Subject: Flow Chart

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 21:41:21 -0700 (MST)

Please read and comment!

Added Surprise and Freeze and some minor things ...

Anyone ideas for a different layout?

---
                           (Version 0.3)
                          Thu May 30 1996

                          -Turn Sequence-

      Staying with the most realistic and enhanced rules or options,
                   but without any house-rules.

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

A), B), C), ...   are the different steps in the flow

o                 are possible things

a), b), c), ...   are possible alternatives

A) Possible Situations at Begin of an Encounter or New Situation

   o  Handle Surprise

      a) Total Surprise

         Defenders are totally surprised ...

         Roll 1d to determine the number of Turns, the surprised side will
         freeze (mentally stunned)! 

         -  Anyone with Combat Reflexes will not freeze!

         -  Adventureres, Guards and the like, will not freeze too, unless
            asleep!

         After the initial Freeze ends, each N/PC may try to end this state
         at the begin of every turn with a roll against IQ, at +6 with Combat
         Reflexes from the first turn on (as they do not freeze)!

      b) Partial Surprise

         Defenders excepted trouble, or both sides surprised each other ...

         Each Leader rolls 1d for Initiative:

         -  Each side with Combat Reflexes has get +1, if the Leader has
            Combat Reflexes this is at +2 instead.

         -  The Leader with the higher IQ gets an additional +1.

         -  A side without a Leader is at -2 instead.

         -  Tactics skill gives +1 too, +2 if at level 20+

         -  The GM may give additional boni or penalities for increased
            alertness or similar things.

         The side with the highest roll will get the initiative and can move
         and act normally. On a tie, nobody is surprised.

         Members of the loosing side are mentally stunned and have to roll
         against IQ each turn, to end this state.
         They are at at +1 to this roll on the second turn, +2 on the third
         turn, on so on ... 

   o  Handle Fright Checks

      Each N/PC with Combat Reflexes gets a +2 bonus to Fright Checks.
      Meeting the object of a Phobia may result in a Fright Check, at -4 for
      a severe Phobia.

      Any unusual horrifying and terrifying event, that may mentally stun or
      even permanently scar the victim, will require a Fright Check - see
      Basic, p.93

      Esp. violent, gruesome or terrifying events, maybe involving friends or
      loved ones, will require a penality from -1 to -6.

      Great distance or beeing already warned may give a bonus of +1 to +3,
      while Fright Checks in the heat of battle are at +5.

      Roll with 3d against the table on Basic, p.94 to determine the effects.

   o  Determine Initiative Sequence

      Start with the highest Move;

      If some are equal, same Move is resolved through highest Basic Speed;

      If some are still equal, same Move and same Basic Speed is resolved
      through a dice roll.

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

B) Possible Checks at Begin of a Turn

   o  Handle Mental Stun

      Roll against IQ to end this condition:

      If stunned from a Partial Surprise, this roll is at +1 on the second
      turn, +2 on the third, and so on ...

      Combat Reflexes give +6 to IQ roll to wake up or to recover from
      Surprise or a Mental Stun.

   o  Handle Physical Stun

      Roll against HT to end this condition.

   o  Handle Unconciousness

      If at or below 0 Hitpoints, roll against (HT +/- Strong/Weak Will) to
      avoid falling unconcious.

   o  Resolve Psi Skills

      Roll against effective Psi Skill level to determine success in a Psi
      Power.

      a) Combat Sense:
         Not usefull against an ambush, unless warned via Danger Sense

         Roll against Combat Sense to get +1 to all effective Melee Combat
         Skills this turn, for every full 10 Level of ESP Power, as well a +1
         to the first Dodge this turn.

// Remaining questions:
// Only *one* +1 to Dodge, not for every 10 Levels of ESP, yes?
// The +1 to Dodge *only* against Melee Attacks, or every kind of
   attack, yes?

         On a Critical Failure, you are at -1 to all Melee attacks and
         defenses .
// Remaining question:
// Again, only against Melee attacks, yes?

   o  Resolve Magic Spells

      Roll against effective Spell level to determine success in a magical
      Spell.

   o  Resolve Other Skills

      a) Body Language

         GM rolls against Body Language (or Psychology - 3 or Detect Lies -
         3), modified by all Vision modifiers, after the N/PC choosed an
         opponent to concentrate on - he has to be able to see this
         opponent. Substract the higher PD from the choosen opponents Shield
         or Cloak from the skill level as well. 

         On a successfull roll, he informs the N/PC about the standard
         Maneuver, the choosen opponent intends, as soon as the opponents
         starts with this intended Maneuver.

         The N/PC gets a +1 to all Active Defenses and Close Combat rolls
         against the choosen opponent on this turn.

         If the roll is made by 3 or more, the GM informs the N/PC about the
         exact Martial Arts Maneuver, the choosen opponent intends, and the
         N/PC gets a +2 to all Active Defenses and Close Combat rolls against
         the choosen opponent on this turn; the choosen opponents Feint
         against the N/PC will fail automatically.

         On a Critical Success (roll of 3, 4, BL15:5, BL16+:6), the N/PC
         automatically succeedes in defending against any and all attacks of
         the choosen opponent on this turn; the choosen opponents Feint
         against the N/PC will fail automatically. 

         On a Critical Failure (roll of 18, BL<=15:17, BL6:16, BL5:15, BL3:14,
         BL3:13), the GM lies to the N/PC, who defends at -3 against any and
         all attacks of the choosen opponent on this turn.

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

C) Maneuvering

   Choose a possible standard Maneuver:

   a) Change Position

   b) Aim

   c) Step and Ready

   d) Step and Attack
      May enter Close Combat, or Evade it.

   e) All-Out Attack
      May enter Close Combat, or Evade it.

   f) Step and Feint

   g) Step and Concentrate

   h) Step and Wait

   i) All-Out Defense

   j) Long Action

   k) Move
      May enter Close Combat with a Slam, or Evade it.

   each with or without any possible Free Actions:

   o  Talk
      One sentence per turn.

   o  Maintain Spells
      If not injured or unconcious, see Basic, p.

   o  Drop an item
      Any "ready" item, in every moved through or adjacent Hex.

   o  Crouch
      At begin of turn, Movement-Cost at +50%, stand up again at any time.

   o  or whatever ...

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

D) Handle Attack

   Attacker rolls against Weapon- or other Combat-Skill (Level 3+):

   Apply all possible modifiers from Hit Location, Type of Attack (like
   All-Out Attack), Range and Size, ...

   a) Generic Attack
// Need this be listed? Or simply Hit Location Torso?

   b) Hit Location

   c) Wild Swing

   Results
   a) Critical Hit (roll of 3, 4, WS15:5, WS16+:6; cinemat. upto 7,8,9 or 10)
      Go to Step F (Handle Damage)

   b) Hit
      Go to Step E (Handle Defense)

   c) Miss
      Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ..., Step B

   d) Critical Miss (roll of 18, WS<=15:17, WS6:16, WS5:15, WS3:14, WS3:13)
      Go to Critical Miss table, Basic, p.
      Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ..., Step B

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

E) Handle Defense

// This will be re-constructed!

   o  PD only

      Roll against Passive Defense only, if no Active Defense is possible,
      applicable or wanted:

      PD from Hit Location and maybe Magic ...

      No possible Critical Result!

   o  Block

   o  Parry

   o  Dodge

   Defender rolls against PD of Hit Location (+ Magic PD) only (with no
   possible Critical result) or against PD of Hit Location (+ Magic PD) +
   Parry, Block or Dodge and Boni due to Combat Reflexes (+1), his Active
   Defense.  

   A Retreat, stepping back from an opponent 1 hex (only once per turn), can
   add +3 to any Active Defense against this opponent only.

   Roll against Acrobatics to to get an additional +1 to one Dodge this turn,
   Failure on this roll gives -2 to the Dodge.

   Combat Reflexes give +1 to any and all Active Defenses.

   Combat Sense may have given a bonus, too - see Step C

   Active Defense may be reduced due to a lost Feint at the last turn, or a
   combined Feint-Attack All-Out Attack at this turn

   a) Critical Success (roll of 3, 4, AD15:5, AD16+:6; cinemat. upto 7,8,9 or 10)
      Attacker has to go to the Critical Miss table, Basic, p.
      Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ...

   b) Success
      Defended successfully ...
      Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ...

     c) Failure
      Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ...

   d) Critical Failure (roll of 18, AD<=15:17, AD6:16, AD5:15, AD4:14, AD3:13)

      Dodge: Fall down, 2 turns to stand up again (kneeling, standing) ...

      Block: Loose grip on Shield, 1 turn to re-ready it ... PD still works!

      Parry: Go to Critical Miss table, Basic, p.

      Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ...

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

F) Handle Damage

   o  Kinds of Hits

      a) Critical Hit:

         Go to appropiate Critical Hit table, Basic, p.
         Continue with next Action in Initiative Sequence ..., Step B

      b) Normal Hit:

         Resolve damage against DR, Toughness, Magic and HP ...

   o  Direct Injury Effects

      -  If at 3 or less Hitpoints, Move and Dodge are at halve the normal levels.

      -  If just reached -(HT + x*5) Hitpoints, for x >= 0, roll against HT to
         avoid death for every newly reached boundary above. 

      -  If at or below -5*HT Hitpoits, you die!

      -  If at or below -10*HT Hitpoits, your dead body may even be beyond
         resurrection - depending on type of damage. 

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

G) Handle Injuries

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
-- 
Thomas (tgm) Ackermann                    | G i b   GATES | DOS* |Great minds
tja     ;-)  Tel. 0228/73-7773 | 631369   | k  e  i  n  e | WIN* |discuss ideas
(e-mail: [email-masked])       | C h a n c e ! | WIN95|--------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------|Average minds
mail a sole "help" and/or "add discuss-l" line (in mail-body) to |discuss events
[email-masked] to be added to a list were you can     |--------------
talk about non-GURPS related things with people from GURPSnet-L  |Small minds
-----------------------------------------------------------------|discuss people