Subject: Sacrificial Magic
From: "S. John Ross" <[email-masked]>
To: "GURPSnet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 22:58:24 -0500

In response to the thread on sacrifice: Yep, I have some values for this
in my house rules. Here they are, with the parts that relate to the Black
Magic rules cleverly cut out. ;) Adapt and mutilate as desired:

--------------------------------------
Basic Sacrificial Values in ST points
--------------------------------------
Sacrifice					Potency
Small Wild Animal				5
Valuable Game (fur-bearers, etc)	10
Domestic Fowl				15
Small Domestic Animals (pets)		20
Livestock					30
Aging, Intelligent Creature		50
Adult, Intelligent Creature		80
Child, Intelligent Creature		100

	The distinction between domestic and wild is *love.* If nobody owns a
stray dog, then it's a Small Wild Animal, and worth 5. If a little boy
owns a pet mongoose, then it counts as a Small Domestic Animal. The table
is based on how *important* the life is; it is presumed that the souls of
the sacrificed are more valuable to Hell if they are valued and cared for.
In most societies, the values of sacrifices are increased by 50% for a
female victim. If the victim is of an intelligent race (male or female),
double value for virginity.
	TIME: The ceremony for the sacrifice itself may either be woven into a
spell ceremony (adding 2x Potency, in minutes, to the ceremony's
duration), or performed for it's own sake, to lower the Tally of the mages
present (who can divide it in whatever way they agree upon).
	If everybody that can be reduced to zero Tally IS, the excess energy is
lost unless used immediately in the ceremonial casting. If the sacrifice
is a stand-alone energy-grab, the energy is simply lost.

--------------------------------------
	If you don't use Umana: Ignore the bit about Tally.
--------------------------------------
	This entire letter is © 1997 S. John Ross. All rights reserved, yadda
yadda. For personal use only. I'll put it up on the Web soon, if it's
wanted. Don't swipe it; I'm poor.

��
�� S. John Ross
�� [email-masked]
�� http://www.cybercity.com/blueroom/blue.htm
��
�� "It is easier to find a score of men wise enough
��  to discover the truth than to find one intrepid
��  enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up 
��  for it."
��                                    -- A.A. Hodge
��