Subject: Re: Gyroplanes
From: [email-masked] (Dr Kromm)

> What is the cost and mass of a gyrocopter's rotor?

     Use the stats for a *single* rotor of the type used by a MMR
helicopter (0.02 x body volume). Calculate its area as per p. 18
(i.e., 3 x the area given by the chart). To fly, the thing uses 
an airscrew rather than a helicopter drivetrain; just work out 
the stats as per "Aerial Performance," p. 133ff, using the rotor
area as the lift area in the stall speed formula and the rotor
hit points in the aMR formula. If the vehicle has wings as well,
add their area and hit points into the formulae.
 
> It wouldn't be a TTR, multiple rotor, or CAR, they only have 
> top rotors, as they are in constant autorotation there is no 
> torque.

     True. Basically, though, it's assumed that rotors big enough
to fly with are always 0.02 x body volume, one way or another.
     -- Kromm

From: "Christopher M. Dicely" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Gyroplanes

> Has anyone been able to successfully create gyroplane with the rules
> in Vehicles 2?
> 
> There is a picture of the CarterCopter on p.135 and a Groen Hawk on
> p.8, yet I was unable to create a gyrocopter solely with the rules in
> Veh2!
...

Use the 0.02 x Body Volume for the Rotor subassembly, as for TTR or CAR,
or one rotor of an MMR, but don't add a drivetrain. Once you've done
that, the surface area of the subassembly will contribute to the
vehicles
structural surface area, which will result in the cost and mass, don't
forget the vehicle *will* get the x10 Wing/Rotor structural cost
multiplier.