Subject: Three prototypes
From: "Onno Meyer" <[email-masked]>

This posting contains three prototypes. Since they are my 1st, 3rd and 4th
attempts to use the 2nd edition of Vehicles, you're advised to double-check
them if you use them. Indeed, it would be nice if someone would do that and
tell me the results.

Lou Campbell asked for allied WWII armor. I guess a T-34 isn't what he had in
mind, but I have at least basic data on it. I expect James Lowry to do a much
more solid adaption sometime in the future:-)

I'm confident about the crew size, main gun caliber, engine power/type and
speed. Ammo numbers, endurance, crew functions and armor are wild guesses ...

Calculated speed is a bit high, probably because the weight is a few percent
too low.

T-34/85 v0.1 (TL 6)

        The T-34/85 was introduced in 1943 and served well into the 1960s. It
    outclassed the earlier German armor (compare the Panzer IIIs described by
    James Lowry).
        The main gun is a 85mm cannon firing HE or AP rounds. Coaxial to that
    is a MG (crit|cr|7d|17|13|700|3,900|10). In addition to two gunners, the
    turret contains the seat of the commander with access to the radio. The
    body holds a driver and a hull machine gunner. The diesel engine had clear
    advantages over gasoline engines, especially safer fuel.
        The tank is a TL06 vehicle [2nd ed.].

    85mm Tank Cannon   $14,000   2,600   lbs.    52     cf
        1 round APC        $58.5    39   lbs.     0.26  cf
        1 round HE         $39      26   lbs.     0.26  cf
    Round Malf Type Damage   SS Acc 1/2D  Max   RoF Shots
    APC   Crit Cr   6d*11(2) 30 15  1,600 6,300 1/4 1
    HE    Crit Exp  6d*5[6d] 30 15  1,600 6,300 1/4 1

    Subassemblies and Body features:  Fully rotating turret, tracks, 60 degree
        front slope and 30 degree rear slope.
    Propulsion:  370 KW tracked drivetrain (HP 100).
    Weaponry:  One 85mm tank cannon (TuF, HP 100) with 30 APC rounds and 20 HE
        rounds. One coaxial .30 MG (TuF, HP 4) and one casemated .30 MG (F, HP
        4) with a total of 2,000 rounds.
    Electronics:  Medium radio (turret, 10 mi., HP 2).
    Controls:  Mechanical. Crew:  Three cramped workstations in the turret, two
        cramped workstations in the body, environmental controls.
    Power:  372 KW HP diesel engine (HP 100) with 140 gallons diesel (self-
        sealing, HP 50, fire on 9), uses 16.74 gph for 8 h 20 min endurance.
    Space:  7.84 plus 7.6 cf waste or cargo space (gear crammed into nooks).
    Volume:  Turret 120 cf, body 280 cf, tracks 168 cf.
    Area:  Turret 150, body 300, tracks 200, total area 650.
    Structure:  XH frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 1,800, turret 900, tracks 600 each.
    Armor:  120 expensive metal armor. With slopes F240 B180 R120 L120 T120
        U120; TuF120 TuB120 TuR120 TuL120 TuT120.
    Surface features:  Waterproof.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 59,862 lbs., usual payload 1,000 lbs., loaded
        weight 30.431t, volume 568 cf, size modifier +4, Cost $323,451, HT 11.
    Ground Performance:  Speed 35, acceleration 3 mph/s, deceleration 20 mph/s,
        gMR 0.25, gSR 6, moderate GP, off-road speed 2/3.

My IFV-concept is a scaled-up M2 Bradley. The size actually stayed the same,
but most systems got more capable.

Problems:
- I could find no rules for seats half in the turret.
- Are track volumes calculated as 0.6*(body volume after slope modifications)
  or 0.6*(body volume before slope modifications)?
- Where is the turret power consumption?
- Where is the component HP calculation? ... Time to read V2 end-to-end :-)
- Is it just my lavish style, or do get AFVs more and more expensive?

I extended the shift from a .50 BMG on a M113 to a 25mm cannon on the M2 with
a 40mm caseless autocannon on my design. As light armored vehicles toughened
to survive 30mm rounds, the weaponry had to keep up:

TL8 40mm Heavy Autocannon
    A caseless, cassette-fed long-barreled autocannon useful for air
    defense, infantry suppression and light armor-killing (with the
    right rounds). It is intended for serious IFVs.
    40mmCL Autocannon  $30,250     405   lbs.     8.1   cf
      10 rounds APDS      $408      27.2 lbs.     0.272 cf
      10 rounds HEPF      $408      27.2 lbs.     0.272 cf
      10 rounds HEDP      $244.8    27.2 lbs.     0.272 cf
    Round Malf Type Damage   SS Acc 1/2D  Max    RoF Shots
    APDS  Ver  Cr   6d*10(2) 25 15  2,700 10,200 8   var
    HEPF  Ver  Pxp  6d*2[4d] 25 15  1,800  6,800 8   var
    HEDP  Ver  Sxp  4d*2[4d] 25 15  1,800  6,800 8   var

In respose to TL8 Combat Infantry Dress, monocrys and clamshell armor, the MG
became 10mm caseless. Since the gun seemed a bit small, I boosted the RoF,
but the caseless rounds are quite light:

TL8 10mm Coaxial Minigun
    This medium machinegun was build as coaxial AFV weapon - they have
    the ability to support the mass and ammo consumption of a gatling.
    10mmCL Minigun      $6,750      45   lbs.      0.9 cf
      200 Solids           $60      15   lbs.      0.1 cf
      200 APS             $300      10   lbs.      0.1 cf
    Round Malf      Type Damage SS Acc 1/2D  Max   RoF Shots Power
    Solid Ver(Crit) Cr   10d    20 14  1,100 5,000 100 var   1.5 KW
    APS   Ver(Crit) Cr   13d(2) 20 14  1,650 7,500 100 var   1.5 KW

Since guidance wires are just troublesome, I replaced the pair of TOWs with
one newer launch tube. Those missiles are quite expensive, but I like smart
weapons:

TL8 100mm "Tankbuster" ATGM
    This advanced IR-guided missile homes on tanks and other targets,
    but the ability to kill aircraft is really limited. It comes with
    breechloading reuseable tubes for AFV use.
    100mm "Tankbuster" ATGM   $21,760    80 lbs.   1.6 cf
    Breechloading Tube         $8,000   120 lbs.   2.4 cf
    Malf Guid   Type Damage    Spd   End Max    SS Sk RoF
    Crit IIRHPU Sxp  6d*60(10) 800   17  13,600 20 19 1/3

And now for something completely different: A dedicated missile defense gun.
I could not hope to match the power and range of the naval Phalanx system,
but ATGMs are (hopefully) not all that tough. A single hit should kill a
missile, and this gatling fires 12,000 rounds per minute.

TL8 4mm Missile Defense Gatling
    This 16-barrel minigun was build to kill ATGMs through pure volume
    of fire. It is usually found in little turrets atop AFVs.
    4mmCL Gatling       $3,600      24   lbs.      0.48 cf
      5,000 rounds         $96      24   lbs.      0.16 cf
    Malf      Type Damage SS Acc 1/2D Max   RoF Shots Power
    Ver(Crit) Cr   4d     17 11  450  3,000 200 var   0.02 KW

Infantry Fighting Vehicle v0.1 (TL 6)
        
        The low construction and the number of weapons give this IFV a sleek,
    deadly look. It was build to fight and survive on the battlefields of the
    early 21st century.
        On top of the IFV sits a small turret with two radars and a 16-barrel
    gatling (Ver(C)|Cr|4d|17|11|450|3,000|200|15,000). Below that, the main
    turret with gunner and commander contains the main sensors and weapons: a
    40mm autocannon (with APDS Ver|cr|6d*10(2)|25|15|2,700|10,200|8|200) and a
    coaxial 10mm minigun (Ver(C)|Cr|13d(2)|20|14|1,650|7,500|100|5,000) as well
    as the ATGM launcher (Crit|IIRHPU|Sxp|6d*60(10)|800|17|13,600|20|19|1/3).
    In the rear of the vehicle sit six dismount troopers who leave through two
    hatches in the backside (no place for a ramp). Nevertheless, there is space
    for a few hundred pounds of extra ammo and spares.
        The IFV is a TL06 vehicle [2nd ed.].
        
    Subassemblies and Body features:  Fully rotating turret, small turret on
        the main turret, two improved-suspension tracks, 60 degree front slope.
    Propulsion:  750 KW tracked drivetrain (HP 100).
    Weaponry:  4mmCL "Missile Defense Gatling" (sTuF, HP 4) with 15,000 rounds,
        fully stabilized 10mmCL "Coaxial Minigun" (TuF, HP 6) with 5,000 rounds
        APS, fully stabilized 40mmCL "Heavy Autocannon" (TuF, HP 25) with 200
        rounds APDS, 100 rounds HEPF, 200 rounds HEPD, 100mm "Tankbuster ATGM"
        with 10 missiles (stored in body).
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled long-range radios (Tu, HP 2,
        1,000 miles), medium lasercom (Tu, HP 2, 200 miles), LLTV (x30, +4/+9,
        HP 3), two radars (sTu, 10 miles, scan 17, HP 4), two thermographs (Tu,
        10 miles, scan 17, HP 4), two IFF (HP 1), two military GPS (HP 1), two
        HUDWAC with pupil scanner, laser rangefinder (Tu, 15 miles, HP 2),
        advanced radar/laser detector (HP 3), eight dischargers (HP 6), three
        genius minicomps (C4, HP 6) with three terminals (HP 10). Software:
        Datalink, three targeting (C4, +5), gunner (skill 12).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Compact fire extinguisher, winch (ST 40, HP 10).
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew:  Three normal workstations, two of them in
        the turret. Passengers:  Six cramped seats. Environmental controls and
        NBC kit.
    Power:  760 KW turbocharged ceramic engine (HP 60) with 228 gallons diesel
        (self-sealing, HP 75, fire on 8) for ten hours. 0.85 KW excess power.
    Space:  148.62 cf plus 5.34 cf access and/or cargo space.
    Volume:  Small turret 2 cf, turret 100 cf, body 600 cf, tracks 360 cf.
    Area:  Small turret 10, turret 150, body 500, tracks 400, total area 1,060.
    Structure:  XH frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 3,600, turret 900, small turret 60, tracks 800.
    Armor:  220 points expensive laminate armor, with slope DR 440 on front and
        DR 220 elsewhere (including small turret, tracks, ...).
    Surface features:  Seal, basic IR cloaking, basic stealth.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 28 tons, usual payload 2 tons, loaded weight 30
        tons, volume 1,062 cf, size modifier +4, Cost $2,594,901.6, HT 12.
    Ground Performance:  Speed 70, acceleration 4 mph/s, deceleration 20 mph/s,
        gMR 0.75, gSR 7, very low GP, off-road speed 4/5.

The MBT is again a M1-update.

Problems:
- What happens to loader requirements after the mass of a big round is cut
  for ETC or caseless modifications?
- How do you fill a tank body to reach a decent size?
- Is it just me or is the new armor system more clumsy than the old?
- What about the weight? Ten more tons of armor would be useful, but the M1A1
  with uranium inserts is by most standards overweight ...

I upgraded the main gun to 140mm. Germany is currenty thinking about going to
that size in the (far) future, and if we're first within NATO that would be
precedent for the next "standard".

TL8 140mm Electrothermal Tank Cannon
    This large-caliber cannon should be able to kill even MBTs. With
    electrothermal technology ammo weight is kept manageable (and it
    boosts the punch as well). Nevertheless, a 3rd gunner is required.
    140mmET Cannon       $550,000   5,300    lbs.   106      cf
      1 round APFSDSDU     $1,680      46.67 lbs.     0.4667 cf
      1 round HEDP           $420      46.67 lbs.     0.4667 cf
    Round    Malf Type Damage        SS Acc 1/2D   Max    RoF Power
    APFSDSDU Crit Cr   6d*64(3)      30 16  7,500  22,500 1/7 28 MWs
    HEDP     Crit Sxp  6d*23(5)[10d] 30 16  5,000  15,000 1/7 28 MWs

MBT v0.1 (TL 6)
        
        Expensive and deadly. This Main Battle Tank (MBT) is lighter than late-
    model M1A1, but advanced tech compensates for that.
        The missile defense weapon, in a separate turret with two radars, is a
    16-barrel gatling (Ver(C)|Cr|4d|17|11|450|3,000|200|15,000). The 140mm main
    gun (with APFSDSDU Crit|Cr|6d*64(3)|30|16|7,500|22,500|1/7|42) requires not
    just a gunner and a loader but a specialized power technician since it is
    an electrothermal cannon with a photonic storage loop. Coaxial to that is a
    10mm minigun (Ver(C)|Cr|13d(2)|20|14|1,650|7,500|100|5,000).
        The MBT is a TL06 vehicle [2nd ed.].
        
    Subassemblies and Body features:  Main turret with full rotation, 60 degree
        front and 30 degree side slopes, small turret with full rotation on top
        of main turret, improved-suspension tracks, total compartmentalization
        and 60 degree front slope.
    Propulsion:  1.5 MW tracked drivetrain (HP 125).
    Weaponry:  4mmCL "Missile Defense Gatling" (sTuF, HP 4) with 15,000 rounds,
        fully stabilized 10mmCL "Coaxial Minigun" (TuF, HP 6) with 5,000 rounds
        APS and fully stabilized 140mm "ETCannon" (TuF, HP 150) with 42 rounds
        APFSDSDU and 18 rounds HEDP in anti-blast magazines.
    Instruments and Electronics:  Two scrambled long-range radios (Tu, HP 2,
        1,000 miles), two medium laser communicators (Tu, HP 2, 200 miles),
        LLTV (x25, +4/+8, HP 2), two radars (sTu, 10 miles, scan 17, HP 4), two
        thermographs (Tu, 20 miles, scan 19, HP 6), two IFF (HP 1), INS (HP 4),
        two mil. GPS (HP 1), two HUDWAC with pupil scanner, laser rangefinder
        (Tu, 25 miles, HP 4), two advanced radar/laser detectors (HP 3), 12
        dischargers (HP 6), three genius minicomps (C4, HP 6) with five
        terminals (HP 10). Software: Datalink, three targeting (C4, +5), gunner
        (skill 12).
    Miscellaneous Components:  Fire suppression.
    Controls:  Computerized. Crew:  Five normal workstations, three of them in
        the turret. Environmental controls and NBC kit.
    Power:  1.8 MW turbocharged ceramic engine (HP 125) with 648 gallons diesel
        (self-sealing, HP 150, fire on 8) for 12 hours. 10 KW ceramic engine
        (HP 6) consuming 0.3 gph (only for standby power). 2 GWs rechargeable
        power cells (HP 10). 301.95 KW excess power.
    Space:  15 cf cargo space, 1.52 + 0.36 cf waste space.
    Volume:  Small turret 2 cf, turret 250 cf (adjusted 400 cf), body 400 cf
        (adjusted 500 cf), tracks 360 cf.
    Area:  Small turret 10, turret 400, body 400, tracks 300, total area 1,110.
    Structure:  XH frame.
    Hit Points:  Body 2,400, turret 2,400, small turret 60, tracks 800.
    Armor:  Advanced laminate armor, F2,500 B315 R315 L315 T315 U250, TuF2,000
        TuR 600 TuL 600 TuT 500, Tracks and small turret 460.
    Surface features:  Seal, basic emission cloaking, basic sound baffling,
        basic stealth, basic chameleon.
    Statistics:  Empty weight 59 tons, usual payload 1 ton, loaded weight 60
        tons, volume 1,262 cf, size modifier +4, Cost $7,792,059.6, HT 9.
    Ground Performance:  Speed 70, acceleration 4 mph/s, deceleration 20 mph/s,
        gMR 0.75, gSR 7, low GP, off-road speed 2/3.