Subject: A New Priestly Magic System
From: Leroy Van Camp III <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 00:50:03 -0800 (PST)

I have been disatisfied by most of the official attempts at priestly 
magic for GURPS.  I especially dislike the idea of making it just another 
type of magic, using the spell system.  I can't imagine a priest having 
to roll to suceed, for example.
    So, I came up with my own.
    I do not use priestly magic in my GURPS fantasy runepunk world.  This 
was created should I ever decide to use one of AD&D's settings with 
GURPS, or if I ever work on another fantasy world.
    Note that this system is fairly bare-boned, allowing for a lot of leeway
for a GM.  Much of the specifics will vary with each individual god.  This
system has not been playtested, and may have a few oversights.  This is one
of the reasons I am posting it here. 
    BTW, Thaumaturgy is the word I use for the basic GURPS magic system. 
    Another BTW, when cutting and pasting between my word processor and my
term program all apostrophes and quotation marks are lost, so things might
read a bit funny. 

    Here it is.  Read (and rip) away...

Priestly Magick

What is a Priest?
        Under this system a priest is a devout follower of a god, whose 
dedication has attracted that gods attention.  This deity grants the 
priest Powers to use to further that deitys interets, as well as the 
priests.  These Powers are manifestations of the gods power, channelled 
through the priest.
        Each god has a different suite of Powers they can grant their 
priests, based on their spheres of influence.  The god of darkness does 
not typically grant the Power to shed light, for example.  In game terms 
these are similar to spells, although their use is different.  They tap 
the strength of the god who granted them, not mana..

Who Can Gain Powers
        The prerequiste to all powers is the Clerical Investment 
advantage (pg. 19).  Unless the GM rules otherwise this costs 5 points.
        In addition to this there may be a variety of disadvantages required,
such as Duty, Sense of Duty, or Code of Honor, for example.  These reflect
the tenets the god may require of his priests, and breaking them may result
in the temporary, or even permanent, loss of the powers.
        This, though, is up to the GM and is part of the religion
construction process. 

Powers
        All Powers are bought as Knacks, using the rules from Magic.  In
summary, the cost of the Power is 2% of the power cost to make an item of the
spell.  For example, it takes 500 points to make an item that lets the user
Walk on Water, so a Power that allowed the same thing would cost 10 points
(.02 x 500).  Regardless of the formula, all Powers have a minimum cost of 5
points.  Note, though, that this is before application of some of the
modifiers below.
        If a spell does not list an item cost, the GM will assign one, or 
declare that this spell does not have a corresponding Power.

Using Powers
        Normally a priest does not have to roll for his Powers, they work
automatically.  If it is a Powers that can be resisted the priest rolls as
normal, and is considered to have a skill of 15, minus one for every Power he
is currently maintaining.  This cannot be raised as a skill, but rather
through the Divine Connestion advantage below.
        If this spell has a direct result on a target the priest must touch
that target, unless the spell is normally used at a range, such as Missile
spells.  Otherwise the spell effects must occur within the priests sight. 
For example, Pain has a direct affect on its target, so the priest must touch
it, but Simple Illusion does not, so the effect can be anywhere within the
priests sight.  GMs are encouraged to be fair and open with this.  For
example, a kind GM might not require touch for a spell like Mind-Sending,
since this is very limiting.
        If the priest rolls a critical failure on a contest he has strained
his connection to his god.  He cannot use that Power for a full day, and
takes 2d fatigue.  If this brings him below zero raise it to zero and he is
knocked unconscious.
        Normally a Power requires no words or movements to use.  The priest
simply concentrates for the Powers casting time, then it takes effect the
turn following.  This can be modified, though, using the modifiers below. 
The priest pays the cost in fatigue, as usual.
        Note that Powers are not spells, and the ritual required for using
them, as well as fatigue and time, are never affected by their skill, which
can be raised with the Divine Connection advantage. 

Learning Powers
        Learning Powers can vary from one god to another.  In general a
priests must spend time in succlusion and prayer.  If the god feels the
character should have the Power, and the character has the points to pay for
it, he gets it.
        The way a god decides whether a priests recieves a Power is wholly
subjective, depending on the god.  The god of the wilderness may require a
priest to spend a few days in the wild, living off the land without the aid
of technology, spending his nights in ritual and prayer.  The god of travel,
on the other hand, may not ask much of his priests, simply requiring that
they have been faithful, and spend one night praying for the gift.
        Some gods may require that the priest be in a certain location, such
as a temple or consecrated land, or that they give some sort of sacrifice.
        The two best guidelines for all this are the the power of the Power,
and the devotion of the priest tot he gods tenets.
        A priest who has ignored his gods sphere of influence and paid little
heed to his tenets is unlikely to have his godgrant new powers to the priest. 
This is can be used as an excellent sign that the god is unhappy with the
priest.
        And a priest who asks for too much too soon is unlikely to receive. 
Each god knows when a priest is ready for a certain power.  Initiates of the
fire god are not taught Explosive Fire Ball after only a month of servitude. 
The GM will have to decide on this, of course. 

Powers and Magick
        Although Powers are often called magick, it must be stressed that
they are not the same as Thaumaturgy, and do not tap mana for power.  A
priest cannot use a powerstone for their Powers, and the local mana level is
irrellevent.
        Despite this, Power and spells can effect one another.  A Thaumaturgy
spell can be used to counter a Power, and vica versa.  The only exception to
this is when the spell specifically states that it affects another through
the manipualtion of mana.
        Magick Resistance does not help versus Powers.

New Advantages

Divine Connection (10 per level)
        A characters level in this advantage is added to all Contests
involving his Powers.  So, a priest with Divine Connection 3 would have an
effective skill of 18 when rolling Contests of Resistance.  It is also added
to the skill level of a priests Recover Strength Power, if he has it, to
determine how quickly he recovers fatigue. 

Channeling (15 each for the first two levels, 30 for each level after that)
        This advantage represents the characters resistance to the fatiguing
effects of chanelling divine energy.
        Channeling subtracts its level from all fatigue costs, both casting
and maintenance.  For example, Walk on Water costs 3 to cast and 2 to
maintain.  A priest with Channeling 2 would only pay 1 to cast, and
maintenance would be free; he could keep it up indefinitely. 

Limitations and Enhancements
        Below are a variety of things that can modify the use and cost of 
a Power.  Most have a corresponding percentage modifier which raises or 
lowers the cost.  Simply add up all of these that apply and add them to 
the total cost.  
        It is up to the GM to decide which of these apply to Powers, and 
it can vary from one priesthood to another, or even from one power from 
another.
        One option is to let the priest himself choose for each power.  This
represent s the priests gradual mastery over the power he has been given.  At
first he needs chants and items to focus his gods energy, but as time goes on
he learns that all he really needs his his force of will.
        Plus, this saves the GM from having to design it all. 
        Also, if the GM allows, over time any limitations can be bought off
by paying the difference.  For example, if a priest learned a Power that
normally costs 40 points with a -30% limitation, the final cost would be 28
points.  Over time the character could pay the difference of 12 points,
losing the limitation.
        In turn, a priest may also be able to pay add an enhancement, by
paying the difference.  So, if a character wanted to add a 25% enhancement to
his 20 point Power, it would cost 5 points.
        The limitations and enhancements are...

Fatigue Damage Only (-20%)
        This only applies to Powers that cause damage.  Instead of doing
damage in Hit Points it does it in Fatigue. 

Limited Use (varies)
        This Power can only be used a certain number of times per day, after
which the priest can not use it again until he has had a full eight hours of
sleep.
        Normally, a use of this Power is obvious.  Each time a priest tosses
a Fireball he has used it once.  For spells that can be maintained a priest
has made one use when he activates the spell, and when a DM ordained amount
of time has passed.  This is often an hour, but can be more or less, as the
situation calls for.  For example, a priest with Flight has been flying for
an hour and a half.  This counts as two uses, since the priest is into his
second hour.
        If a priest is maintaining a power that is on its last use, it will
cease to function at the end of its hour.  This cannot normally be stopped,
and may have disastrous effects.  Thus, most priests know to keep track of
the time and end their Powers when safest.
        The value depends on the number of times the priest can use it per
day... 

        No.#    Value 
        1       -40% 
        2       -30% 
        4       -20% 
        6       -10% 
        7+       None

Requires Extra Time (-10%)
        Use of this Power takes twice as long to cast as normal.  This 
limitation can be taken multiple times, each level doubling the time 
required.

Requires Verbal Ritual (-15% or -5%)
        To cast the Power the priest is required to use a verbal ritual 
during his concentration.  For -15% the priest must perform the ritual 
for the entire time.  This must be done at at least a conversational 
volume.  For -5% the priest need only say a few words, which can be 
whispered.
        These words must be properly pronounced, and cannot be done 
through a gag or other such bindings.

Requires Somatic Ritual (-15% or -5%)
        To cast the Power the priest is required to perform a somatic 
ritual during his concentration.  For -15% the priest must perform the 
ritual for the entire time.  This is usually arm motions or dance.  For 
-5% the priest need only move a few parts a bit, such as finger or hands.
        These actions must be properly performed, and cannot be done 
through bindings that prevent them.

Requires Sacred Object (varies)
        To use this Power the priest must have an object related to the 
god he serves.  This is usually a holy symbol of some kind.  The priest 
must hold the item in his hand while concentrating, but does not need 
brandish it.  This Power cannot be used unless the item is present.
        The cost of this depends on the object.  For simple, naturally 
occurring things such as a tree branch or a rock this would be -10%.  A 
man made, yet simple item, such as a spoon, is worth -15%.  After this 
the cost is up tot he GM, up to -40% for expensive, hard to find items, 
such as a finely crafted Diamond.
 
Touch Only (-20%)
        This limitation requires the priest touch his target for the 
Power to take affect.  This is only available for Powers that don't 
already require the priest to touch the target.

Requires Less Time (10 each for the first two levels, 20 per lever 
thereafter)
        This is the opposite of Requires Extra Time.  Each level halves 
the casting time for a Power.  If this take sit to less than one, the 
Power can be activated without concentration, allowing the priest to 
perform another action that turn.  Still, no more than one Power can be 
used per turn.
        Unlike other modifiers, this enhancement is not figured as a 
percentage, but rather a flat cost added to the Power after modifiers.
        This enhancement cannot be used in conjunction with the -15% 
versions of Requires Verbal Ritual or Requires Somatic Ritual.

No Touch Required (+15% or +25%)
        With this enhancement a priest does not have to touch the target 
for the Power to take effect.  There are two levels of this enhancement.  
The first, +15%, is for Powers that do not cause direct damage or severe 
hindrance.  Examples of such spells are:  Heal, Soul Rider, Borrow 
Language, and Water Vision.  The second level is for spells that hinder 
or damage the target, such as Death Vision, Deathtouch, Clumsiness, or 
Paralysis.