Subject: Bio-Kinesis
From: Dennis C Hwang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:10:08 -0800 (PST)

Greetings--

Regarding the recent interest in a psionic power of "Bio-Kinesis", I 
thought I'd take a moment to post my quick, alpha-test conversion of the 
Self-Awareness discipline from the late lamented FGU game _Psi World_ 
(does *anyone* here remember that one?), as well as additional thoughts 
as to how I might handle such a power in a Psionics campaign.  Comments, 
suggestions, and criticism from all interested parties (especially Dr. 
Kromm and David Pulver, naturally) are welcome, especially with regards 
to play balance!

SELF-AWARENESS (4 points per level)

Self-Awareness represents a psionic attunement to the psi's own bodily 
processes and functions, ranging from intuitive biofeedback techniques of 
pain resistance and voluntary catecholamine release to actual 
physiological changes induced by the power of the character's own 
mind-body harmony.  This is in many ways related to the psionic Healing 
power, except that the character may not affect anyone other than him- or 
herself.  Alternatively, some of these effects, when applied to others, 
might be appropriate as additional Healing skills.

> HEIGHTENED STRENGTH *3
Tales of mothers lifting cars off their injured children are legion.  
This skill allows the user to increase his or her ST (but not Fatigue) by 
20% per two full levels of power.  This exertion costs 1 fatigue per turn 
unless a critical success is rolled.  A critical failure costs the user 
1d fatigue, as well as 1 point of damage if any ST feats beyond normal 
capability were performed (e.g. lifting).

> HEIGHTENED REFLEXES *3
This skill grants benefits according to the user's power level, according 
to the following table, at the cost of 1 fatigue per turn unless a 
critical success is rolled.

     Power     Effect
     1         +1 to any Fast-Draw
     2         +1 to initiative to avoid surprise
     3         +1 vs. fright checks
     4         +1 to any Active Defense
     5         +1 to Basic Speed

Additional benefits are accrued in the same intervals, i.e. Heightened 
Reflexes at Power 6 gives a +2 to any Fast-Draw, +1 to all other effects; 
Power 7 gives a +2 to Fast-Draw and initiative, etc.

> HEAL SELF
This skill is identical to the Healing skill of the same name, except 
that it can only be used on the psi him/herself.

> CHANGE APPEARANCE          (Prerequisite:  Power 5)
This skill allows the psi to alter the details of his/her appearance.  
The psi may change pigmentation, skin and hair texture, distribution of 
fatty tissues, and similar characteristics.  The change requires 10 
seconds, during which the psi can do nothing else, and costs 1 fatigue 
unless a critical success is rolled.  A Disguise roll is required to 
match a specific appearance.  Clothing may not be altered, nor may 
height, weight, or bone structure be changed.

> METABOLISM CONTROL *1
This skill is identical to the Healing skill of the same name, and is a 
prerequisite for many of the other Self-Awareness skills.

> HIGH SPEED                 (Prerequisite:  Power 5, Heightened Reflexes 12+)
For every five full levels of power, the psi may add an additional 
increment to his or her move per turn equal to the character's basic move 
score when traveling in a relatively straight line.  Thus, a character 
with power 10 and Move 6 may travel 6 + (2 x 6) or 18 yards per second.  
The cost is 1 fatigue per turn unless a critical success is rolled.  A 
critical failure costs 1d fatigue.

> FORCED MARCH               (Prerequisite:  Metabolism Control 10+)
With the successful use of this skill, the psi may increase the amount of 
distance he or she may travel in a day.  For every two levels of power, 
the psi may ignore one level of encumbrance when determining the distance 
the character may travel in a day; if the psi has No Encumbrance, he or 
she may travel an additional 20 miles per day.  The use of this skill 
costs 1 fatigue per day, but normal fatigue costs for marching are halved.

> GO WITHOUT FOOD AND WATER  (Prerequisite:  Metabolism Control 14+)
Successful use of this skill allows the character to ignore the need for 
food and water for up to 1 day per three levels of power.  This skill 
costs 1 fatigue per day, but the psi does not suffer any other ill 
effects of malnutrition or dehydration.  Attempts to extend the duration 
of the fast past the limit allowed by the psi's power will subject the 
character to double the usual effects per day past the limit.

> GO WITHOUT SLEEP           (Prerequisite:  Metabolism Control 12+)
This skill allows the psi to reduce his or her daily sleep requirement by 
one hour per day per level of power.  During the time this skill is in 
effect, the character will lose 1 fatigue per day, but will not otherwise 
suffer any effects of loss of sleep.

> RESIST HEAT OR COLD *1
The psi may ignore extremes of heat or cold by the successful use of this 
skill.  A normal human has a comfort zone of 35 to 90 degrees F; the psi 
may expand this zone by HT degrees per level of power.  Successful use of 
this skill also provides a bonus to the Fire Walking skill equal to 1/3 
of the psi's power.

> RESIST PAIN *3
Successful use of this skill keeps the psi from being shocked or stunned 
after being injured.  In addition, the psi gains a +1 per three full 
levels of power to resist torture or add to Will rolls to ignore pain in 
other situations.

> LIFE EXTENSION             (Prerequisite:  Metabolism Control 15+)
This skill is identical to the Healing skill of the same name.

> ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
A Self-Aware character may add 1/3 of his power to the Breath Control and 
Body Sense skills, and may be allowed to learn the Autohypnosis, 
Dreaming, and Fire Walking skills.  In addition, Self-Aware characters 
who have studied a martial arts style with an established body of 
cinematic skills may, at the GM's option, be allowed to learn some or all 
of these skills without the benefit of the Trained By A Master advantage. 
 Cinematic martial arts skills especially appropriate for a Self-Aware 
psionic include Body Control (although its effects are largely subsumed 
by Metabolism Control), Flying Leap, Immovable Stance, Light Walk, 
Meditation, Mental Strength, Mountain Heart, Nei Tan, and Power Blow; 
others may be learned at the GM's option.

NOTE:  You may have noticed that all of the psionic Healing skills have 
been incorporated into the Self-Awareness repertoire.  But don't despair, 
Healers--up next (if anyone's interested, of course):  an expanded list of
Healer-only skills. Further installments will provide a few additions to
the Astral Projection, Antipsi, and Electrokinesis powers.

Thanks for reading!

- --Dennis
*************************************************************
*   [email-masked]   *   xenopathologist at large!   *
*************************************************************
*  Hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons &   *
*  Dragons and not learn a little something about courage.  *
*                                                           *
*                        --"Blaine Faulkner"                *
*                          "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"  *
*************************************************************