifier (see below) to determine his skill penalty.  If the mage succeeds
in a roll against his modified channeling skill then he has successfully
channeled the energy from the source.  A mage can cast a spell in that same
round if he so chooses at a penalty equal to the channeling skill penalty.
This can be risky, but is sometimes neccessary.  Unfortunately, channeling
energy can be downright dangerous.  If a mage attempts to channel energy and
fails, the energy has to go somewhere.  Usually the channeled energy
uncontrollably rips through the mage's body, inflicting one point of damage
per point of uncontrolled energy, but the GM is free to devise his own means
to resolve the uncontrolled energy. 

Channeling Modifiers
        When a mage decides to channel energy, there are several factors which
affect the difficulty of channeling of the energy:
  Channels - the natural ability that the mage has to channel
  Source Difficulty - the difficulty to channel from an energy source
  Familiarity with Type of Source - time spent with a type of source
  Familiarity with Particular Source - time spent with a particular source

Channels
        Some mages are better at channeling than others and this is based on a
natural ability called channels.  There are different levels of channels,
just like there are different levels of magery.  The higher the level of
channels that a mage has, the easier it is to channel.  Also like magery,
channels can be purchased with limitations to reduce the cost.

Level   Energy Multiplier       Cost    Total Cost
0       5x                      0       0
1       1x                      10      10
2       1/2x                    15      25
3       1/3x                    20      45

Source DIfficulty
        Some sources hold onto their energy tightly while others are almost givi
ng
it away. This difference in channeling difficulty is represented by
different energy multipliers for different types of sources.  In addition,
some mages have an affinity to a particular type of source which provides a
lower energy multiplier for that type of source.

Familiarity with Type of Source
        Each type of source has its own tricks and techniques for channeling tha
t
must be learned before the mage can efficiently channel power.  As the mage
spends time practicing with a type of source (i.e. by spending points on
Familiarity), he can eliminate the energy multiplier for the Familiarity
with Source.

Familiarity with Particular Source
        Some types of sources vary widely and the mage must spend some time
learning the peculiarities of any particular source.  Familiarity with a
particular source can usually be gained in eight hours ( B44 ).

When deciding on the cost for Source Affinity and familiarity with type of
source, there are several factors that should be considered: Portable,
Distance Penalty, Risks, Transfer Type, Amount of Energy Available, and
Frequency.

Here are some example sources of energy:

non-risky(+), provides energy in chunks(-), has limited energy with slow
recharge(-), are fairly common at the lower strengths(+), and are easy to
use(+).  Depending on the campaign, each powerstone can be unique.  In my
campaign a typical powerstone has values something like:
        Source Difficulty: 1/2x (Powerstone are designed to give power away)
        Familiarity with Type of Source: 1x
        Familiarity with Particular Source: 
                2x-5x for unfamiliar powerstone (based on size of stone)
                1x-2x for familiar powerstone (based on time spent, size)
                1/2x-1x for well studied powerstones

Ley Line: A ley line is non portable(-), uses the long distance penalty
modifier(+), is non-risky unless defensive spells are in place on them(~),
provides energy each round(+), are usually very small(-),  are fairly
common(+), and are easy to use(+).  

penalty modifier(+), is fairly risky even without defensive spells in place
on them(-), provide energy in chunks(-), tend to have large amounts of power
available(+), tend to somewhat rare(~), and are hard to use(-).

Final Strike:
        Based on the level of Channels, there is a limit on how much energy a ma
ge
can pull in.  Mages normally pull in far less than this limit so they have
some hope of controlling the influx of energy.  A final strike is when a
mage pulls in as much energy as possible with no hope of controlling it.
The resulting blast tends to be very detrimental to those around the mage,
and always fatal to the mage.

---------------------------------------

RESERVES

        Many mages have the ability to build up a pool of energy within their bo
dy.
While these pools, often known as reserves, are very slow to recharce, they
often can mean the difference between life and death.

Game Terms:
 
        When a mage draws energy out of his reserves, it is a traumatic process
since the energy is integrated into his body.  For every HT of damage that
the mage takes, he can draw as much energy equal to his level in Reserves
spell in the same round with the normal penalty for expending HT in
spellcasting (-1/HT)[M8].  Any points of HT used in accessing reserves also
provide energy for spellcasting.

        After a failed assination attempt, Y'dref the Vile is being persued by o
ur
valiant heroes. He has drained his powerstones and used most of his ST in
his attempt to outdistance his pursuers, all to no avail.  Finally, he gets
passed the main gate and exits the city, and more importantly the Teleport
Shield protecting it.  Now at last he can teleport away from here.  With
some trepidation, Y'dref pulls energy out of his reserves and teleports back
to his Crag Tower.  The valiant heroes press on, hoping to corner him in his
lair while his reserves are low.  And so the adventure continues...

        Y'dref only has 3 ST and 4 HT left which is not enough for the 10 energy
 he
needs for the teleport.  Luckily for him, he has 5 energy in reserves which
he has been saving for just such an occasion.  He has one level of reserves
so if he spends 4HT which is matched by 4RE and adds 2ST he can scrape
together the 10 energy that he needs.  He will be at -4 when casting the
spell due to the 4HT used.  Assuming he makes the teleport, he will have
1ST, 0HT, and 1RE left and will propably soon pass out but will be safe from
our valiant heroes.

        There are two parts to recovering from the use of reserves.  Healing the
 HT
used in accessing the reserves can only be done using normal rest [B128].
Magical healing will just not work.  Recovering RE takes much longer.  A
mage can make one HT roll per level in reserves per week to recover RE.

        While Y'dref did manage to escape, it will take him a long time to recov
er.
While he could possibly recover all his HT in 4 days and all his RE in 4
weeks, his HT of 10 means it will probably take 8 days and 8 weeks instead.

Level   Cost    Reserve Size
1       ?       1/2 * Fatigue
2       ?       2/2 * Fatigue
3       ?       3/2 * Fatigue

        It is rumored that some mages can store energy stolen from the blood of
their victims in a fashion similar to reserves.