Subject: Re: Advanced Magery in Fantasy?
From: "Dr Kromm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:45:41 -0500

Sure -- why not. My personal "house rule" for "extended Magery" is as

Magery is treated like another attribute, using the usual cost
progression, but with a starting value of 0 instead of 10 and an
additional, flat 5-point premium for simply having the ability to
sense magic items, use "mage-only" items, etc. This 5-point ability
(called "Magery 0" or "Magical Sensitivity") can also be had on its
own. This leads to:

LEVEL               POINT COST
-----               ----------
No Magery                0
Magery 0/Magical
 Sensitivity             5
Magery 1                15
Magery 2                25
Magery 3                35
Magery 4                50
Magery 5                65
Magery 6                85
Magery 7               105
Magery 8               130 
+1 Magery              +25                 

        Higher levels can be purchased for twice the cost difference. E.g.,
going from Magery 3 to Magery 4 costs 2 x (50 - 35) = 30 points.
        Magery 4+ adds to spell levels, the roll to detect magic, Thaumatology
skill, etc., as usual. Mages with Magery 4+ *may* develop spells that
require Magery 4+ as a prerequisite, but no existing spells require it.
Most importantly, each level of Magery above Magery 3 allows a mage to
exceed the usual limits of a spell by 1 increment. A mage with Magery 7
can cast a Shield spell for 5 + (7 - 3) = PD 9, hurl a 7d Fireball,
cast a 8-point Major Healing that heals 16 hits of injury, etc., if he
pays the extra Fatigue.
        -- Kromm