Subject: Re: Initiative
From: Dr Kromm <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 1997 17:34:04 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.gurps

I've noticed some distinct confusion about what "initiative" means in
GURPS. Here's the scoop:

"Initiative" is the advantage possessed by the *side* which gets first 
strike at the start of a small-unit engagement (pp. B122-123). An 
"initiative roll" determines which force gets the jump on the other, 
gaining a few "free" actions, and has nothing to do with the order in 
which characters act during an engagement in progress. This latter issue 
is one of "sequence" (p. B95), which determines the order in which 
characters on the side with initiative will take their free actions and, 
once surprise wears off, the order in which *all* characters on both 
sides will act.

The initiative system is a "war game-like" rule that is intended to
cover situations where one force outfoxes the other, gets the jump and
inflicts casualties freely; "a running man can slit a thousand throats"
or however it goes. The sequence system is intended to cover pitched,
stand-up fights where both sides know there's going to be a battle and
close on one another in plain sight. A sequenced battle generally
follows surprise if the side with initiative does not overcome its foes
right away.

Combat Reflexes and Tactics skill help determine initiative because
tactical surprise is an issue of troop quality (Combat Reflexes or
not) and planning (Tactics skill), and applies to an entire force in
combat. Move and Basic Speed help determine sequence because speed
equals shock and flexibility in a fight in progress.

Kromm.