Subject: 2nd try, New Advantage: Power Source
From: CraigR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:57:57 -0500

This is my second try at working up this advantage. Thank you, Kromm, for
help with prospective costs and the wording.

POWER SOURCE (50 points)

You are attuned to a magical power source which you can draw power from.
This is distinct from Magery in that whenever you are in its scope
(essentially range, see below) you have access to your spells, regardless
of the surrounding mana levels. In essence, this is a special form of 
Mana Enhancer that always keeps mana at "Normal" no matter where you go, 
but only for your spells, not for items, others' spells, etc.. The 
surrounding mana levels determine if the mage can effect others, as per 
the Mana Enhancer advantage (e.g. in an NMZ, range is physical contact). 

A note on terminology: The term "scope" is used in place of "range" for
purposes of this advantage because it's influence can pass to several
planes, which transcends the standard range convention of distance. The
default scope of a Power Source is 1 mile. (Hmm... kind of contradicts what
I just said, doesn't it?  :)

Special Enhancement: You can cast spells in a no mana zone, with range
determined by your skill. Non-Power Source mana levels do not effect you.
+150%

Special Limitation: The scope of the source Touch Only. If it is a
stationary object (a lake, arena, etc.) that you must be in physical
contact with in order to draw from it: -30%. If it's an easily carried
object that can be taken away from the user (a ring, staff, etc.): -10%.

Special Enhancement: Increased Scope
10 miles                                   +10%
100 miles                                  +20%
1000 miles/continental region              +40%
Planetwide/1 or 2 immediately adjacent planes
(ethereal, Near Umbra, etc)                +60%
System Wide/3 to 9 planes adjacent to worlds
within the system                          +80%
Galaxy Wide/10 to 99 adjacent planes      +100%
Universal/a whole lot of adjacent planes  +120%
Multi-versal/any plane, any time, with limited
exceptions                                +150%
If a source is capable of movement or being moved, and tends to keep the
attuned mage within its scope, double the modifier (this is appropiate for
all but the Universal or Multi-versal scopes). If the Power Source moves
but doesn't tend to keep the attuned mage within it's scope, that's the
Fickle limitation.

Special Limitation: Spells Require Advance Preparation. As with the normal
Prep Required, you must take time to prepare before you can cast a spell,
but you can make the preparations in advance. The cost is half the normal
Preparation Required limitation. You can cast each spell you know once each
time preparations are done  for it. 
For example, the Magister has access to a power source that has the
limitation Spells Require Advance Preparation: 10 minutes (-15%). Our hero
is trying to escape from two gaurds. Earlier, he spent 30 minutes to
prepare 3 spells: Hide, Deathtouch, and Blink. He knows Teleport, but
didn't prepare it for casting. He can cast each of the spells he prepared
once for each 10 minutes spent readying it. Note that this limitation gives
a more D&D feel to spell-casters: a mage must plan for which spells he can
cast, although that number is only limited by how much time he has.

Other notes:
Power sources may be sentient and may favor certain mages who tap them. If
so, the GM should charge the appropriate Patron cost (although such
intervention would probably occur on a 6 or less; such beings are godlike
in power within their scope). Sentient power sources can sense whoever is
tapping them and where they are. Such beings, as near gods, are probably
also fickle and may take offense if one of "their" mages insults it
somehow. It could make as powerful an Enemy as it can a friend! Intelligent
power sources are a major plot devices in any campaign they're used. 

Note also that power sources can grant other abilities that may work beyond
the sources scope. Amber example: The Fount of Power at the Keep of the
Four Worlds had a scope of 100 miles (the Keep and the surrounding area).
Jurt underwent a ritual within the Fount that allowed instantaneous World
Jumping and Teleportation well beyond the scope of the Fount. He'd have to
pay for these abilities separately.

What a character needs to do to get attuned to a power source is not a
factor in the cost; it is a story device. If a PC wants to become attuned
to a power source after creation, the rituals involved are up to the GM,
and different for each source.

*******************************************************************
Craig Roth                  Send me an ICQ message at:
mailto:[email-masked]            http://wwp.mirabilis.com/2400598
http://www.io.com/~caroth/
*******************************************************************