Subject: 'Suited Infantry

From: Josh Kortbein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 09:27:27 -0600 (CST)

I caught some interest for this 'suit, so here it is... I was
wondering if you could give me sugestions for improving it (I'm trying to
come up with a great standard 'suit for drop troops like those described
in Heinlein's "Starship Troopers"); if you see any major flaws, they're
probably only there because this is my second or third vehicle! If there
are any, there's probably one in the vertol flight system -- but I can't
tell... Enjoy!

Manly Battlesuit-type Instrument of Destruction (TL 12)
        This 'suit is the futuristic infantryman's dream come true, with
armor enough for a small tank, and weapons powerful enough to scare off
any pesky natives that might dare to venture near. It has a pseudo-head
(a head-shaped thing where a turret should be on an average 'suit),
two arms, and two legs. The vertol flight system, intended to provide
the wearer with a powerful jumping enhancement, was over-designed at
the factory; it also provides the wearer with flight capability! The
fusion rifle listed under the armament section is from GURPS Ultra-Tech;
it is used in conjunction with the caseless gatling, which is fortunate
since the gatling runs out of ammo in five seconds at full fire!
        No guarantees are made as to the effectiveness of this battlesuit
or to the correctness of its statistics; after all, it *is* only my
second try at building a vehicle!
        Structure: 35 cf medium advanced body, maximum load 1400 lbs. (body
HT 112.5). Walker motive system with two legs (PD 6, DR 75, HT 56 per
leg), sealed body, improved suspension, advanced controls, responsive
hull. Vertol lift system.
        Propulsion: 88 KW walker drivetrain. Reactionless thruster with
10 lbs. of thrust on back.
        Power: Cold fusion power plant with 500 KW output (HT 8), powers suit
for 2 years unless something terrible happens. Reactionless thruster
requires no power, thanks to ultra-modern technology.
        Accommodation: Worn as battlesuit; due to suit size, wearer's
extremities are partially to completely in suit's extremities.
        Crew Requirements: One operator.
        Armor: 750 points of advanced TL 12 armor, distributed as follows:
F8/6/150, B8/6/150, R8/6/150, L8/6/150, T8/6/150, U8/6/150, LL8/6/150,
RL8/6/150, RA8/6/150, LA8/6/150. The first numbers are Deflection Shield
PD; the second and third are normal armor PD and DR, repectively.
        Accessories: Ghost surface, Deflection shields (.75 KWH per second),
Grav Compensators (.25 KW power req.), Improved IR Cloaking, Limited
Lifesystem (1 man-day), NBC Kit, Radiation Shielding, Sound Baffling,
SR Thermograph, Virtual Panorama (requires neural interface), HUDWAC
with pupil scanner (normally projects using neural interface), Heavy
Arms (2 arms, ST 93 per arm, HT 56.25 per arm), Neural Induction Field,
Neutrino Communicator, Extra D Cell.
        Weaponry: Monowire claws on both mecha arms. LT Missile Launcher (HT
10) with SREM on back. 20mm Caseless Gatling with 500 rounds of HEDP on
right mecha arm. Fusion Rifle with D Cell in left hip holster.
        Statistics: Cost $570160, Design Mass 1271 lbs., Max. Payload 129
lbs., Current Payload 120 lbs., Loaded Mass 1391 lbs., Loaded Mass in
Tons .6955 tons, Size Modifier +1, Radar Signature +1, IR Signature -8,
Acoustic Signature -8.
        Ground Performance: Ground speed factor 12, top ground speed 60 mph,
acceleration 7.5 mph/s, deceleration 25 mph/s, MR 4.5, SR 3.
        Air Performance: Air speed factor 60, top air speed 94.5 mph,
acceleration 3.5 mph/s, deceleration 10 mph/s, MR 7.25, SR 2, flight
ceiling 2835 yards.

...............................................................................
Josh Kortbein                                   [email-masked]

"Doll steak. Test meat." -- Milk It by Nirvana, from In Utero
...............................................................................