Subject: Terradyne Ships
From: "Onno Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 08:49:02 +0200 (MET DST)

This file contains adaptions of the spacecraft from GURPS Terradyne under
the GURPS Vehicles rules, second edition. The copyright of the original
vehicles was reserved by Steve Jackson Games. I permit all non-commercial
electronic distribution of _my_ work. 

To adapt the Terradyne craft, I had to write house rules for some engines
and adapt some weapons from GURPS Space: 

TL9 Artemis Engine (v1.0, OM 1/98)
    GURPS Terradyne introduced an early TL 9 fusion rocket. Since the
    fusion reaction takes place in a magnetic bottle behind the ship,
    it is highly maneuverable, but gamma radiation directed away from
    the engine makes separate docking thrusters a good idea. The game
    mechanics of the Artemis Engine seem to match those of a Vehicles
    TL 8 fission rocket, except for the special effects listed above.
    The engine is not considered to be automatically vectored (VE41).
    TL  Type            Weight                 Fuel Usage  Power
    9   Artemis Engine  0.15 * thrust + 1,000  0.1 W       0
    Cost is weight * $50, all other stats are as per VE36.

TL9 Improved Chemical Rockets (v1.0, OM 1/98)
    GURPS Terradyne introduced two improved rocket fuels (on TE92).
    This is an adaption under the Vehicles rules. Note that the fuel
    labeled 'SAH' doesn't match the 'suspended atomic hydrogen' from
    the file by MA Lloyd.
    TL  Type          Weight         Fuel Usage  Power
    9   SAH Rocket    0.01 * thrust  0.91 SAH    0
    9   RF-12 Rocket  0.01 * thrust  0.85 RF-12  0
    All other stats match those of other liquid fuel rockets (VE36).
    Fuel   Weight  Cost  Fire
    SAH    10      $1    13
    RF-12  10      $1.5  13

TL8 Light Space Combat Laser (v1.0, OM, 1/98)
    This laser is a rough approximation of the weapon found in GURPS
    Space. Game mechanics: 25,200 kJ, extreme-range, UV laser.
    Light Space Combat Laser   2,800 lbs.   56 cf   $150,000
    Malf Type Damage SS Acc 1/2D   Max.    RoF Power
    Ver  Imp  6d*13  30 28  43 mi. 130 mi. 1/2 25,200 kW

TL8 Medium Space Combat Laser (v1.0, OM, 1/98)
    This laser is a rough approximation of the weapon found in GURPS
    Space. Game mechanics: 45,600 kJ, extreme-range, UV laser.
    Medium Space Combat Laser   7,600 lbs.   152 cf   $390,000
    Malf Type Damage SS Acc 1/2D   Max.    RoF Power
    Ver  Imp  6d*18  30 29  58 mi. 175 mi. 1   91,200 kW

Heavy Space Combat Missile v1.0 (TL 8)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        Smart missiles are vital space-to-space weapons. Homing sensors allow
    them to make final attack maneuvers after a long flight, beyond effective
    sensor range from their mothership. The guidance package allows a missile
    to double as recon drone before it makes the attack run. Of course there
    are drawbacks as well, like the limited delta-V and the slow flight speed
    of any projectile compared with a laser beam.
        Standard models are the Heavy Explosive Missile with a HE warhead and
    the Heavy Atomic Missile with a ten kt nuclear warhead (it costs $42,160
    more). There may be political reasons to refrain from using the much more
    effective Atomic Missile.
        This design is an adaption of the TL 8 Heavy Missiles (S86) under the
    the Vehicles rules [Vehicles second edition, Nov. 97 errata].
    
    Propulsion:  Two-ton vectored liquid fuel rocket (HP 7, burns 4,400 gph).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Long-range radio with scrambler (1,000 miles,
        HP 2), air-search radar (F, 30 miles, scan 20, HP 7), thermograph (F,
        30 miles, scan 20, HP 7), IFF (HP 1), INS (HP 4), compact, hardened,
        neural-net, robotic small computer (C2, IQ 6, DX 9, HP 1), compact,
        hardened, neural-net small computer (C2, IQ 6, HP 1). Software:
        Database (13.535 GB astrogation files and codes), datalink, piloting
        (high performance spacecraft)-8 [1], electronics operation (sensors)-7
        [1].
    Miscellaneous:  Self-destruct (125mm huge HE, 6d*244[10d], HP 3).
    Energy Bank:  6,500 kWs advanced battery (HP 2), powers the radar for 10
        minutes and all other systems for 14 hours.
    Fuel:  165 gallon ultralight, self-sealing tank (HP 50, fire -1). 165
        gallons of rocket fuel (fire on 12) last for 135 seconds full thrust.
    Space:  0.38 cf empty space. Volume:  30 cf. Area:  60 sf.
    Structure:  Light, very expensive frame. Hit Points:  45.
    Armor:  PD 3, DR 5 advanced composite armor. Surface Feature:  Seal.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 350 lbs., fuel 1,650 lbs., loaded weight 1 ton,
        volume 30 cf, size modifier +1, Cost $250,000, HT 10.
    Space Performance:  sAccel 2 G to 11.4 G, sMR 2 to 11.5, delta-V 5,596 m/s.

And now the Terradyne craft in their order of appearance:

Terradyne LEO Shuttle v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    LEO Shuttle lifts cargo and people into orbit, where it docks to an OTV or
    port station.
        What is commonly labeled the LEO Shuttle is actually a whole family of
    vehicles, all of them improved over the original 2075 designs. The Booster
    stage is an aircraft with sixteen rocket engines and over 90 percent fuel.
    It helps to launch an Orbiter, from the Orbiter-P with 120 passenger seats
    to the Orbiter-C with three 50-ton cargo modules, or an Interplanetary
    Courier.
        The LEO Shuttle write-up from TE93 seems a bit fishy. Because of that,
    this is a very rough approximation using the Vehicles rules [Vehicles 2nd
    edition, Nov. 97 errata sheet] with late TL 8 and selected TL 9 components,
    the new engine defined above and the multi-stage rules from Pyramid 22.

    BOOSTER:
    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with excellent streamlining,
        16 small, retractable wheels.
    Propulsion:  16 400-ton RF-12 Rockets (HP 200, burn 680,000 gph each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Four scrambled long-range radios (1,000
        miles, HP 2), six LLTVs (all faces, x5, +2/+4, HP 1), two flight data
        recorders (HP 4), four transponders (HP 1), two INS (HP 4), advanced
        radar/laser detector (HP 3), three hardened microframes (C4, HP 40).
        Software: Database (79.8 GB maps), datalink, routine vehicle operation
        (C4 piloting (aerospace), skill 14).
    Miscellaneous Component:  Vehicular parachute (80 tons, HP 100).
    Energy Bank:  Three 180 MWs rechargeable power cells (HP 2), power all
        systems.
    Fuel:  Eight 42,500-gallon ultra-light, self-sealing tanks (HP 2,500, fire
        -1). 340,000 gallons RF-12 (fire on 12) power booster and main orbiter
        rockets for 80 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  336 cf maintenance access.
    Volume:  Body 78,367.5 cf, wheels 3,918.375 cf. Area:  Body 12,000 sf,
        wheels 2,000 sf, total area 14,000 sf.
    Structure:  TL 9 extra-heavy frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 72,000, wheels 1,500 each.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 60 TL 9 advanced composite armor. Surface Feature:  Seal.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 150 tons, fuel 1,700 tons, Orbiter 1,150 tons,
        takeoff weight 3,000 tons, volume 78,367.5 cf, size modifier +8, Cost
        $44,800,000, HT 7 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance (Booster with thrusting Orbiter): sAccel 3 G to 6.92 G,
        sMR 3 to 7, delta-V 3,474 m/s.
    Air Performance (Booster with empty tanks under Earth conditions): Stall
        speed 200 mph, thrust 0, drag 600, top speed 0, aAccel 0, aMR 0.125,
        aSR 5, aDecel 0.5 mph/s.
    Ground Performance (Booster with empty tanks): Top speed 0, gAccel 0,
        gDecel 10 mph/s (20 mph/s with chute), gMR 0.125, gSR 4, high GP.

    ORBITER-C:
    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with excellent streamlining,
        ten small, retractable wheels.
    Propulsion:  Five 520-ton RF-12 Rockets (HP 250, burn 884,000 gph each) and
        five vectored 2.5-ton RF-12 Rockets (HP 8, burn 4,250 gph each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled very-long-range radios (10,000
        miles, HP 10), scrambled very-long-range tight-beam radio (100,000 mi.,
        HP 30), six LLTVs (all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), radar (F, 500 mi.,
        scan 27, HP 50), two flight data recorders (HP 4), two sets of
        precision navigation instruments (HP 4), four transponders (HP 1), four
        INS (HP 4), four GPS (HP 1), two laser rangefinders (F, 10 mi., HP 2),
        two advanced radar/laser detectors (HP 3), three hardened microframes
        (C4, HP 40) and three terminals (HP 10). Software: Damage control,
        database (33.925 GB astrogation files), datalink, two routine vehicle
        operation (C4 piloting (aerospace) and piloting (high-performance
        spacecraft), skill 14).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (3 units, HP 6),
        crane (12 tons, HP 250), four-person airlock (HP 250), three vehicle
        bays (4,800 cf of subcraft each, HP 2,000).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls and "Systems Operator" with terminal in roomy crewstations.
    Occupancy:  Short. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crewstations as above.
        Environmental System:  3 x 96h limited lifesystem (HP 75).
    Energy Bank:  7.2 GWs rechargeable power cells (HP 24). Power all ystems
        for 14.4 hours.
    Fuel:  Two 90,000 gallon ultra-light tanks (HP 4,000). 180,000 gallons RF-
        12 (fire on 13) last for 146 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  1,047.5 cf engine access, 696.12 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 66,757.5 cf, wheels 3,337.875 cf. Area:  Body 10,000 sf,
        wheels 1,500 sf, total area 11,500 sf.
    Structure:  TL 9 expensive frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 15,000, wheels 450 each.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 100 TL 9 advanced composite armor.
    Surface Features:  Seal, solar cells (two retractable, super-light panels,
        25,000 sf each, nominal output 2 MW, HP 500 each).
    Statistics:  Empty weight 100 tons, fuel 900 tons, payload/crew 150 tons,
        loaded weight 1,150 tons, volume 66,757.5 cf, size modifier +8, Cost
        $21,600,000, HT 6 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance (Orbiter without Booster): sAccel 2 G to 10.4 G, sMR 2 to
        10.5, delta-V 6,340 m/s.
    Air Performance (Orbiter with empty tanks under Earth conditions): Stall
        speed 400 mph, thrust 0, drag 500, top speed 0, aAccel 0, aMR 0.25, aSR
        5, aDecel 1 mph/s.
    Ground Performance (Orbiter with empty tanks): Top speed 0, gAccel 0,
        gDecel 10 mph/s, gMR 0.25, gSR 4, extremely high GP.

Terradyne Interplanetary Courier v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Interplanetary Courier is an exception to this rule, a ship that can reach
    Mars or Venus orbits from a surface launch on Earth.
        The second user of the Courier is the UPOE, which has purchased three
    of them to transport diplomats.
        The Interplanetary Courier is a highly modified LEO Shuttle system. A
    standard Booster section launches an enlarged shuttle hull that mounts an
    ion drive in addition to the rocket engines. A 160 MW fusion power plant is
    placed in place of the former payload bay, and quarters are substantially
    enlarged for the longer flight duration. Still, the Courier is spartan.
        This spacecraft is an adaption of the Interplanetary Courier from TE93
    based on my LEO Shuttle adaption the same way the original Courier is based
    on the Shuttle from TL93, using the Vehicles rules [Vehicles 2nd edition,
    Nov. 97 errata sheet] with TL 8 and selected TL 9 components, the engine
    defined above and the multi-stage rules from Pyramid 22.

    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with excellent streamlining,
        ten small, retractable wheels.
    Propulsion:  240-pound ion drive (HP 600, uses 0.408 gph cadmium), five
        520-ton RF-12 Rockets (HP 250, burn 884,000 gph RF-12 each) and five
        vectored 2.5-ton RF-12 Rockets (HP 8, burn 4,250 gph RF-12 each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled extreme-range radios (100,000
        miles, HP 50), scrambled extreme-range tight-beam radio (1,000,000 mi.,
        HP 150), six LLTVs (all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), LLTV (F, x1,000,
        +9/+18, HP 30, stabilized for astronomy), radar (F, 500 mi., scan 27,
        HP 50), two flight data recorders (HP 4), two sets of precision
        navigation instruments (HP 4), four transponders (HP 1), four INS (HP
        4), four GPS (HP 1), laser rangefinder (F, 10 mi., HP 2), four advanced
        radar/laser detectors (HP 3), three hardened microframes (C4, HP 40)
        and ten terminals (HP 10). Software: Damage control, database (17.475
        GB astrogation files), datalink, two routine vehicle operation (C4
        piloting (aerospace) and piloting (high-performance spacecraft), skill
        14).
    Miscellaneous:  Four-person airlock (HP 250).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls and eight "Systems Operators" with terminals in roomy
        crewstations.
    Occupancy:  Short. Passengers: Up to 12. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:
        Crewstations as above, 12 roomy passenger seats and 20 bunks.
        Environmental System:  22-person full lifesystem (HP 500).
    Power:  TL 9 160 MW fusion reactor (200 years, HP 2,000). Powers all
        systems with 3,653.5 kW excess power.
    Fuel:  900 gallon self-sealing tank (HP 175, fire -3), two 90,000 gallon
        ultra-light tanks (HP 4,000). 900 gallons cadmium last for 92 days at
        full thrust, 180,000 gallons RF-12 (fire on 13) last for 146 seconds of
        full thrust.
    Space:  11,215.2 cf engine access, 2,153.8 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 72,562.5 cf, wheels 3,628.125 cf. Area:  Body 12,000 sf,
        wheels 2,000 sf, total area 14,000 sf.
    Structure:  TL 9 expensive frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 18,000, wheels 600 each.
    Armor:  TL 9 advanced composite armor, PD 4, DR 100 on body F and U, PD 4,
        DR 40 on all other locations.
    Surface Features:  Seal, radiation shielding.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 207.35 tons, fuel 930.15 tons, payload/crew 12.5
        tons, loaded weight 1,150 tons, volume 72,562.5 cf, size modifier +8,
        Cost $57,800,000, HT 7 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance (Courier without Booster):  Using the RF-12 drive, sAccel
        2 G to 10.4 G, sMR 2 to 10.5, delta-V 6,340 m/s. Using the ion drive
        with empty RF-12 tanks, sAccel 0.00048 G to 0.00055 G, sMR 0, delta-V
        39,848 m/s.
    Air Performance (Courier with empty tanks under Earth conditions):  Stall
        speed 295 mph, thrust 0, drag 600, top speed 0, aAccel 0, aMR 0.25, aSR
        5, aDecel 1 mph/s.
    Ground Performance (Courier with empty tanks):  Top speed 0, gAccel 0,
        gDecel 10 mph/s, gMR 0.25, gSR 4, very high GP.

Terradyne Hojo-Class Orbital Transfer Vehicle v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Hojo-Class Orbital Transfer Vehicle (nicknamed Mother Hen) is used between
    the various orbits in the Earth-Moon-System.
        Modified Mother Hens are used by System Survey.
        Most systems of the Hojo are placed in a cylinder with 42' diameter and
    35' length. This includes the engine packs and fuel/reaction mass, the crew
    and passenger seats with life support packs and room for several dozen tons
    of carry-on luggage. A 100' rack can be used to carry twenty standard cargo
    modules externally.
        This OTV is an adaption of the Hojo from TE94 under the Vehicles rules
    [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 technology and the
    Artemis Engine defined above.
    
    Subassembly:  Open mount.
    Propulsion:  Five vectored ten-ton MOX rockets (Bo, HP 40, burn 21,600 gph
        MOX each), 120-ton Artemis Engine (Bo, HP 500, uses 24,000 gph water).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled extreme-range radios (Bo,
        100,000 miles, HP 50), scrambled extreme-range tight-beam radio (Bo,
        1,000,000 mi., HP 150), six LLTVs (Bo, all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2),
        two radars (BoF and BoB, 500 mi., scan 27, HP 50), two flight data
        recorders (Bo, HP 4), two sets of precision navigation instruments (Bo,
        HP 4), four transponders (Bo, HP 1), four INS (Bo, HP 4), four GPS (Bo,
        HP 1), laser rangefinder (BoF, 10 mi., HP 2), two advanced radar/laser
        detectors (Bo, HP 3), three hardened microframes (Bo, C4, HP 40) and
        three terminals (Bo, HP 10). Software: Damage control, database (86.15
        GB astrogation files), datalink, routine vehicle operation (C4 piloting
        (low-performance spacecraft), skill 14).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (Bo, 5 units, HP
        6), two four-person airlocks (Bo, HP 250) with passage tubes (Bo, HP
        75), twenty external cradles (open mount, 50 tons, HP 250), two
        refueling probes (Bo, HP 11).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls, "Systems Operator" with computer terminal and seven "Flight
        Attendants", all in roomy crewstations in the body.
    Occupancy:  Long. Passengers:  Up to 140. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:
        Crewstations as above, 140 roomy passenger seats and eight galley units
        in the body. Environmental System:  150 x 240h limited lifesystem (Bo,
        HP 2,000).
    Energy Bank:  72 GWs rechargeable power cells (Bo, HP 125). Power all
        systems for 61 hours.
    Fuel:  18,000 gallon self-sealing tank (Bo, HP 1,200, fire -3) and 160,000
        gallon self-sealing tank (Bo, HP 5,000, fire -3). 18,000 gallons MOX
        (fire on 6) last for 10 minutes of full thrust and 160,000 gallons
        water last for 400 minutes of full thrust.
    Space:  1,630 cf engine access, 4,500 cf stowage and 3,258 cf empty space
        in the body.
    Volume:  Body 48,600 cf, open mount 4,000 cf. Area:  Body 8,000 sf, open
        mount 2,000 sf, structural area 8,000 sf, total area 10,000 sf.
    Structure:  Medium frame. Hit Points:  Body 12,000, open mount 4,000.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 50 standard metal armor.
    Surface Features:  Seal, radiation shielding, solar cells (four extra-
        light, cheap panels with 18,750 sf each, nominal output 3 MW, HP 937
        each).
    Statistics:  Empty weight 502 tons, fuel 788 tons, external cargo 1,000
        tons, internal payload/crew 60 tons, loaded weight 2,350 tons, volume
        52,600 cf, size modifier +8, Cost $12,400,000, HT 6 (under Earth
        conditions).
    Space Performance:  Using the MOX drive, sAccel 0.021 G to 0.032 G, sMR 0,
        delta-V 128 to 182 m/s. Using the Artemis Engine, sAccel 0.051 G to
        0.077 G, sMR 0, delta-V 14,192 to 15,015 m/s.

Terradyne Copernicus-Class Lunar Shuttle v1.0 (TL 8)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer
        
        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Copernicus-Class Lunar Shuttle (also known as the "L-Shot") carries those
    payloads that wouldn't survive a mass driver launch from the lunar surface
    to LLO and or down from LLO to the moon.
        The design of the shuttle is extremely simple. The hull is a 30' cube
    with a 640-ton aluminium/oxygen engine and three legs. It holds three fuel
    tanks, the flight deck with two workstations and a payload space. This area
    can be configured for passengers and/or cargo, but it is too small for the
    standard 50-ton cargo modules.
        This shuttle is an adaption of the L-Shot from TE94 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 technology.
    
    Subassemblies:  Three retractable skids.
    Propulsion:  640-ton MOX rocket (HP 500, burns 1,382,400 gph), six vectored
        one-ton MOX rockets (HP 8, burn 2,160 gph each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled long-range radios (1,000 miles,
        HP 2), scrambled long-range tight-beam radio (10,000 mi., HP 6), six
        LLTVs (all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), two flight data recorders (HP 4),
        navigation instruments (HP 4), two transponders (HP 1), two INS (HP 4),
        two GPS (HP 1), laser rangefinder (F, 10 mi., HP 2), three hardened
        minicomputers (C3, HP 11) and two terminals (HP 10). Software: Damage
        control, database (84.5 GB astrogation files), routine vehicle
        operation (C3 piloting (vertol), skill 13).
    Miscellaneous:  Four-person airlock (HP 250), refueling probe (HP 11).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  Two "Pilots" with flight controls,
        both in roomy crewstations.
    Occupancy:  Short. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crewstations as above.
        Environmental System:  2 x 24h limited lifesystem (HP 20).
    Energy Bank:  3.6 GWs rechargeable power cells (HP 15). Power all systems
        for 893 hours.
    Fuel:  Three 30,500-gallon ultra-light tanks (HP 2,000). 91,500 gallons MOX
        (fire on 9) last for 236.1 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  649 cf engines access, 11,000 cf payload, 668.06 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 29,025 cf, skids 1,451.25 cf.
    Area:  Body 6,500 sf, skids 800 sf, total area 7,300 sf.
    Structure:  Heavy, advanced body and medium, advanced skids.
    Hit Points:  Body 19,500, skids 400 each.
    Armor:  PD 3, DR 5 advanced composite armor. Surface Feature:  Seal.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 30 tons, fuel weight 549 tons, crew and gear 1
        ton, payload 240 tons, loaded weight 820 tons, volume 29,025 cf, size
        modifier +7, Cost $11,600,000, HT 7 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance:  sAccel 0.78 G to 2.36 G, sMR 0.75 to 2.25, delta-V
        2,989 m/s.

Terradyne Mars Jet Shuttle v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Mars Jet Shuttle is used to ferry goods and people between the surface of
    Mars and transfer stations in orbit.
        The UPOE has leased one Mars Jet Shuttle to ferry diplomats.
        The single-stage design was made possible by the ongoing terraforming
    operations, notably the atmosphere created by the Big Splash of 2064, and
    the low gravity. The shuttle takes off like a rocket, but after 23 seconds
    it is fast enough for fusion ram-jets to take over. When the atmosphere is
    getting too thin for the ram-jets, the conventional rockets kick in again.
    This sequence is reversed on the return trip, except for the airplane-like
    glider touchdown.
        This shuttle is an adaption of the Mars Jet Shuttle from TE95 under the
    Vehicles rules [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 and
    selected TL 9 components. The TL 9 fusion air ram was reverse-engineered
    from Mecha.
    
    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with excellent streamlining,
        ten small, retractable wheels, two wings, two pods (under wings).
    Propulsion:  Two 600-ton liquid fuel rockets (Bo, HP 250, burn 1,320,000
        gph each), five vectored five-ton liquid fuel rockets (Bo, HP 13, burn
        11,000 gph each) and two TL 9 300-ton fusion air rams (Pods, HP 800).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled very-long-range radios (Bo,
        10,000 miles, HP 10), scrambled very-long-range tight-beam radio (Bo,
        100,000 mi., HP 30), six LLTVs (Bo, all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), radar
        (BoF, 500 mi., scan 27, HP 50), two flight data recorders (Bo, HP 4),
        two sets of precision navigation instruments (Bo, HP 4), four
        transponders (Bo, HP 1), four INS (Bo, HP 4), four GPS (Bo, HP 1),
        laser rangefinder (BoF, 10 mi., HP 2), two advanced radar/laser
        detectors (Bo, HP 3), three hardened microframes (Bo, C4, HP 40) and
        four terminals (Bo, HP 10). Software: Damage control, database (96.65
        GB astrogation files), datalink, two routine vehicle operation (C4
        piloting (aerospace) and piloting (high-performance spacecraft), skill
        14).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (Bo, 5 units, HP
        6) and two four-person airlocks (Bo, HP 250).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls, two "Systems Operators" with terminals in roomy crewstations
        in the body.
    Occupancy:  Short. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crewstations as above.
        Environmental System:  4 x 48h limited lifesystem (Bo, HP 50).
    Energy Bank:  12 GWs rechargeable power cells (Bo, HP 40). Powers all
        systems for 26 hours.
    Fuel:  Four 27,500 gallon ultra-light tanks (Bo, HP 2,000). 110,000 gallons
        rocket fuel (fire on 13) last for 147 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  495 cf engine access, 25,000 cf stowage and 824 cf empty space in
        body.
    Volume:  Body 63,855 cf, wheels 3,192.75 cf, wings 300 cf, pods 1,202 cf.
        Area:  Body 10,000 sf, wheels 1,500 sf, wings 450 sf each, pods 800 sf
        each, total area 14,000 sf.
    Structure:  TL 9 expensive frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 15,000, wheels 450 each, wings 675 each, pods 1,200 each.
    Armor:  TL 9 advanced composite armor, PD 4, DR 100 on body F and U, PD 4,
        DR 60 on body T and B, PD 6, DR 80 on all other locations.
    Surface Feature:  Seal.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 130 tons, fuel 550 tons, payload/crew 420 tons,
        loaded weight 1,100 tons, volume 66,859 cf, size modifier +8, Cost
        $104,300,000, HT 6 (under Earth conditions).
    Ground Performance (empty tanks, under Earth conditions):  Top speed 0,
        gAccel 0, gDecel 10 mph/s, gMR 0.25, gSR 4, extremely high GP.
    Air Performance (air ram, under Earth conditions):  Stall speed 1,355 mph,
        aerial motive thrust 600 tons, drag 625, top speed 3,795 mph, aAccel 11
        mph/s, aMR 0.25, aSR 6, aDecel 1 mph/s.
    Space Performance (rocket engine):  sAccel 1.09 G to 2.18 G, sMR 1 to 2,
        delta-V 2,225 m/s.

Terradyne Victoria-Class Exploration Station v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    two Victoria-Class Exploration Stations, Victoria and her sister Trinidad,
    are mobile laboratories and even more importantly flying 'think tanks' for
    System Survey.
        The Exploration Stations consist of two sections. A rotating outer ring
    disk holds labs, cabins, and other living areas, including two greenhouse
    complexes that form part of the life support system. The center holds fuel
    tanks, engines, power plants, cargo holds and sensors. The Artemis Engines
    allow a delta-V of 45 km/s, enough to visit many interesting places on low
    energy transfer orbits. For those scientists who don't want to endure this
    time, freeze capsules are provided.
        This ship is an adaption of the Victoria from TE95 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 technology,
    selected TL 9 parts and the Artemis Engine defined above.

    Subassembly:  Turret (full rotation, on body).
    Propulsion:  Six vectored 40-ton MOX rockets (Bo, HP 100, burn 86,400 gph
        MOX each), 240-ton Artemis Engine (Bo, HP 800, uses 48,000 gph water).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Four scrambled extreme-range radios (Tu,
        100,000 miles, HP 50), two scrambled extreme-range tight-beam radios
        (Tu, 1,000,000 mi., HP 150), six LLTVs (Bo, all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP
        2), radar (BoF, 2,000 mi., scan 31, HP 125), two AESA (BoF and BoB,
        1,000 mi., scan 29, HP 100), two PESA (BoF and BoB, 800 mi., scan 28,
        HP 100), astronomical instruments (BoF, x1,000, +9/+18, HP 30), two
        high-resolution planetary survey arrays (both BoF, HP 125), two flight
        data recorders (Bo, HP 4), two sets of precision navigation instruments
        (Bo, HP 4), four transponders (Bo, HP 1), four INS (Bo, HP 4), four GPS
        (Bo, HP 1), laser rangefinder (BoF, 10 mi., HP 2), two advanced
        radar/laser detectors (Bo, HP 3), four hardened mainframes (Tu, C5, HP
        60), three hardened microframes (Bo, C4, HP 40) and 100 terminals (Tu,
        HP 10). Software: Damage control, database (17.8 GB astrogation files),
        datalink, routine vehicle operation (C4 piloting (low-performance
        spacecraft), skill 14).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (30 units Bo, 20
        units Tu, HP 6), nine science labs (Tu, assorted types, HP 600), two
        complete workshops (Bo, HP 800), six operating rooms (Tu, HP 250), 35
        TL 9 cryonic (freeze) capsules (Tu, HP 100), conference room (Tu, 800
        sf, 80 persons, HP 2,500), two four-person airlocks (Bo, HP 250) with
        armored passage tubes (Bo, HP 75), space dock (Bo, 10,000 cf of
        subcraft, HP 5,000), two refueling probes (Bo, HP 11).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and three "Pilots" with
        flight controls, six "Systems Operators"  and 90 "Scientific Observers"
        with computer terminals, all in roomy crew stations in the turret.
    Occupancy:  Long. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crew stations as above
        and 100 cabins in the turret. Environmental System:  Four 100 x 24h
        limited lifesystems (Bo, HP 300) and two total 100-person lifesystems
        (Tu, HP 3,000).
    Power:  1,100 kW RTG (Tu, 14 years, HP 150) and TL 9 40 MW fusion reactor
        (Bo, 200 years, HP 800) power all systems with 37,843.5 kW excess
        power.
    Fuel:  Six 6,000 gallon tanks (Bo, HP 600, fire -2) and twelve 100,000
        gallon tanks (Bo, HP 4,000, fire -2). 36,000 gallons MOX (fire on 6)
        last for 250 seconds of full thrust and 1,200,000 gallons water last
        for 25 hours of full thrust.
    Space:  6,264 cf engine access, 40,000 cf stowage in Bo, 80,000 cf stowage
        in Tu, 684.7 sf empty space in Bo, 25,092.5 cf empty space in Tu.
    Volume:  Body 300,000 cf, turret 200,000 cf. Area:  Body 30,000 sf, turret
        25,000 sf, area 55,000 sf.
    Structure:  Expensive frame. Hit Points:  Body 45,000, turret 37,500.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 100 expensive composite armor.
    Surface Features:  Seal, radiation shielding, solar cells (six extra-light
        panels with 50,000 sf each, nominal output 12 MW, HP 2,500 each).
    Statistics:  Empty weight 1,484 tons, fuel 5,316 tons, crew and payload
        1,200 tons, loaded weight 8,000 tons, volume 500,000 cf, size modifier
        +10, Cost $98,000,000, HT 6 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance:  Using the MOX drives, sAccel 0.03 G to 0.09 G, sMR 0,
        delta-V 75 to 211 m/s. Using the Artemis Engine, sAccel 0.03 G to 0.09
        G, sMR 0, delta-V 42,160 to 44239 m/s.

Terradyne Quickship v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Quickships are a good example of this, a craft designed solely for 'rapid'
    journeys from Earth to Titan (they were later used for Europa missions as
    well).
        A Quickship has quarters for 22 crew and freeze capsules for 20, since
    there is little to do on the long months it takes to reach the outer solar
    system. It is a shuttle in the proper sense of that word, not a research
    vessel but a ship that carries scientists and other people. The fusion air
    ram allows a fuel-saving takeoff from moons with atmosphere and the rocket
    engine is used for boosts onto interplanetary courses. Quickships can make
    a glider landing on Earth, but governments frown upon nuclear takeoffs.
        This ship is an adaption of the Quickship from TE96 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles second edition, Nov. 97 errata] with TL 8 technology,
    selected TL 9 components and the Artemis Engine defined above. The TL 9
    fusion air ram was reverse-engineered from Mecha.

    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with superior streamlining,
        six small, retractable wheels.
    Propulsion:  300-ton Artemis Engine (HP 1,000, uses 60,000 gph) and TL 9
        300-ton fusion air ram (HP 800).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled extreme-range radios (100,000
        miles, HP 50), scrambled extreme-range tight-beam radio (1,000,000 mi.,
        HP 150), six LLTVs (all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), two radars (F and B,
        500 mi., scan 27, HP 50), astronomical instrument (T, x1,000, +9/+18,
        HP 30), six flight data recorders (HP 4), four sets of precision
        navigation instruments (HP 4), four transponders (HP 1), four INS (HP
        4), four GPS (HP 1), laser rangefinder (F, 10 mi., HP 2), two advanced
        radar/laser detectors (HP 3), hardened mainframe (C5, HP 60), three
        hardened microframes (C4, HP 40) and 22 terminals (HP 10). Software:
        Damage control, database (98.3 GB astrogation files), datalink, two
        routine vehicle operation (C4 piloting (aerospace) and piloting (high-
        performance spacecraft), skill 14).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (5 units, HP 6),
        twenty TL 9 cryonic (freeze) capsules (HP 100), four-person airlock (HP
        250) and a refueling probe (HP 11).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls and twenty "Scientific Observers" with computer terminals, all
        in roomy crew stations.
    Occupancy:  Long. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crew stations as above,
        ten cabins with two beds each. Environmental System:  24 x 12h limited
        lifesystem (HP 75) and 22-person total lifesystem (HP 1,200).
    Power:  240 kW RTG (14 years, HP 60) and TL 9 24 MW fusion reactor (200
        years, HP 600). Power all systems with 23,753.5 kW excess power.
    Fuel:  Four 28,250 gallon light tanks (HP 2,000, fire -1). 113,000 gallons
        water last for 113 minutes of full thrust.
    Space:  7,856 cf engine access, 6,000 cf stowage, 5,532.9 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 69,875 cf, wheels 3,493.75 cf. Area:  Body 12,000 sf, wheels
        2,000 sf, total area 14,000 sf.
    Structure:  TL 9 expensive frame. Structural Option:  Improved suspension.
    Hit Points:  Body 18,000, wheels 1,000 each.
    Armor:  TL 9 advanced composite armor, F/U PD 4, DR 100, T/B PD 4, DR 50,
        all others PD 4, DR 75.
    Surface Features:  Seal, radiation shielding, puncture-resistant tires.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 209.75 tons, fuel 480.25 tons, payload and crew
        60 tons, loaded weight 750 tons, volume 69,875 cf, size modifier +8,
        Cost $36,500,000, HT 7 (under Earth conditions).
    Air Performance (under Earth conditions):  Stall speed 960 mph, aerial
        motive thrust 300 tons, drag 1,200, top speed 1,935 mph, aAccel 8
        mph/s, aMR 0.25, aSR 5, aDecel 1 mph/s.
    Space Performance:  sAccel 0.4 G to 1.1, sMR 0.5 to 1, delta-V 42,486 m/s.

Terradyne Daimyo-Class Security Cruiser v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer
        
        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Daimyo-Class Security Cruiser is used by the CSF to prevent smuggling and
    to protect the colonies in case of an open conflict with Earth.
        The UPOE has purchased 48 Daimyos for their ISF fleet as well.
        The cruiser is a 40' by 18' by 18' box. On the front end, it mounts the
    main armor plate and two ultraviolet lasers. The crew of eight has cramped
    living and working areas and life support for ten days. The air system can
    handle up to 16 persons for shorter periods. Maintenance is limited by the
    lack of proper workshops, but the reaction mass lasts for a mere 35 minutes
    at one G anyway.
        This cruiser is an adaption of the Daimyo from TE96 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 technology and
    the Artemis Engine defined above.
    
    Propulsion:  Ten vectored two-ton MOX rockets (HP 13, burn 4,320 gph MOX
        each), 280-ton Artemis Engine (HP 1,000, uses 56,000 gph water).
    Weaponry:  Two "Medium Space Combat Lasers" (F, HP 175) in fully stabilized
        cyberslave mounts (HP 200).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled extreme-range radios (100,000
        miles, HP 50), scrambled extreme-range tight-beam radio (1,000,000 mi.,
        HP 150), six LLTVs (all faces, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), two radars (F and B,
        500 mi., scan 27, HP 50), two thermographs (F and B, 800 mi., scan 28,
        HP 75), flight recorder (HP 4), precision navigation instruments (HP
        4), four IFF (HP 1), four INS (HP 4), five military GPS (HP 1), two
        advanced radar/laser detectors (HP 3), deceptive jammer (jam rating 6,
        HP 16), IR jammer (jam rating 6, HP 10), ten decoy dischargers (HP 6),
        blip enhancer (HP 13), three hardened microframes (C4, HP 40) and eight
        terminals (HP 10). Software: Damage control, database (96.7 GB
        astrogation files), datalink, two gunner (skill 12), routine vehicle
        operation (C3 piloting (high-performance spacecraft), skill 13), two
        targeting (C3, +4).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (HP 6), four-
        person airlock (HP 250) with passage tube (HP 75), two refueling probes
        (HP 11).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls, two "Gunners" and four "Systems Operators" with computer
        terminals, all in roomy crew stations.
    Occupancy:  Long. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crew stations as above
        and eight bunks. Environmental System:  16 x 120h limited lifesystem
        (HP 250).
    Energy Bank:  360 GWs rechargeable power cells (HP 400). Powers all non-
        weapon systems for 350 hours, each shot uses 320 sec. worth of power.
    Fuel:  1,500 gallon self-sealing tank (HP 250, fire -3) and 25,200 gallon
        self-sealing tank (HP 2,000, fire -3). 1,500 gallons MOX (fire on 6)
        last for 125 seconds of full thrust, 25,200 gallons water last for 27
        minutes of full thrust.
    Space:  3,460 cf engine access, 270 cf stowage, 374.5 cf extra crew space.
    Volume:  13,000 cf. Area:  4,000 sf. Structure:  Heavy, expensive frame.
    Hit Points:  12,000.
    Armor:  Front PD 4, DR 240, all other faces PD 4, DR 60 expensive laminate.
    Surface Features:  Seal, radiation shielding, four 12-ton hardpoints, solar
        cells (four retractable, super-light, advanced panels with 6,250 sf
        each, nominal output 1 MW, HP 125 each).
    Statistics:  Empty weight 153.9 tons, fuel 116.1 tons, crew and payload 10
        tons, loaded weight 280 tons, volume 13,000 cf, size modifier +7, Cost
        $20,000,000, HT 9 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance:  Using the Artemis Engine, sAccel 1 G to 1.71 G, sMR 1
        to 1.5, delta-V 20,029 to 20,893 m/s. Using the MOX drive, sAccel 0.071
        G to 0.12 G, sMR 0, delta-V 89 to 146 m/s.

Cheung Group Payload-90 Shuttle v1.0 (TL 8/9)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. To counter this, the Earth governments
    provide grants and subsidies to companies like Cheung Group, collectively
    known as "Beijing Aerospace". The Payload-90 is one of the results.
        The Payload-90 Shuttle consists of a Jet Booster section with rockets
    for takeoff and ramjets to reach Mach 10 and an Orbiter that separates at
    this speed to fly into orbit. As the name suggests, the shuttle can carry
    90 tons of payload plus a crew of two. It is powered by a fission reactor
    that has plenty of excess power for equipment in the payload bay, and the
    mainframe has ample computing power to spare.
        This spacecraft is an adaption of the Payload-90 Shuttle from TE97
    under the Vehicles rules [Vehicles second edition, Nov. 97 errata] with
    late TL 8 and selected TL 9 components, the new engine defined above and
    the multi-stage rules from Pyramid 22.

    BOOSTER:
    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with radical streamlining,
        16 small, retractable wheels, two STOL wings.
    Propulsion:  Two 660-ton ramjets (HP 1,200, burn 165,000 gph jet fuel each)
        and four 600-ton SAH Rockets (HP 250, burn 1,092,000 gph SAH each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Four scrambled long-range radios (1,000
        miles, HP 2), four transponders (HP 1), four INS (HP 4), four hardened
        minicomputers (C3, HP 11). Software: Database (90.2 GB maps), datalink,
        routine vehicle operation (C3 piloting (aerospace), skill 13).
    Energy Bank:  Three 180 MWs rechargeable power cells (HP 2) power all
        systems.
    Fuel:  Two 13,800 gallon ultra-light tanks (HP 1,000), two 21,500 gallon
        ultra-light tanks (HP 1,500). 27,600 gallons jet fuel (fire on 13) last
        for 301 seconds, 43,000 gallons SAH (fire on 13) last for 35.4 seconds.
    Space:  1,157.2 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 27,090 cf, wheels 1,354.5 cf, wings 600 cf each. Area:  Body
        6,500 sf, wheels 800 sf, wings 1,000 sf each, total area 9,300 sf.
    Structure:  Heavy frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 19,500, wheels 300 each, wings 3,000 each.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 20 advanced composite armor. Surface Feature:  Seal.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 195.3 tons, fuel 304.7 tons, Orbiter 700 tons,
        takeoff weight 1,200 tons, volume 28,290 cf, size modifier +7, Cost
        $142,600,000, HT 7 (under Earth conditions).
    Air Performance (Rocket Takeoff under Earth conditions): Stall speed 0,
        aerial motive thrust 1,200 tons, drag 350, top speed 7,170 mph, aAccel
        20 mph/s, aMR 0.5, aSR 6, aDecel 2 mph/s.
    Air Performance (Ramjet Boost under Earth conditions): Stall speed 775 mph,
        aerial motive thrust 1,320 tons, top speed 7,520 mph, aAccel 27 mph/s,
        aMR 1, aDecel 4 mph/s.
    Air Performance (Unpowered without Orbiter under Earth conditions): Stall
        speed 205 mph, aerial motive thrust 0, top speed 0, aAccel 0, aMR 3.5,
        aDecel 14 mph/s.
    Ground Performance (Unpowered without Orbiter): Top speed 0, gAccel 0,
        gDecel 10 mph/s, gMR 0.125, gSR 4, extremely high GP.

    ORBITER:
    Body Features and Subassemblies:  Lifting body with radical streamlining,
        six small, retractable wheels.
    Propulsion:  Two vectored 700-ton SAH Rockets (HP 400, burn 1,274,000 gph
        each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled very-long-range radios (10,000
        miles, HP 10), two long-range lasercoms (2,000 mi., HP 10), four LLTVs
        (F/B/T/U, x10, +3/+6, HP 1), ladar (F, 125 mi., scan 23, HP 30), two
        flight data recorders (HP 4), precision navigation instruments (HP 4),
        four transponders (HP 1), four INS (HP 4), two GPS (HP 1), laser
        rangefinder (T, 5 mi., HP 1), two advanced radar/laser detectors (HP
        3), hardened mainframe (C5, HP 60), four hardened minicomputers (C3, HP
        11) and two terminals (HP 10). Software: Damage control, database (11.8
        GB astrogation files), datalink, two routine vehicle operation (C5
        piloting (aerospace) and piloting (high-performance spacecraft), skill
        15).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (3 units, HP 6),
        four-person airlock (HP 250).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls in roomy crew stations.
    Occupancy:  Short. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crew stations as above.
        Environmental System:  2 x 192h limited lifesystem (HP 100).
    Power:  3 MW fission reactor (2 years, HP 300). Powers all systems with
        2,934.5 kW excess power.
    Fuel:  Four 25,000 gallon ultra-light tanks (HP 2,000). 100,000 gallons SAH
        (fire on 13) last for 141.3 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  1,160 cf engine access, 9,000 cf payload, 3,282.6 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 45,150 cf, wheels 2,257.5 cf. Area:  Body 8,000 sf, wheels
        1,200 sf, total area 9,200 sf.
    Structure:  Heavy frame. Hit Points:  Body 24,000, wheels 1,200 each.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 100 advanced composite armor. Surface Feature:  Seal.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 109 tons, fuel 500 tons, payload/crew 91 tons,
        loaded weight 700 tons, volume 45,150 cf, size modifier +8, Cost
        $23,400,000, HT 8 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance (without Booster): sAccel 2 G to 7 G, sMR 2 to 7, delta-V
        4,862 m/s.
    Air Performance (Orbiter with empty tanks under Earth conditions): Stall
        speed 435 mph, thrust 0, drag 200, top speed 0, aAccel 0, aMR 0.25, aSR
        5, aDecel 1 mph/s.
    Ground Performance (Orbiter with empty tanks): Top speed 0, gAccel 0,
        gDecel 10 mph/s, gMR 0.25, gSR 3, extremely high GP.

Terradyne Basic Booster Unit v1.0 (TL 8)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer
        
        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Basic Booster Unit moves single Standard Cargo Modules between the various
    Earth orbits, usually operating between 3,000 and 4,000 miles altitude.
        The Booster Unit consists of a small engine, a tank with over 30 tons
    of MOX fuel and an open frame that holds a standard cargo module. A small
    electronics package controls all this, but the Booster is dumb and almost
    blind - it relies on detailed orders from flight controllers.
        This craft is an adaption of the Booster from TE97 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 technology.
    
    Propulsion:  Vectored ten-ton MOX rocket (HP 40, burns 21,600 gph).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled long-range radios (1,000 miles,
        HP 2), scrambled long-range tight-beam radio (10,000 mi., HP 6), two
        LLTVs (F/B, x15, +4/+7, HP 2), flight data recorder (HP 4), four
        transponders (HP 1), INS (HP 4), two GPS (HP 1), laser rangefinder (F,
        5 mi., HP 1), three hardened minicomputers (C3, HP 11). Software:
        Database (5.7 GB astrogation files), datalink, routine vehicle
        operation (C3 piloting (high-performance spacecraft), skill 13).
    Miscellaneous:  Vehicle bay (4,800 cf, HP 2,000), refueling probe (HP 11).
    Energy Bank:  180 MWs rechargeable power cell (HP 2). Power all systems for
        17.3 days.
    Fuel:  5,130 gallon self-sealing tank (HP 600, fire -3). 5,130 gallons MOX
        (fire on 6) last for 855 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  162.7 cf empty space. Volume:  6,000 cf. Area:  Body 2,000 sf.
    Structure:  Very cheap frame. Hit Points:  3,000.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 75 cheap, open-frame metal armor.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 19.22 tons, fuel weight 30.78 tons, cargo module
        50 tons, loaded weight 100 tons, volume 6,000 cf, size modifier +6,
        Cost $420,000, HT 8 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance:  sAccel 0.1 G to 0.14 G, sMR 0, delta-V 1,002 m/s.

Terradyne Standard Cargo Module v1.0 (TL 8)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer
        
        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Specialized craft form an intricate web
    that links Earth, Luna, Mars and the other bodies of the solar system. The
    Standard Cargo Module is a vital part of this web, even if it isn't really
    a spaceship. Strapped into a booster unit, it is a common sight in orbit.
        The module is a slightly rounded 6.6m by 6.6m by 5.4m box with hatches
    at two sides. It has a capacity of 48 tons, but with 2 tons of tare weight
    it is generally called the 50-ton cargo module. The cargo is protected by a
    vacuum-proof sandwich of kevlar and titanium.
        This 'craft' is an adaption of the module mentioned in GURPS Terradyne
    under the Vehicles rules [Vehicles 2nd edition, Nov. 97 errata] with TL 8
    technology.
        
    Miscellaneous:  Two cargo 'ramps', high-security alarm (skill 20).
    Space:  4,800 cf cargo hold. Volume:  4,800 cf. Area:  2,000 sf.
    Structure:  Advanced, light frame. Hit Points:  1,500.
    Armor:  PD 2, DR 2 advanced metal armor, DR 13 expensive ablative armor and
        DR 2 advanced metal armor. Surface Feature:  Sealed.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 2 tons, cargo up to 48 tons, loaded weight up to
        50 tons, volume 4,800 cf, size modifier +6, Cost $572,200, HT 8 (under
        Earth conditions).

Defense Management Station v1.0 (TL 8)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        By 2120, the 20th century treaties that limited military deployments in
    space were routinely stretched and even broken. Most major nations maintain
    Defense Management Stations (DMS) to coordinate military surface and space
    activities. A typical example for a large station is Siva, the main Indian
    DMS.
        The station consists of the Hub and the rotating Ring. The Hub contains
    a large array of commo and sensor gear, propulsion and power systems and a
    pair of 'space docks'. Usually those docks are not pressurized, but they
    are a better work environment for spacecraft maintenance that open space.
    The Hub mounts the 'defensive' weaponry as well, a dozen laser cannons and
    half a dozen missile launchers. In case of a large war, those weapons would
    be used to neutralize opposing DMS. The Ring contains quarters under 0.8 G
    (at the outer rim) and offices for almost four thousand staffers. The crew
    of Siva could coordinate several army corps from space if the regular HQs
    were destroyed.
        Even using raw materials from the moon, the pricetag of a major DMS is
    mindboggling, especially in view of the likely destruction in the opening
    stages of a war.
        This DMS is an adaption of the Siva DMS from TE98 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles second edition, Nov. 97 errata] with late TL 8 technology.
    
    Subassemblies:  Turret (full rotation, on body).
    Propulsion:  Twenty vectored 55-ton MOX rockets (Bo, HP 125, burn 118,800
        gph each).
    Weaponry:  12 "Medium Space Combat Lasers" (Bo, two on each face, HP 175)
        in fully stabilized cyberslave mounts (HP 200) and six heavy automatic
        missile launchers (Bo, one on each face, rated for 1 ton, HP 200) with
        40 "Heavy Space Combat Missiles" each (Bo, HP 800).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Ten extreme-range radios with scrambler (Bo,
        100,000 miles, HP 50), two extreme-range, very sensitive radios with
        scrambler and RDF (Bo, 100,000/10,000,000 miles, HP 1,000), ten long-
        range tight-beam radios with scrambler (Bo, 10,000 miles, HP 1), six
        extreme-range, sensitive tight-beam radios with scrambler (Bo,
        1,000,000/10,000,000 miles, HP 600), 160 long-range lasercoms (Bo,
        2,000 miles, HP 10), LLTV (BoU, x10,000, +12/+24, HP 150, fully
        stabilized), six ladars (Bo, all faces, 2,000 miles, scan 31, HP 200),
        six thermographs (Bo, all faces, 1,600 miles, scan 30, HP 100), PESA
        (BoT, 8,000 miles, scan 34, HP 500), high-resolution planetary survey
        array (BoU, HP 125), six sets of precision navigation instruments (Bo,
        HP 4), eight IFF (Bo, HP 1), six INS (Bo, HP 4), five advanced
        radar/laser detectors (Tu, HP 3), two area jammers (Bo, jam rating 8,
        HP 16), two deceptive jammers (Bo, jam rating 8, HP 24), two IR jammers
        (Bo, jam rating 8, HP 16), 1,280 decoy dischargers (Tu, HP 6), three
        hardened, neural-net macroframes (Tu, C6, HP 250), three hardened,
        neural-net mainframes (Bo, C5, HP 60), 18 hardened microframes (Bo, C4,
        HP 40), 60 hardened minicomputers (Tu, C3, HP 11) and 2,000 terminals
        (200 Bo and 1,800 Tu, HP 10). Software: Damage control (C5), database
        (4.1 GB astrogation files), 200 datalink, 18 gunner (skill 12),
        astrogation-24 [8], electronics operation (sensors)-24 [8], tactics
        (space)-23 [8], routine vehicle operation (C5 piloting (low-performance
        spacecraft), skill 15), 18 targeting (C5, +6).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire suppression system (500 units in
        Bo, 495 units in Tu, HP 6), ten complete workshops (Bo, HP 800), 40
        operating rooms (Tu, HP 250), six bars/lounges (Tu, 1,000 sf and 100
        persons each, HP 3,000), four conference rooms (Tu, 500 sf and 50
        persons, HP 2,000), 12 two-person airlocks (6 Bo and 6 Tu, HP 150), six
        four-person airlocks (Bo, HP 250) with armored passage tubes (Bo, HP
        75), two 12-person airlocks (Bo, HP 500) with armored passage tubes
        (Bo, HP 75), two 12-person airlocks (Bo, HP 500), brig (Tu, 40 bunks,
        HP 2,000), two spacedocks (Bo, 500,000 cf of subcraft each, HP 60,000),
        four refueling probes (Bo, HP 11), six refueling drogues (Bo, HP 40).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  Four "Helmsmen" with flight
        controls, 18 "Gunners", 18 "Systems Operators", 160 "Commo Operators"
        with computer terminals and roomy workstations in the body plus 1,800
        "Defense Analysts" with terminals and roomy workstations in the turret.
    Occupancy:  Long. Crew:  As above plus 2,000 backup crew and maintenance
        staff. Accomodations:  3,200 bunks, 360 double-occupancy cabins, 40
        single-occupancy cabins and 40 luxury cabins, all in the turret.
        Environmental Systems:  Nine 2,000 x 6h limited lifesystems (Bo, HP
        800) and four 1,000-person full lifesystems (Tu, HP 6,500).
    Power:  Two 60 MW fission reactors (Bo, 2 years, HP 2,000) power all
        systems with at least 62,760 kW excess power. Energy Bank:  Eight 200
        GWs rechargeable power cells (Bo, HP 250) power lasers for 24 minutes
        of continuous fire.
    Fuel:  Ten 1,000,000 gallon tanks (Bo, HP 20,000, fire -2), 10,000,000
        gallons of MOX (fire on 7) last for 253 minutes of full thrust.
    Space:  22,820 cf engine access, 100,000 plus 900,000 cf stowage space,
        409,950.5 plus 2,719,059.5 cf empty space.
    Volume:  Body 5,000,000 cf, turret 4,450,000 cf.
    Area:  Body 180,000 sf, turret 160,000 sf, total area 340,000 sf.
    Structure:  Extra-heavy, very cheap frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 1,080,000, turret 960,000.
    Structural Option:  Total compartmentalization.
    Armor:  PD 4, DR 450 standard metal armor.
    Surface Features:  Seal, basic IR cloaking, radiation shielding.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 40,000 tons, fuel 60,000 tons, crew, equipent and
        ammo 10,000 tons, loaded weight 110,000 tons, volume 9,450,000 cf, size
        modifier +12, Cost $490,800,000, HT 6 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance:  sAccel 0.01 G to 0.022 G, sMR 0, delta-V 2,149 m/s.

"Mailbag"-Class Orbital Transfer Vehicle v1.0 (TL 8)
    Copyright 1998 by Onno Meyer

        In the early 22th century, the Terradyne corporate fleet has a virtual
    monopoly on deep space operations. Those independents who are still around
    often use obsolete craft like the "Mailbags" which went out of production
    in the 2090s. The "Mailbag" is very common among smugglers, too.
        The OTV has a roughly box-like, unstreamlined hull some 35' long. Much
    of the interior is taken by the tanks for old-style rocket engines and the
    cargo holds (which are incompatible with Terradyne 50-ton cargo modules).
    The quarters are adequate for the crew of two, and the air scrubbers won't
    handle more people for prolonged periods of time, anyway. Many "Mailbags"
    are heavily modified, with additional life support, power systems and in
    some cases even light lasers.
        This OTV is an adaption of the "Mailbag" from TE98 under the Vehicles
    rules [Vehicles second edition, Nov. 97 errata] with TL 8 technology.
    
    Propulsion:  200-ton liquid fuel rocket (HP 125, burns 440,000 gph) and
        five vectored 2-ton liquid fuel rockets (HP 7, burn 4,400 gph each).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two very-long-range radios (10,000 miles, HP
        10), two LLTVs (F/B, x1, HP 1), radar (F, 20 mi., scan 19, HP 6),
        flight data recorder (HP 4), two sets of precision navigation
        instruments (HP 4), two transponders (HP 1), INS (HP 4), four GPS (HP
        1), laser rangefinder (F, 10 mi., HP 2), two advanced radar detectors
        (HP 2), two hardened minicomputers (C3, HP 11) and two terminals (HP
        10). Software: Database (29.487 GB astrogation files), datalink.
    Miscellaneous Components:  Four-person airlock (HP 250), refueling probe
        (HP 11).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew Stations:  "Captain" and "Pilot" with flight
        controls in roomy crew stations.
    Occupancy:  Long. Crew:  As above. Accomodations:  Crew stations as above,
        two bunks. Environmental System:  2 x 480h limited lifesystem (HP 150).
    Power:  10 kW fuel cell (HP 8, uses 1.3 gph hydrogen and 0.65 gph oxygen)
        powers all systems with 3.8 kW excess power. Energy Bank:  9,600 kWs
        advanced battery (HP 2) powers life support for 160 minutes.
    Fuel:  130 gallon self-sealing tank (HP 50, fire -3), 65 gallon self-
        sealing tank (HP 30, fire -3) and 98,000 gallon light tank (HP 4,000,
        fire -1). 130 gallons hydrogen (fire on 10) and 65 gallons oxygen (fire
        on 10) power the fuel cell for 100 hours at peak output, 98,000 gallons
        rocket fuel (fire on 12) last for 763.6 seconds of full thrust.
    Space:  175 cf engine access, 18,000 cf cargo and 1,389.038 cf empty space.
    Volume:  35,000 cf. Area:  6,500 sf.
    Structure:  Light, very expensive frame. Hit Points:  4,875.
    Armor:  PD 3, DR 10 advanced composite armor.
    Surface Features:  Seal, radiation shielding.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 57,800.6 lbs., fuels 980,699.4 lbs., crew 1,500
        lbs., cargo 360,000 lbs., loaded weight 700 tons, volume 35,000 cf,
        size modifier +8, Cost $2,700,000, HT 6 (under Earth conditions).
    Space Performance:  sAccel 0.3 G to 1 G, sMR 0.25 to 1, delta-V 3,865 m/s.