Subject: Magic Points: Alternative Magic Power System Draft 1
From: Gregory Littmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:29:13 -0400 (EDT)

*ALTERNATIVE MAGICAL POWER POOLS*

*THE PROBLEM*

  In GURPS magic, magic is powered from Fatigue.  In many genre's magic 
is not.  Even in games, supernatural force has been powered by such 
diverse elements as (will)Power (Call of Cthulhu), Chi (Feng Shui), and 
Blood Points (Vampire: The Masquerade).  G.M.s in GURPS should have a 
wide range of options for powering magical effects - but we don't.

  At first glance (at least if you are quick enough), the problem looks 
simple to deal with.  You give the power source a name (e.g. "X 
points"), and modify the cost of each point in the pool for
1.  How many fatigue each X point is worth (this is called Power below).
2.  How hard it is to recharge X points.

  Unfortunately, there is no way to capture the present magic system 
this way.  For 15 points, a mage gains a +1 to spell skill, a capacity 
to recognize magic, and the ability to tap a power pool worth ST (or HT 
for the truly enlightened).  Regardless of whether the standard system 
is overpriced, if the more general system is to offer attractive 
alternatives, it must be competative with this.

  As a default, I suggest a Power Pool advantage.  The Power Pool 
advantage costs 15 points and works much the same as Magical Aptitude.  
This advantage gives a +1 to spell skills and an ability to recognize 
magic (or some other aspect of the supernatural).  Morover, it would 
give 20 character points to be spent on the default size of the Power 
Pool itself.  The default can be raised by adding extra character points 
to this 20.

  Yes, this means that for about 5 points, you get 20 points to spend on 
a certain advantage.  If we want these Power Pools to balance with 
authodox GURPS magic, I don't see any other way.

  As with Magical Aptitude, further pluses to spell skill, up to a total 
of +3, may be purchased for 10 points each.

  With these character points, you purchase X points, where X is 
whatever sort of power you use to fuel your supernatural effects.  
Character points convert to X points depending on Power and Difficulty 
of Recharge.

Power:  How mighty are your units of power X?  The more "magical 
fatigue" they are worth, the less flexible they will be.  After all, it 
is better to have two points worth one fatigue that can be spent 
seperately than it is to have one point worth two fatigue.  The cost of 
X in power points is 2 for the first fatigue's worth, +1 for every 
subsequent fatigue's worth.

  For instance:
  Standard Points provide power equal to 1 fatigue each (Power 1), so 
they cost 2 character points each.  A pool of 15 would cost a base of 30 
character points.
  Star Points provide power equal to 2 fatigue each (Power 2), so they 
cost 3 character points each.  A pool of 15 would cost a base 35 
character points.
  Points of Evil Might provide power equal to 5 fatigue each (Power 5), 
so they cost 6 Power Points for each one in the pool over 10.  A pool of 
15 would cost a base 90 character points all up.

Difficulty of Recharge:  The cost of X points is modified by how hard it 
is to recharge the pool once they are spent.  This will largely be the 
G.M.s call, but here are some suggested guidelines.  Obviously, these 
difficulties will vary widely depending on the setting.
Extremely Easy:  Rest - one fatigue's worth per 1 minute's rest; Prayer 
- - one fatigue's worth per 10 seconds of loud praying.  Cost x 2.
Very Easy:  Rest - one fatigue's worth per ten minutes rest; Eat - one 
fatigues worth per quarter lb. of food.  Standard cost.
Easy:  Sleep - one fatigue's worth per hour of sleep; Simple religious 
ritual - one fatigue's worth per 30 minutes.  Cost / 2.
Difficult:  Drink blood - one fatigues worth per HT; Perform animal 
sacrifice - one fatigue's worth per HT.  Cost / 3.
Hard:  Save a stranger's life - one fatigue's worth per IQ, Human 
Sacrifice - one fatigue's worth per IQ (this will be *much* harder in 
some worlds).  Cost / 4.
Very Hard:  Elaborate ceremony requiring 10 participants, performable 
only once a week - one fatigue's worth per hour; Convert someone to your 
faith - one fatigue's worth per IQ.  Cost / 5.

  For instance:
  Standard Points can be recharged by 10 minutes of rest (5 with a 
Recover Strength spell).  However, until they are recharged, the 
character is at -1 fatigue.  The G.M. decides that in the world at hand, 
this is Very Easy.  There will be no modifier to cost.
  Points of Necromancy can be recharged only by sleeping in a crypt, at 
a rate of one fatigue's worth per hour.  The G.M. decides that in the 
world at hand, this is Difficult (if only because of the social stigma 
that it will generate).  The cost of Points of Necromancy will be 
divided by 3.
  Bountious Chi Points can be recharged only by intense meditation - one 
fatigue's worth per 10 minutes.  The G.M. decides that this is Very 
Easy.  The cost of Bountious Chi Points will not be modified.

*DETAILED EXAMPLES OF POWER POOL PURCHASING*

1.  STANDARDO THE STANDARD GURPS MAGE

  Standardo will use the standard GURPS magic system.  Standard points 
provide one fatigue's worth of Power each and are recharged by resting 
for 10 minutes (or 5 with a Restore Strength spell) - one Standard Point 
(Power 1) per 10 or 5 minutes rest.  As a special limitation, until they 
are recharged, the character is at -1 fatigue.  There is no modifier for 
Power.  The G.M. rules tha tin the world in question, the recharge 
method is Very Easy, so there is no modifier here either.  Each Standard 
Point will cost 2 character points.

  Standardo buys the Power Pool advantage for 15 points, and two more 
levels of Standard Magical Aptitude, for a total of 35 points.

  For his Power Pool, Standardo has 20 character points to spend, as 
provided by the Power Pool advantage.  He has 10 Standard Points in his 
pool, and each provides the same power as one fatigue.

  This is, in fact, not quite the standard GURPS magic system, since the 
Power Pool is not *based* on ST, but it is near enough for me.

2.  PEACHFUZZ THE FAE

  Peachfuzz the Fae will use Fae Points to power her spells.  Fae points 
provide one fatigue's worth of Power each and are recharged by romping 
gayly in the forest - one Fae Point (Power 1) per ten minutes of romp.  
There is no modifier for Power.  The G.M. rules that in the world in 
question, the recharge method is Easy, so cost is halved.  Each Fae 
Point will cost 1 character point.

  Peachfuzz buys the Power Pool advantage for 15 points, and two more 
levels of Fae Magic Aptitude, for a total of 35 points.

  For her Power Pool, Peachfuzz has 20 character points to spend, as 
provided by the Power Pool advantage.  She has 20 Fae Points in her 
pool, and each provides the same power as one fatigue.

3.  DREAMING TIGER THE MYSTIC

  Dreaming Tiger will use Mystic Points to power his spells.  Mystic 
Points provide five fatigue's worth of Power each and are recharged by 
self-mutilation - five fatigue's worth to be replaced by each HT taken.  
Binding, First aid, or magical healing on this damage will result in the 
loss of all Mystic Points for a month, and the signs of mutilation must 
be publically visable.  The Power modifier indicates that each Mystic 
Point will cost a base 6 character points each.  The G.M. rules that in 
the world in question, the recharge method is Hard, so cost is divided 
by 4.  Each Mystic Point will cost 1.5 character points.

  Dreaming Tiger buys the Power Pool advantage for 15 points and spends 
another 15 points to pump it up.

  The Power Pool advantage gives him 20 character points in the pool, 
which becomes 35 from the added 15.  At 1.5 character points per Mystic 
Point, Dreaming Tiger has 23 Mystic Points in his pool.

4.  BROTHER CADMIUS OF THE FLAME

  Brother Cadmius of the Flame uses Asura Points (Asura is his God's 
name).  Each Asura Point provides 10 fatigue's worth of Power and is 
recharged by prayer before a fire - one Asura Point (Power 10) per hour 
of prayer.  The Power modifier indicates that each Asura Point will cost 
a base 11 character points.  The G.M. rules that in the world in 
question, the recharge method is Very Easy, so there is no modifier for 
difficulty.  Each Asura Point will cost 11 character points.

  Brother Cadmius of the Flame buys the Power Pool advantage for 15 
points and spends another 13 points to pump it up.

  The Power Pool advantage gives him 20 character points in the pool, 
which becomes 33 from the added 13.  At 1.5 character points per Asura 
Point, Brother Cadmius has 3 Asura Points in his pool.

5.  PROFESSOR THANATOS

  Professor Thanatos uses Points of Oblivion.  Each Point of Oblivion 
provides fatigue's worth of Power and is recharged by goading someone 
into suicide without the use of mind magics - one Oblivion Point (Power 
2) per 2 points of IQ the victem possessed.  The Power modifier 
indicates that each Point of Oblivion will cost a base 3 character 
points.  The G.M. decides that in the world in question, the recharge 
method is Very Hard, so the cost is divided by 5.  Each Oblivion Point 
will cost half a character point.

  Professor Thanatos buys the Power Pool advantage for 15 points and 
spends another 7 points to pump it up.

  The Power Pool advantage gives him 20 character points in the pool, 
which becomes 27 from the added 7.  At half a character point per Point 
of Oblivion, Professor Thanatos has 54 Points of Oblivion in his pool.

*DETAILS, DETAILS*

Question:  High skill reduces the fatigue cost of spells.  Does high 
skill reduce the X point cost of spells?
Answer:  Yes, but only not always so efficiently.  Note how much fatigue 
would have been saved by high skill.  That is the fatigue's worth of 
power that is saved, rounded down.  For instance, let us say that 1 
fatigue is saved.  That means that any X point that provides 1 fatigue's 
worth of power could also be saved.  If the fatigue saving is 2, any 
then 2 X points with a power of 1 fatigue or one X point with a power of 
2 fatigue could be saved.  To use the above characters as examples, 
Peachfuzz will have the cost of her spells reduced by 1 Fae point at 
skill 15, and by 2 Fae Points at skill 18.  Professor Thanatos will have 
the cost of his spells reduced by 1 Point of Oblivion at skill 18, and 2 
Points of Oblivion at skill 30.  Brother Cadmius of the Flame would have 
to wait until skill 70 before *his* costs were reduced.

Question:  What if I can't provide exactly the fatigue's worth of Power 
needed to cast a spell?
Answer:  Then you need to spend more and lose the difference.  Flaming 
Weapon costs 4 fatigue to cast.  Peachfuzz could spend 4 Fae Points 
(Power 1) to cast it.  Professor Thanatos could spend 2 Points of 
Oblivion (Power 2) to cast it.  Dreaming Tiger would have to spend 1 
whole Mystic Point (Power 5), even though he wastes a fatigue's worth of 
Power.  Brother Cadmius of the Flame would have to spend a whole Asura 
Point (Power 10), even though he wastes 6 fatigue's worth of Power.

Question:  What if I only want to spend a lesser amoung on a spell that 
has a variable cost.  For instance, Destroy Air has a base cost of 2.  
What if I only want to destroy one hex of air, but my the Power of my X 
points is 6?  Do I have to destroy 3 hexes?
Answer:  No.  You can detroy one hex and waster 4 points of Power if you 
prefer.