Subject: Turning Undead (house rule) (LONG)
From: "Robert Herneson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 01:25:59 -0500

Hi,
   Several of you were nice enough to give me opinions and information on what
the rules approach about turning the undead.
   It is suggested that as one advantage of Clerical Investment (someplace) if
the GM so deems, but is not supported anywhere else, save for some rules on
how vampires deal with holy symbols.
   My fantasy group finally came around to playing a couple of religious
characters, other than pagan religions or demi-human ones and I figured it
would be a good thing to allow to give those character a different tint and
flavor.
   Here is what we have found to be effective.   To my knowledge, this should
fit with Undead, or other genre, if a GM wants to allow it.

	TURNING THE UNDEAD
	By Robert Herneson

	The ability to turn the undead is granted by certain Gods, usually 'good' in
nature.   It is included in the basic Clerical Investment cost (adjusted by
the GM as they see fit).
	To turn an undead (and only undead) the cleric (lay figure, or bishop, or
whatever) must have a symbol of his faith that he presents strongly while
concentrating.  Like all clerical 'spell' abilities, a round must be spent
concentrating.   The cleric then makes a "faith" roll, that being a will roll
modified by the addition of any levels of Power Investiture.
	If the cleric succeeds, all undead up to three hexes away from the front of
the cleric (where the symbol is being presented) and 60 degrees left and right
(the normal forward combat arc) must make a will roll, also modified by any
levels of Power Investiture they may have (most often found in undead priests.
i.e.; lich priests or vampire priests, usually NPCs).
	All undead that fail the roll immediately take a number of points of damage
equal to the amount that they failed and must avoid the cleric with the symbol
for a number of hours equal to the amount that they failed the roll by.
	On a critical success roll by the cleric, a contest of 'faith' rolls is made
between the cleric and the undead, and the undead that fail are immediately
destroyed.
	As always, with the ways of the Gods, additional pluses of minuses may
mysteriously appear at the Gods and GM's will.
	The Undead are not that impressed with the cleric for this effect, but rather
his faith, as demonstrated by the presentation of the symbol of his faith.
If the cleric should loose that symbol, perhaps due to combat or a not undead
accomplice grabbing it or whatever, the undead that were effected will avoid
the symbol at a range of 3 hexes, not the cleric.
	Also, the turning process takes place in the normal turn sequence, just like
any other event, such as spells.   This is usually based on speed.
	As noted above, this ability only works on UNDEAD, not spirits (including
vampires in gaseous form), demons, devils, and so on.
	***NOTES***  The use of the term faith does not suggest a new stat, just a
shorthand way to use existing stats for this effect.   Power investiture is
used because being a high-ranking cleric does not mean you necessarily have a
higher faith than a gifted novice does, for example.   Also, being Blessed may
confer additional advantages as well.

	THE EXAMPLE

	Ralph, cleric to Rizzo the Rat God, is wadding The Devilish Dunjon, leading
his party.   Who should come down the hall but a party of 4 skeletons?
	Not being surprised and as well having an amazing speed of 6.5 (which
coincidentally beats all other speeds in this example), Ralph whips out the
holy swiss wedge, symbol of his faith, concentrates, drawing deep on his faith
in Rizzo and strongly presents the cheese.
	Ralph has an IQ of 11, 1 level of strong will, and 2 levels of Power
Investiture, totaling up to a 14.   Ralph rolls a 10 and succeeds in showing
his faith in Rizzo.
	The skeletons mean while all shamble right up to in front of Ralph in a
straight line.   Skeletons, not having that much free will, and only having an
IQ of 8 and no other advantages, for the sake of our example, total an 8.
	They roll each, a 11, 6, and 17 respectfully.   The fourth skeleton is out of
range for the effect.   The first skeleton takes 3 points of damage (generally
applied, usually torso, although this gives the GM some dramatic license
rights, if they want), and turns to get out, the second is not impressed by
Ralph, Rizzo, or the cheese and shuffles past the first, who wants noting to
do with Ralph.   The third takes 9 points of damage, now considers a totally
new career and turns to call his agent and will not be heard of for 9 hours.
	The dwarf that stands next to Ralph, just for occasions like this, hammers
the resisting skeleton with his war mattock and kneecaps him like a Mafioso
enforcer.   Ralph, meanwhile, is concentrating again to try to turn the fourth
skeleton who has obligingly come into range.
	Later, Fred the vampire, having heard that his minions were being harassed,
decides to take matters into his own hands.   He vaporously floats up to
Ralph.   Ralph, having read Fred the Vampire's rap sheet, knows this is a
Fred's standard MO.   Ralph grabs the holy swiss again, concentrating, and
waits for Fred to solidify.   Ralph is not so stupid to try to turn Fred in
gaseous form because he got the hot tip not to from the rap sheets.
	Fred solidifies 1 hex in front of Ralph.   Ralph rolls, needing a 14, but
rolling a 16 instead.
	This would be a good time to get that soda, as Ralph and his party will be
busy for a few minutes.
	Later still, a not so fresh Ralph and company happens on a pack of Hell
Hounds.   Ralph whips out the holy swiss once again and immediately gets
turned into kibble because Hell Hounds aren't undead.

(The above is freely given to the world and may be used for any not for profit
basis.   Let these words find their own karma)