Subject: [[email-masked]: List of Japanese GURPS books II (long)]

From: [email-masked] (Sue and Sean)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:08:58 -0700

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:01:31 +0900
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (TT)
Subject: List of Japanese GURPS books II (long)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked] (TT)
Content-Return: prohibited

"Hey, whatever happened with that guy who was supposed to help us get
Japanese versions of GURPS books?" Boy, you'd think I worked for
government, with my pace of progress. (Hmm, actually I do, sort of. . . )
Here's an update on what's happened since I first posted a list of books:

1) At the time, a couple of list members mentioned that they'd gotten books
through the overseas branches of Japanese book chains. I asked them to send
more info for the benefit of other list members, but no info came. . .
2) The bookstore that gave me Kadokawa's catalog, on which I based the last
list, assured me that it was the latest catalog. It wasn't. My own fault,
for not checking closely. I now have the latest catalog.
3) My local game shops in Tokyo made it clear that they have no interest in
taking your orders from overseas. I called Kadokawa Shoten, and a sullen
fellow told me the same story: in effect, "we can make individual overseas
orders very difficult for you. Don't try it." I called Kinokuniya, an
international book chain, and they don't want to mess with it either.

(Really, I'd advise Kadokawa in particular to improve their customer
service. Maybe I'll complain to Mr Haruki Kadokawa himself, when he's
finished serving his time for cocaine smuggling.)

Okay, nobody over here wants your money. So once again: if anyone out there
has info on how to order from Kinikuniya etc. in the US/Europe/wherever,
please let the list know. Or do you have a local game/book shop with lots
of Japanese comics and other imports? Can they order from Kinokuniya? Give
it a try.

If none of that will work, you'll have to order from Kinokuniya in Japan,
which will require that you first send for an estimate, and then arrange an
(expensive) bank transfer of funds for payment. Or we'll have to gather up
everybody's orders, and I'll do a one-shot order. This will involve you
telling me what you want by email, me sending back the cost plus postage,
and you mailing me a check; when all the checks are in, the order gets made
to Kadokawa. (If anyone wants to order a number of books, we can work out
something more fun: Japanese GURPS books for a complete set of Chtorr
novels. . . )

So, here's the new list, with some new titles and prices. I'd like to allow
a week or more for people to look it over, and for any volunteers to step
forward with info on ordering from Kinokuniya etc. in their home lands (the
best solution).

The format is as follows:

 Japanese name (my English translation, if necessary)
 (my translation of subtitle listed in the catalog, if any)
 price, code #s (there are two for each book)
 loose translation of the catalog blurb
 (Note: my notes if any)

Sometimes titles and subtitles are a bit helter-skelter in the catalogs; I
did my best to straighten them out.

I believe every book title has its own English translation, but these are
not in the catalog and I don't have access to them. They may differ greatly
from my direct translations of titles; don't try ordering using my English
translation alone! I don't own any of these books, I've just browsed a few
at a store. I believe there's another person on this list who can answer
questions about content. . . Incidentally, yes, they are *all* in Japanese.

All of the books are a nifty "bunko-bon" pocket size, slightly bigger than
a 4"x6" index card. And cheap, too. . . but on the down side, there is very
little attention to layout/graphic design, and very little art. Some art,
and a few books have some nifty monster pics and even a few color plates,
but overall there's not room for a lot of art.

***************************************

GURPS Basic
(Generic RPG rules)
=A5800, S-880-1, 461401-6
=46antasy, SF, horror, imaginary history. . . whatever the genre, a
revolutionary set of rules for playing using one system is born: the
generic RPG 'GURPS'! A must-have for RPG fans around the world!

***************************************

GURPS Magic
(Generic RPG spell guide)
=A5720, S-880-2, 461402-4
The second supplement for the generic RPG system 'GURPS' that excited fans
all around the world! With just this, you can use magic in your favorite
world! The ultimate supplement, with over 400 spells!

***************************************

GURPS Martial Arts
(Generic RPG martial arts rules)
=A5680, S-880-4, 461404-0
Make the toughest character ever to walk the earth! You become a martial
artist, tune your body to the peak of perfection, and take on even stronger
opponents. Enjoy more real fights with weapon stats and additional rules.

***************************************

GURPS Psionics
(Generic RPG Psionic rules)
=A5760, S-880-5, 488005-0
Telepathy, psychokinesis, teleportation. . . these powers become yours in
the game world! A new "table-talk" RPG with a scientific and futuristic
flavor. Awaken, psi warriors!

***************************************

Bushin Kourin ("Advent of the War God")
(GURPS Martial Arts Adventure)
=A5680, G-886-1, 488601-6
"Bushin", God of War, the highest degree sought by martial artists
everywhere! Revealed: how to hold the Bushin Kourin contest to decide that
title! Contains official rules and three scenarios.

***************************************

GURPS ga yoku wakaru hon ("Book to Understand GURPS")
=A5560, S-880-3, 461403-2
=46or those of you saying 'what's GURPS?' or 'those combat rules are too
hard!', read this book and understand! The ultimate practical guide for
making GURPS your own!

***************************************

GURPS Cocoon
(Comedy Fantasy RPG)
=A5800, S-883-3, 488303-3
The popular "Cocoon World" novels are now a "table-talk" RPG! The setting
is the mysterious underground world of Kluo (sp?). Full of strange powers,
wierd characteristics and funny rules! A hilarious RPG of gags and comedy.

***************************************

GURPS Runal
(World Guide for the World of Seven Moons)
=A5800, S-881-1, 461420-2
Explains the background of the "Runal Saga" novel(s). A must-have item for
playing fantasy RPG with the GURPS system! The first Japanese GURPS
supplement!

***************************************

Kimen Toshi no Bouken ("Adventure in the Demon Mask City")
(Gurps Runal Adventure)
=A5600, S-881-2, 461421-0
The long-awaited first scenario for GURPS Runal! Explore and solve the
happenings in the Deman Mask City Badokka (sp?), one of the four mysterious
great cities of a fantasy world of swords, sorcery and seven moons.

***************************************

Runal Saga Replay
(Part 1 "The Four Sisters", Books 1 and 2)
=A5680 (Book One) and =A5640 (Book Two), S-881-3, 461422-9
Andy and Effie (sp?) search for the ruin of their father, "the blue-clawed
woman" (pos. "the woman with blue fingernails"), and are framed for murder.
Discover the identity of the four sisters!
(Note: "Replay" books are, AFAIK, book-long recordings of gameplay, in the
form of dialogue among GM and players.)

***************************************

Runal Saga Replay
(Part 2 "The Silver Darkness", Books 1 and 2)
=A5680 (Book One) and =A5720 (Book Two), S-881-6, 461428-8
(Note: more characters and stories from Runal games)

***************************************

GURPS Runal Monsters
(Monsters of the World of Seven Moons)
=A5680, S-881-5, 461424-5
The most powerful monsters of the Runal world, "demons" hidden behind the
veil of fear and secrecy. Along with stats, introduces many original
monsters with lots of illustrations. Makes GURPS more fun!

***************************************

GURPS Runal Companions
(Inhabitants of the World of Seven Moons)
=A5680, S-881-8, 461430-X
You're the one who creates the new Runal tales of adventure! With GURPS
Basic and this one volume, you can adventure in the Runal Saga world!
Adventure with the characters from the novels and Replay books!

***************************************

Tsuki wo Ou Monotachi ("Those Who Chase the Moon")
(GURPS Runal Adventure)
=A5760, G-881-9, 461433-4
(Note: adventure with several Runal characters in the "Demon Mask City".
Apparently a new release.)

***************************************

GURPS Youma Yakou ("Gurps Ghosts Nocturnal" or pos. "Ghost Night Express")
(Supernatural Action RPG)
=A5760, S-882-1, 461425-3
The greatest metropolis of the Orient, Tokyo, and the ghosts that make
their lairs in the darkness there. . . raven tengu, dragons, shpeshifting
tanuki and other powerful monsters make their appearance. Enjoy powerful
battles with all sorts of supernatural powers, utilizing GURPS' character
creation to the fullest!
(Note: the PCs are monsters in this game. The "official" English title for
"Youma Yakou" is "Damned Stalkers".)

***************************************

Youkai Himon* ("Ghost Secrets"*)
(GURPS Youma Yakou Replay)
=A5600, S-882-3, 461427-X
A girl in sailor (school) uniform throws herself off a building. Yet, she
doesn't look to be in her teens. . . Why, when she's a high school student?
Solve the mystery that envelops the monsters! A full lineup of three replay
stories, a play guide, and character sheets.
(*Note: This word "himon" may be invented, and is not in any of my
dictionaries, so I'm guessing at pronounciation; the two characters mean
"secret" and "hear". "Eavesdroppings", maybe?)

***************************************

Youma-Sou no kai-jiken ("Weird Happening in the Ghost Apartment")
(GURPS Youma Yakou Adventures)
=A5640, S-882-4, 461431-8
The first collection of scenarios for the horror game Youma Yakou! What of
the incidents occuring in the apartments where the monsters live? Three
scenarios, a useful collection of rules, sample characters. . . let the
play begin!

***************************************

GURPS Youma Yakou Youkai Denki ("GURPS Youma Yakou Ghost Romance")
=A5680, S-882-2, 461426-1
In the darkness of the metropolis, the monsters' fierce battles begin! The
first supplement for the supernatural action RPG, "Youma Yakou". Over 30
player character monsters, character sheets etc.

***************************************

Yami Kikou ("Travels in Darkness")
(GURPS Youma Yakou data collection)
=A5600, S-882-5, 461432-6
The monsters who gather in "The Pirate's Honor" in Akihabara Tokyo, the
meeting and networking place for spirits. The newest way to play "Youma
Yakou"! Full of readers' monster designs!

***************************************

GURPS Ring Dreams
(Female Pro-wrestling Ultimate Legend)
=A5800, S-884-1, 488401-3
Beautiful battles of fiery girls on the four-cornered battlefield! The
GURPS RPG of female pro wrestling! Whom will the goddess of victory smile
upon? Reach for the top of the shining ring!

***************************************