Subject: Rage's Rune Rules!
From: Chad Underkoffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:37:26 -0400

Okay.  As I was preparing for this week's upcoming session, I was
looking over my notes and noticed that I had given one of my players a rune
to puzzle over.  Also, Rune Lore (MVH) is included in my "planet o' mages"
mage template.  Initially, I had wished to incorporate the Rune Magic rules
from G: Magic.  But now, after the multitudinous tweaks to the magic system
I've made, Rune Magic as it is present it the books is redundant.  However,
without retconning the universe, I need to have runes and the Rune Lore
exist, since it seems they'll be important in the coming sessions.  Thus,
<fanfare of trumpets> Rage's Rune Rules have been born.

        Some opening remarks:
        1.  I've always seen runes-- along with alchemy-- as an adjunct of
standard wizardly magic.  Sure, you can have a specialist-- Alchemist or
Runist, but a Real Wizard (tm) should be able to swing both those skills
plus spells. 
        2.  Also, in my game, I've allowed a skill bonus on spontaneous
spell-casting when the mage takes extra time.  I've decided to combine this
with runes. What better way to preserve my take on symbology, yet integrate
it neatly into the campaign?

===
        RAGE'S RUNE RULES
        * Runes are symbols/pictograms composed of many smaller elements
that aid concentration and focus.

        * When a mage takes extra time (usually 10 times casting time) to
increase his chance to cast a spell, he will concentrate on an appropriate
rune or symbol, usually by drawing or carving the rune. 
         [ Note = Optional: the GM can require actual knowledge of
individual runes as Hard manuevers off of the Rune Lore skill, using the
Futhark runes in GURPS: Magic as a guide.  Or he could do what I'm doing:
just use the Rune Lore skill.]

        * The media in which the rune appears modifies the Rune Lore roll.

        MEDIA                   MODIFIER
        Thought only            +0
        Air -drawn                      +1 / +2 Air spells only
        Water-drawn             +1 / +2 Water spells only
        Candle-drawn            +1 / +2 Fire spells only
        Impermanent             +2
        Semi-permanent          +3
        Permanent               +4

        "Air-drawn" means traced in the air with a finger or stick of
incense.
        "Water-drawn" means either traced on a surface with water OR traced
on water's surface
        "Candle-drawn" means traced on a surface or in the air with a
candle.
        "Impermanent" means traced in dust, sand, pebbles, etc.
        "Semi-permanent" means painted OR drawn with ink or chalk.
        "Permanent" means carving the rune onto a surface.

        * At this point, the mage rolls vs. Rune Lore skill.  By every
point he makes his roll by, add 1 to his spell level. Fatigue and casting
time level breaks do NOT count here; ie, if Bob rolls really well on Rune
Lore, sufficient to bring the spell level up to 15, he does not get -1
Fatigue cost (but see critical success).  For every point he fails by,
subtract one.  If he rolls a critical success, the Fatigue and casting time
reductions for high skill WILL count. If the mage critically fails, he
lacks the necessary concentration or focus to cast the spell at all.
Alternatively, the mage has misdrawn and focused on inappropriate elements
in the rune, and automagically causes a backfire when he attempts the
spell.

        * Finally, when used in enchantments, runes halve Enchantment cost.
 However, anyone with Rune Lore skill can identify all the "runed"
spells/enchantments on the item.  Furthermore, any time the runed item
takes damage, there is a chance (6- on 3d6, +1 per point of damage done), 
that the rune will be destroyed, rendering the spell/enchantment tied to it
useless.

EXAMPLES:

        Fritz wants to cast the Watchdog spell, but his spontaneous casting
level is only 7. He decides to take extra time and use his Rune Lore to
help him out. He squats down into the dust of the campsite and begins
tracing out the appropriate rune. Now, his Rune Lore skill is 10, plus 2
for an "impermanent" rune, yields 12.  After 10x casting time for Watchdog,
he makes his Rune Lore roll, coming up with a 9.  He succeeded by 3, which
adds to his Watchdog spell attempt, bringing his effective level to 10. 
Much better!